1 2 Previous Next 62 Replies Latest reply on May 31, 2013 10:28 AM by Asimomo

Asus P9X79 WS Build Issues

Asimomo

I've just put together the following combination-

Asus P9X79 WS

G.Skill RipjawsZ  F3-14900CL9Q2-32GBZL (4Gx8), total 64GB

Plextor px-256M5p -C drive.

Enthusiast Series™ Modular TX850M — 80 PLUS® Bronze Certified 850 Watt High Performance Modular Power Supply

EVGA Geforce GTX 670, 4GB

Processor i7- 3930k, 3.2ghz, 12mb cach, lga2011, 130w

NH-D14  SE2011- cooler.

Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA 6Gb/s 64MB 7200RPM Hard Drive (x 6 in Raid 5)

Windows 7 Pro 64bit

I've got some questions- the memory speed of G.Skill is 1866Mhz, but when the computer boots its shows as 1333MHz. Does that mean the above memory is not compatible with my choosen motherboard. Or have I been sold slower memory labelled at a faster speed?

Secondly when I try to install Intel Rapid storage technology enterprise version 3.0.0.3011, to set up my 6 disks into raid 5 configuration. It starts installing but then it just sits at 'installing driver intel (R) C600 series chipset sata raid controller'. It's like if the driver can't be written. Has anyone else had this issue and how did you resolve?

If I bought a hardware RAID controller, can anyone recommend a budget one which will do a good job?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Asus P9X79 WS Build Issues
          Harm Millaard Level 7

1. Have you updated your BIOS to version 3209?

2. Have you set under AITweaker the XMP profile to be used for RAM?

3. Did you install Windows with the F6 option?

4. You can't use raid5 on a combination of Intel and Marvell ports.

5. All parity raids using on-board controller are ill-advised. They put too much of a burden on the CPU.

6. Budget dedicated raid controller is the LSI Megaraid SAS 9260-8i.

It goes far beyond what you are asking, but this may contain interesting material: Planning & Building a NLE System

• 2. Re: Asus P9X79 WS Build Issues
            Asimomo Level 1

Hi Harm,

Thanks for the quick response.

1. Have you updated your BIOS to version 3209?

Bios is at the latest version 3209, it was at 1305 out of box.

No I haven't, I don't know what this is?

Can I have 6 disks in Raid 5 configuration using the on board RAID (software) controller? When and how I manage to load the RAID drivers succesfully.

Can you please recommend good budget hardware RAID controller for 6 disks? What one are you using?

Thanks.

• 3. Re: Asus P9X79 WS Build Issues
              Harm Millaard Level 7

2. Press DEL when booting to enter the BIOS, press F7 or the Advanced button, go to the AI Tweaker tab and then setup the AI Overclock Tuner to use XMP profile.

3. Yes, but it is not advisable, because first of all you reduce all connected drives to SATA 3G, and you lose two SATA 6G ports. Second, the on-board Intel controller is lousy with parity raids with a huge overhead and absolutely terrible rebuild times. This only works if you have installed Windows with the F6 option. Otherwise you have to start from scratch.

4. I advised you the LSI Megaraid 9260-8i, see post above under point 6.

5. All is described in the article I linked to, but here is a shortcut: Final Results, Reflections and here: The Price Tag

This sounds:

G.Skill RipjawsZ  F3-14900CL9Q2-32GBZL (4Gx8), total 64GB

suspicuously like 32 GB, not 64 GB.

• 4. Re: Asus P9X79 WS Build Issues
                Asimomo Level 1

Hi Harm,

I must of missed your question 3 onwards, sorry.

Tweaked RAM in Bios now to X.M.P profile and memory now showing in bios as 1866Mhz. I guess when all is set to Auto the system plays it safe and sets memory speed to 1333Mhz?

3. Did you install Windows with the F6 option?

No.

Window 7 64bit version is installed on my Plextor PX-256M5P drive which is connected to SATA6G_E1 port and the other SATA6G_E2 is connected to the blu ray drive (LiteOn iHBS112- internal blu ray SATA drive).

