5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 17, 2012 1:05 PM by Steven L. Gotz

Losing Too Much Quality Exportin Still Image Background?

e5ofclay

Hi guys, I’ve been using Photoshop for quite some time and figured I would delve into the world of Video Editing to further a project I have been doing.

The Project I have tasked myself with is creating a customized Desktop that I hope I will be able to do for other people in the future (different themes, of course).

I am just about complete with my project, but have run into a situation that could spoil the whole thing. You see, I created a 2048x1152 pixel image to be used in conjunction with four different videos overlayed on top of that image as the background.

Backgroundsave1virussimulatorstage5.jpg

This is the image I am using as the Background for the video, the four red boxes in the center are where four different videos will be going. Now, that is not the problem, I figured out how to do all of that. My problem is making sure the IMAGE comes out just as clean as it went in. The quality of the 4 videos does not have to be fantastic, but the IMAGE, shown above, does. I've tried a lot of guesstimating to see if I could randomly get the right outcome, but it's proving rather futile .

After I solve this, I'll have to convert to Mpeg or WMV to use for Dreamscene, as those are the only formats Dreamscene will allow me to use as a Desktop. But, the image quality loss comes from exporting out from Adobe Premiere.

Is there a certain Sequence Preset I should use to help me with this? Does that even matter?

• 1. Re: Losing Too Much Quality Exportin Still Image Background?
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

In general, a menu screen or image must be sized to match the type of video

DVD is 720x480 so anything larger is going to be reduced to fit the specification http://forums.adobe.com/thread/544206

I don't do BluRay, so have not paid much attention to the HiDef screen size for that format

If this will not be for DVD or BluRay... I have no idea

This may help

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/mediaencoder/cs/using/WS725e431141e7ba651e63e3d1267818bc51-800 0.html

or... Encore Import Formats http://forums.adobe.com/thread/622722

• 2. Re: Losing Too Much Quality Exportin Still Image Background?
            e5ofclay Level 1

I'll take a look at that, but it won't be used for DvD or BluRay. It's going to be used as a desktop "image" background played as a looped video.

• 3. Re: Losing Too Much Quality Exportin Still Image Background?
              e5ofclay Level 1

Well, that didn't work.

I'm not sure what to do at this point. The Preview in Adobe Premiere has the good quality I am looking for, but whenever I export, the quality is just not up to par.

• 4. Re: Losing Too Much Quality Exportin Still Image Background?
                Jim_Simon Level 8

To export without any quality loss, you need something lossless.  Most of the options in PP are lossy.

You'll need Uncompressed, or to add something like the Lagarith or UT codecs to your system.

Having said that, you will lose quality going to MPEG or WMV.

• 5. Re: Losing Too Much Quality Exportin Still Image Background?
                  Steven L. Gotz Level 5

I highly suggest that you resize the background to match the size of the monitor it will be played on.

So, if this were for my PC, you would set it to 1920X1080 for one of my monitors.

That will keep Premiere Pro from having to resample your image. Better to let Photoshop do that, or for that matter, build it at the correct size to begin with to be perfectly lossless going into Premiere Pro. The closer that the export is to the import, the better it will look in most cases.

If your monitor is actually 2048x1152 then first of all, I am a little jealous, and second, you should be fine. Just create a sequence using custom settings and set it to use square pixels at 2048x1152.

Now, let's discuss exporting from Premiere Pro.

Apparently, Dreamscene wants a WMV file which isn't a great idea, but so be it. They also allow MPEG1 or MPEG2 which are generally considered even worse options. For now, let's address the Windows Media File option even though you could use something else by renaming the file extension.

They suggest using 6Mb/s. Your image looks OK at that rate, but not great. The umbrellas and the white print are fine, but the red lines and red print have issues. That led me to open your image in Photoshop and look at the actual colors of the red. They are VERY red. You might want to dial them back a little to broadcast safe. No colors over 235. That helps a little from what I can tell. I also suggest you take out most if not all of the red glow behind the red type. I looked at the image in Photoshop at 200% and I can see that the print is pretty bad just in Photoshop so it can't be very good in Premiere Pro. I understand the point of the glow, but I think you might find that it does that without any help when exported from Premiere Pro. You might find that eliminating the glow effect means you can leave your reds the way they are. I can't tell. If I had the original Photoshop file I would test it for you, but I don't. I have a feeling you are trying to create an image that looks like a video screen, and in so doing, you are adding in the problems that Premiere Pro will have without assistance.

If you want to send me the original PSD I would be happy to test out my theories for you.

Steven