5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 18, 2012 2:36 PM by preditorj40153117

Camera Flash Simulation

preditorj40153117 Level 1

I have a live performance that i want to make feel more active. So i wanted to try to make it look like people were taking pictures during the performance.

I tried to overlay a 60% opacity duplicate of the video that was lightened and use that as a way to create the flash but boy does it look cheesy. The keyframes over 4 frames starts at 100 and fades to 0. CHEEEEZYY:-o The blacks in the flash look too washed to be believeable.

I have Ae cs5&6 with most of redgiants plugins (2years old).

What you suggest as the best way to accomplis a realistic flashing of cameras?

perormance shot.png

• 1. Re: Camera Flash Simulation
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

Duplicate the layer and set the duplicate's in and out points for one frame only.  Roto out the subject and adjust the Levels effect on the duplicated layer.

• 2. Re: Camera Flash Simulation
            lasvideo Level 4

Cutting to then fading out of a white solid layer placed above your image  will also work . After the cut immediately do a 5 frame opacity fade. Quick, easy and it looks great. This flash layer can be quickly duplicated and used on other shots as well.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Camera Flash Simulation
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Without 3rd party plug-ins the best way to do this is to roto about 5 or 6 frames of your foreground object, feather the mask, blur the layer, tint the layer bluish then set the blend mode to Add. Now put a black solid below the masked layer add lens flair. Add a white solid above set to screen or add. Animate transparency and if you would like the mask feather. There you go. A nice flash simulation. The white solid provides a few frames of illumination for the entire scene, the duplicated and blurred layer gives you added illumination to the foreground, the lens flair helps sell the effect. EZ as pie.

flash.jpg

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Camera Flash Simulation

Thanks for your help.

For this particular scene i used Daves technique because of the venue it was shot. However, I did also use the lens flare behind the subject as suggested by rick to effect the wall by blending it into the video which made the flash have a subtile effect of direction. VERY LOW opacity.

• 5. Re: Camera Flash Simulation

I removed the lens flare and added a wall shaddow and it look better in the context of the video. The saturation/ burned color worked well i will post a link to the final when i am done later tonight.

This is what it looks like when the flash takes place. I may add glow too.

flash remix.png

There is one other thing. The SEQ is not updating these changes in the changes. The project assets are but not the SEQ. So, i have to drag it to the SEQ for every change. WIERDNESS.

I lower the opacity on the shadow you see.