If I don't use the SATA3G_1 -> SATA3G_6 ports for Raid 5 and go for an hardware based Raid solution, what is the best way to set up Plextor PX-256M5P drive and LiteOn iHBS112- internal blu ray drive, I mean on which ports? The plan was to set up my Raid 5 configuration on the SATA3G_1 -> SATA3G_6 ports. Use the following drives-

Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA 6Gb/s 64MB 7200RPM Hard Drive (x 6 in Raid 5).

As you have explained that it doesn't make sense to do so. I will be opting for and hardware Raid solution.

4. I advised you the LSI Megaraid 9260-8i, see post above under point 6.

Thanks. Do you think the Raid controller you are using is overkill for my setup Areca ARC-1882-iX-24 Gen 3, raid controller PCIe-3.0, 4 GB cache and cables). Not knowing very much about Raid controllers- what to look for etc, is a shot in the dark for me. You have recommemnded-

LSI Megaraid 9260-8i  as budget and I gather the one you are using is top of the line Areca ARC-1882-iX-24 Gen 3. Is there anything inbetween?

I must confess all the spec I have taken from your future build web page which you haven't updated since March the last time I looked.

This sounds:

G.Skill RipjawsZ F3-14900CL9Q2-32GBZL (4Gx8), total 64GB

suspicuously like 32 GB, not 64 GB.

I'm using two of these therefore 64GB.

For completeness, any idea why I can't install Intel Rapid storage technology enterprise version 3.0.0.3011,. It starts installing but then it just sits at 'installing driver intel (R) C600 series chipset sata raid controller'. It's like if the driver can't be written. I'll mention no drives are connected to the SATA3G_1 -> SATA3G_6 ports. Just the Plextor PX-256M5P drive which is connected to SATA6G_E1 port and the other SATA6G_E2 is connected to the blu ray drive (LiteOn iHBS112- internal blu ray SATA drive). There is no other software installed or hardware connected apart from the Windows 7 64bit and the latest Asus drivers from Asus website.

Thanks.

• 5. Re: Asus P9X79 WS Build Issues
                  Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

These drives are not suggested for anything but RAID 0, 1, or 10. 

Asimomo wrote:

Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA 6Gb/s 64MB 7200RPM Hard Drive (x 6 in Raid 5).

Test each individual drive with something like HD Tune Pro for both reading and writing before you use them.  I just got one out the last batch I bought that had terrible performance and it is going back to Seagate.  Also the first batch I bought came from Thailand and this last batch was from China!

• 6. Re: Asus P9X79 WS Build Issues
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

2. That is correct. Now that memory uses the XMP profile, it will use the 1866 speed.

3. You have 6 Intel SATA connectors, 2 of them SATA 6G and 4 SATA 3G. In addition you have 2 SATA 6G connectors on the Marvell, the blue ones.

If you want to use the Intel connectors for on-board raid, you have to install raid drivers first from the Windows DVD by pressing F6 before Windows actually installs. It is the first question asked when you boot from DVD. But I also explained why that is not such a good idea.

4. The LSI has 8 ports total, sufficient for your purposes with 6 disks planned for now and still enough room for 2 more in the future. The current price here is € 462. In contrast my Areca has 24 internal ports plus 4 external ports, 28 total, has 4 GB DDR3-1333 cache memory (LSI only 512 MB DDR2-800) and a battery backup module with a price of € 1515, including 6 SFF-8087 forward breakout cables. Prices are including VAT.

In your case this seems way overkill, unless you follow my path and use a  huge raid array with 24 disks and possibly adding 4 more.

G.Skill RipjawsZ F3-14900CL9Q2-32GBZL (4Gx8), total 64GB...I'm using two of these therefore 64GB.

This should then be rephrased to:

2 x G.Skill RipjawsZ F3-14900CL9Q2-32GBZL (8Gx4), total 64GB

For completeness, any idea why I can't install Intel Rapid storage technology enterprise version 3.0.0.3011...

Because you did not install raid drivers before installing Windows, by pressing F6 in the very first step of installation.

• 7. Re: Asus P9X79 WS Build Issues
                      Asimomo Level 1

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the heads up. I've had a look at all six drives and they are all made in China. I'm going to see if I can return the hard disks and possible go for same one as Harms Monster build. Either the 2GB version or 1GB version.

It works out as (2TB version HDD)-

Seagate 2TB Constellation.ES.2 SATA 6Gb/s 7200RPM 64MB 3.5"  --> £161.50 x 6     £969.04

LSI Megaraid SAS 9260-8i                                                                           -->                           £389.64

Total cost of 12TB plus Raid controller £1358.68

(1TB version HDD)-

Seagate 1TB Constellation.ES.2 SATA 6Gb/s 7200RPM 64MB 3.5" --> £83.98 x 6      £503.88

LSI Megaraid SAS 9260-8i --> £389.64

Total cost of 6TB plus Raid controller £893.52 a saving of £465.16

Now the question is do I need 12TB --> Raid 5 (10TB) or can i get away with 6TB --> Raid 5 (5TB). If I'm editing SD footage and XDCAM HD footage. What do you guys think? If I go for the 6TB would it be better for me to go for 6 1TB hard disk drives or 3 2TB drives? Taking into account I'll be setting up Raid 5 with LSI Megaraid SAS 9260-8i. 

• 8. Re: Asus P9X79 WS Build Issues

It all depends on your work flow and how many projects you have going at the same time.  Now me, I have two or three projects active at one time and my current biggest project is ~50 GB, three cameras and a little over one hour.  When I get through I then archive to other disks.  My editing RAID 0 array (I live dangerous and I am retired--so not really in the video editing business) is composed of 8 each 146 GB 15,000 rpm SAS drives for slightly over 1 TB of storage.  So you now know my philosophy on strorge  I do have lots of disks setting around with old stuff on them probably at least 35 TB of offline storage, and that is not counting a bunch more old PATA drives.

• 9. Re: Asus P9X79 WS Build Issues
                          Asimomo Level 1

Hi Harm,

If you want to use the Intel connectors for on-board raid, you have to install raid drivers first from the Windows DVD by pressing F6 before Windows actually installs. It is the first question asked when you boot from DVD. But I also explained why that is not such a good idea.

For completeness, any idea why I can't install Intel Rapid storage technology enterprise version 3.0.0.3011...

Because you did not install raid drivers before installing Windows, by pressing F6 in the very first step of installation.

Just a little confussed about the Raid drivers, now you are saying I should have installed them from the Windows 7 64 bit DVD and not download ('Intel Rapid storage technology enterprise version 3.0.0.3011') from Asus website? Another words are the ''Intel Rapid storage technology enterprise version 3.0.0.3011'', drivers also on the Windows 7 64bit DVD?

When booting after bios has initialised, the question is asked do you want to boot from windows DVD (If windows DVD is in blu ray drive) at that point I press F6 and it should install the 'Intel Rapid storage technology enterprise version 3.0.0.3011' driver- Yes? After installation of Raid driver how do i install windows 7? This is on my Plextor drive we are talking about?

• 10. Re: Asus P9X79 WS Build Issues
                            Asimomo Level 1

Hi Bill,

Do you have any idea what the difference is between Seagate Constellation ES and Seagate Constellation CS drives as the CS version are cheaper. Are also in the same group of drives as ES.

Thanks.

• 11. Re: Asus P9X79 WS Build Issues
                              Harm Millaard Level 7

Another words are the ''Intel Rapid storage technology enterprise version 3.0.0.3011'', drivers also on the Windows 7 64bit DVD?

They may be older and may need an update later, but the required drivers are on the Windows DVD and you need to install whatever version is on that DVD first.

• 12. Re: Asus P9X79 WS Build Issues
                                Asimomo Level 1

Hi Harm,

I'll do a re- install of the operating system and let you know how I get on.

Thanks.

• 13. Re: Asus P9X79 WS Build Issues

Sorry but I am not knowledgeable on either of those two series, maybe Harm knows as he has just acquired some.

• 15. Re: Asus P9X79 WS Build Issues
                                    Asimomo Level 1

Hi Harm,

Thanks for the links above.

Just wondering how you came to your decision in using Seagate Constellation ES and didn't go for a drive like the Seagate Constellation CS. The CS version is cheaper, it is in the same family as the ES. You don't outline anything in your Planning & Building a NLE System, that I could see.

• 16. Re: Asus P9X79 WS Build Issues
                                      Harm Millaard Level 7

Your question and looking up the various versions of the Constellation, especially the ES.5, which was not yet introduced at the moment I decided, did not show any CS drives available here, so I could not and still can't compare their prices. Can't find the ES.5 range either in price lists. The overriding argument I had for the 1 TB ES version was - considering I needed 25 of them to start with - price.

I was suspicious of the Barracuda line, because of disastrous experiences with the 7200.11 line with failure rates of over 120% and the limited warranty of the 7200.14 line. You may wonder how it is possible to have a failure rate over 100%. Well, I added failures of disks that were already replaced under warranty. Out of 7 disks, replacing 5 of them under warranty, followed by 4 more failures left me with 9 failed drives on the 7 I originally bought.

So I wanted a Constellation disk and even though it is not the fastest in their line-up, it had the reliability of a 24/7 disk, it had a much nicer price than the ES.2 line and were readily available and with 25 of them that adds up. Maybe I'm wrong, but I also thought that with 24 of them in a single array, I would not get much benefit from faster disks due to limitations of the PCIe connection, and controller overhead. With effectively 18 TB that was more than enough space for me, so no reason to look for bigger disks.

• 17. Re: Asus P9X79 WS Build Issues
                                        Asimomo Level 1

Hi Harm,

I've been away on holiday and the build stoped dead.

Now I'm back, I have purchased Seagate Constellation ES.2 2TB hard disc drives (x6). Also purchased the LSI Megaraid SAS 9260-8i controller. I was going to go for the cheaper Seagate Constellation CS drives- I didn't want to take the risk as they aren't recommend, plus haven't been tested that I could see.

In the Megaraid storage manager (GU version for windows 7). The drives are coming up as 1.819TB each. If you multiply this by 6 equals 10.914TB. If I try and set up a virtual drive in RAID 5 this gives me 9.094TB, I gather I'm losing 1.819TB because of the RAID set up?

So how do I set the virtual drive up, do I just go for one 9.094TB virtual drive in RAID 5? Put everything on this - (media, projects, media cache, previews, exports). Or do I create separate 5 virtual drives in RAID 5? If so how do I allocate in terms of TB space? Do I just divide 9.094TB / 5?

No need to worry about C drive as the operating system is on a separate SSD (Plextor px-256M5p).

Thanks.

• 18. Re: Asus P9X79 WS Build Issues
                                          UlfLaursen Level 2

Just to let you know, I have the 4 channel version of the LSI raid controller, and I love it. I think you will be satisfied too.

I am sure Harm can answer your question :)

Ulf

• 19. Re: Asus P9X79 WS Build Issues
                                            Harm Millaard Level 7

Asimomo,

6 x 2TB raw capacity translates into 6 x 1862 GB (1.819 TB) formatted capacity. Now by raiding these disks  you lose effectively one disk for the parity (redundancy) information, so your net capacity will be 5 x 1.819TB = 9.094 TB. This is wholly due to the raid level.

In my case I have 24 x 1 TB disks in a single raid30 array, 3 x 7 R3 plus 3 global hot-spares.

It looks like this:

Raw_raid_capacity.png

So I started out with 24 TB raw capacity, but because of my raid level and hot-spares I'm only left with 18 TB raw capacity.  Effectively 6 disks down the drain, but that is what security buys. Next you need to format those disks under Windows and then more overhead comes in, so I finally ended up with a net capacity of only:

Net-raid-capacity.png

In the end I started out with 24 TB unformatted capacity and was left with only 16.3 TB formatted capacity. That is all in the game.

For ease of use, easy administration and pure laziness I opted to put everything (media, projects, cache, previews) on a single volume but with transfer rates around 2500+ MB/s that is no problem.

I have only 4 volumes, one C: for OS & programs, one D: for Windows temp files and local downloads, the massive E: drive for all video stuff and a 4-th F: drive for stock footage and audio.

Drives.png

• 20. Re: Asus P9X79 WS Build Issues
                                              UlfLaursen Level 2

Ok, Harm, can I ask you something in connection to this reg. my own config. I am a little unsure how to configure "what goes where"

I have these discs:

Corsair 256 GB Pro (holds atm system and pagefile)

Single 1.5 TB WD black (all kinds of stuff other than video)

Raid 0 - 2 x Caviar 600 GB (holds now project files and maedia for PPRO)

Raid 0 - 2 x Caviar 1 TB (holds render now)

Should I add another single disc for project files alone and/or move the pagefile?

Thanks

Ulf

• 21. Re: Asus P9X79 WS Build Issues
                                                Asimomo Level 1

Hi Harm,

Just to get my head around this virtual drive business, so what you did was create one RAID drive. In your RAID controller software running in Windows, then did you import this drive in Windows and format it? Just a bit confussed as all this RAID controller / drive is new to me.

So if I create 5 Virtual drives from 9.094TB for (media, projects, media cache, previews, exports). What percentage will I allocate to what? By creating 5 vitual drives in a RAID 5 scenario have any performance implications rather than having one 9.094TB virtual drive in RAID 5?

Thanks

• 22. Re: Asus P9X79 WS Build Issues
                                                  Asimomo Level 1

Hi Ulflauren,

I don't mean to be rude, but can you please create your own thread, I would like to keep the discussion to my own build.

Thanks.

• 23. Re: Asus P9X79 WS Build Issues
                                                    Harm Millaard Level 7

Your intention of first creating a 6 disk parity raid array, for safety of course and most importantly speed, makes a lot of sense. But breaking them out again into 5 virtual volumes escapes me. That defeats the purpose of the raid array and you may be better off with individual disks.

@ Ulf, I'll get back to you by PM.

• 24. Re: Asus P9X79 WS Build Issues
                                                      Asimomo Level 1

Hi Harm,

The LSI Windows RAID software lets you create virtual drives in a RAID array. In order to do that you first have to create a virtual drive. Now I can either create one RAID 5- 9.094TB virtual drive or I can create multiple drives up to the value of 9.094TB in RAID 5.

Thats my understanding, have I got it wrong?

What I would like in RAID 5 is different drives- D, E, F, G and H to store (media, projects, media cache, previews, exports). How would I get this if I've just got one 9.094TB RAID 5 array drive? 

• 25. Re: Asus P9X79 WS Build Issues
                                                        Harm Millaard Level 7

What you are intending to do is exactly similar to partitioning a single disk into 5 volumes, as was done in the past. That makes no sense and I wonder why you would want to do it in the first place?

Imagine what happens. You have limited space on each volume. You have much more effort to keep your administration in order, what to put where, and most importantly, when you decide to store something on volume X, your disk heads have to move much futher than on a single volume to write the data, causing more wear-and-tear and using much more overhead, while reducing the efficiency of the cache on the disks and controller, slowing performance.

• 26. Re: Asus P9X79 WS Build Issues
                                                          Asimomo Level 1

Hi Harm,

Ok, I understand what you are saying. But I'm just trying to get my head around organising (media, projects, media cache, previews, exports) in one drive. How on earth would I find anything if everything is in one virtual RAID 5 9.094TB drive? Imagine this over a period of time when you have all your media, projects, media cache, previews and exports in this one drive. I will have to do housekeeping on a regular basis.

How do you organise on your E (video) drive, do you have separate folders for media, projects, media cache, previews and exports?

• 27. Re: Asus P9X79 WS Build Issues
                                                            UlfLaursen Level 2

Asimomo wrote:

Hi Ulflauren,

I don't mean to be rude, but can you please create your own thread, I would like to keep the discussion to my own build.

Thanks.

Sure thing Asimomo - sorry for hijacking your thread...

/Ulf

• 28. Re: Asus P9X79 WS Build Issues
                                                              Harm Millaard Level 7

Asimomo,

I have everything organized by project with a central location for Media Cache. so it looks like this:

E:\Video Projects\Media Cache\Media Cache Files

E:\Video Projects\Media Cache\Media Cache

and

E:\Video Projects\Frans

E:\Video Projects\MOT

E:\Video Projects\Pien

E:\Video Projects\PPBM6

etc.

Each project uses dedicated directories for each camera involved in the project, so I can easily find all Canon MXF or Panny AVCHD or Sony HDV or GoPro media material. Within each camera directory I use separate subdirectories for each card or tape used. The Auto-Save and Preview Files are directly in the project directory, like:

E:\Video Projects\PPBM6\Adobe Premiere Pro Auto-Save or  E:\Video Projects\Indonesia\Adobe Premiere Pro Preview Files.

Encodes are in the same project directories, like E:\Video Projects\Pien\Pien & Bouquet\Sources

• 29. Re: Asus P9X79 WS Build Issues
                                                                Asimomo Level 1

Hi Harm,

Thanks.

Sorry I didn't make myself clear, just so use to having different drives set up for different media storage type. Like export, projects etc.

Just create one virtual RAID 5 9.094TB drive and then create folders as you have described above.

Any suggestions on what size I should make the stripe size? I read somewhere the larger the better? I can choose from 64KB to 1MB.

After I've created this virtual drive do I have to import the drive into Windows and format it there?

----------------------------------------------------------------

Just an update- I've put all 6 discs into RAID 5 9.094TB with stripe size as 1MB. Created a basic disc with partition style- GUID partition table (GPT). Did a quick format and have imported the drive in Windows 7 64 bit. In LSI storage manager software it's still doing some background intialisation. If I right click in Windows Explorer and look at properities of the disc, the size is showing as 9.09TB and 380MB used space.

The discs that you have set up are they the same configuration as your-

http://ppbm7.com/index.php/intro-part-1?showall=&start=5

• C: OS & programs: 4 x SSD in Raid10. One could always start with a single SSD.
                                                                • D: Pagefile, media cache, renders: 6 x HDD in Raid0 using 2 internal ports plus the 4 external ports.
                                                                • E: Media, exports and all other stuff: 22 x HDD in Raid30, including 2 hot-spares. 2 x (10 R3 + 1 HS).

Just wondering from the attached document above how they are set up your- D (Dufflebag), E (Video), F drives (Stock & Audio). Another words what RAID level, or non RAID?

Once I've created this build, I'll try and document so that any other person hoping to go this way can run with it!

Message was edited by: Asimomo

--------------------------------------------------------------

I ran a few disc performance tests to see if the RAID 5 configuration can cut the mustard, any comments / input appreciated.

Using Crystal Disk 3.0.2, 64 bit version

5 Passes and 50MB of data

Read                     Write

seq             166.8 MB/S           37.07 MB/S

512k           149.5 MB/S           42.14 MB/S

4K              5.566 MB/S           0.684 MB/S

4K QD32     67.63 MB/S           3.279 MB/S

5 Passes and 4000MB of data

seq             139.8 MB/S           31.33 MB/S

512k           50.26 MB/S           24.24 MB/S

4K              0.650 MB/S           0.360 MB/S

4K QD32     8.105 MB/S           2.576 MB/S

Message was edited by: Asimomo

• 30. Re: Asus P9X79 WS Build Issues
                                                                  Asimomo Level 1

Hi Harm,

I think you have missed my post above...

• 31. Re: Asus P9X79 WS Build Issues
                                                                    Harm Millaard Level 7

I did, thanks for the reminder.

When setting up the array in the LSI Bios, did you wait for the initializing phase to finish first?  With 6 disks in raid5 that can take at least a couple of hours.

LSI probably has a similar webinterface like Areca, showing you the status of your raid, like:

Raw_raid_capacity.png

Does it show Normal for your array?

The figures mentioned in your post seem rather off. Compare them to mine:

Areca transfer rartes.png

My disk setup is as follows:

Drives.png

• 32. Re: Asus P9X79 WS Build Issues
                                                                      Asimomo Level 1

Hi,

>When setting up the array in the LSI Bios, did you wait for the initializing phase to finish first?

Yes I did, it must of taken a good 3 - 4 hours.

Once complete I ran the disc test.

>Does it show Normal for your array?

Yes it shows normal and a small green indicator meaning optimal health. My system isn't connected to the web or I would have posted a screen shot.

If I look under the heading of

IO and cache policies

Disk cache policy- unchanged

read policy- always read ahead

IO policy- Direct IO

current write policy- write through

default write policy- write back with BBU

The results that I have received could they be because I don't have a BBU (battery back up unit) installed? Or is there some setting in Bios I have overlooked for the PCIe slot? Or maybe a driver hasn't loaded? The card is slotted in slot 6, PCIe 2.0 x 16_6 slot (x8 mode). It also has the latest drivers for the RAID card, I also updated the firmware.

I've done a test of my C drive (SSD) which is the Plextor px-256M5p

5 Passes and 50MB of data

seq             199.2 MB/S           170.6 MB/S

512k          307.8 MB/S           161.8 MB/S

4K              26.52 MB/S           31.14 MB/S

4K QD32    218.9 MB/S           125.5 MB/S

Do they look any good?

• 33. Re: Asus P9X79 WS Build Issues
                                                                        Harm Millaard Level 7

Can you run the test with HDTune (Pro) so I can more easily compare with my own results?

The figures you showed seem to be way off from what one would expect, but maybe US/Eur interpunction is the cause of my interpretation. you know thousands separator and decimal separator.

Starting with the top one, seqential R/W figures would have been expected in the order of 600 MB/s on a freshly formatted array, not below 200 MB/s. That figure would be expected on a two disk raid0 from the motherboard, not from a dedicated LSI card.

• 34. Re: Asus P9X79 WS Build Issues
                                                                          Asimomo Level 1

Hi,

Ok, downloaded HDTune pro and gave it a whirl, here's the results (same as your test window criteria)-

HD Tune test.jpg

It doesn't look good at all! Just after I ran the test heard a screaming sound from my PC case and then the LSI Raid controller alarm went off with a drive failure!

Drive error.jpg

As I write the drive is chirping in the background!

Do you think the drive that has failed was causing the performance issue? Can I do any other tests using HD Tune to prove this was the cause? Or any further tests to test rest of the drives?

Have deleted the virtual drive now, the faulty drive will be going back to supplier. So the build is on hold until I get a replacement sent through. Then I'll re- create the virtual drive in RAID 5.

In the mean time creating a RAID 5 with remainder of 5 drives, the background process is running. Wait till it finishes before I run the same test again. This time virtual drive size is 7.275TB.

• 35. Re: Asus P9X79 WS Build Issues

You definitely have one or more bad drives.  Run HD Tune Pro on each drive and see which drive(s) are bad,  I have generally found it to show up in the write performance.  In the past I have suggest that before you try to set up any RAID that you test each drive individually

• 36. Re: Asus P9X79 WS Build Issues
                                                                              Asimomo Level 1

Hi,

After creating a 5 drive RAID 5, another drive failed. Down to 4 drives now, I can't believe even with these enterprise drives 2 have gone already. I was expecting them to be much better than the Barracuda ones! That is 2 out of 6 drives!

Anyway before running to creating a RAID 5 with 4 drives I created each one as RAID 0 to run the HD Tune pro tests as Harms criteria above. Did a quick initialise in LSI and a quick format for each drive before running HD Tune Pro tests. Please see below-

Slot 0.png

This is drive 1 in slot 0

Slot 1.png

This is drive 2 in slot 1

Slot 3.png

This is drive 4 in slot 3

Slot 5.png

This is drive 6 in slot 5

Drive 6 in slot 5 read / write figures look a little lower than the other two drives a potential for failure? Shall I send this one back too? How can I tell which one is going to go out of the 4 drives?

After I tested each drive as above then went ahead and created a RAID 5 with 4 discs, did a full initialise took over 5 hours and a quick format in windows. Please results below-

RAID_5_4_discs.png

Does this look any better? I'm sorry but I don't know what I should be looking for.

Cheers.

• 37. Re: Asus P9X79 WS Build Issues
                                                                                Asimomo Level 1

Hi Harm,

Any comments?

Cheers.

• 38. Re: Asus P9X79 WS Build Issues
                                                                                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Whenever I see these spikes in these graphs, I get suspicious. Are they caused by background processes with high priority, such as events logs, or are they indicative of potential hard disk failures? Hard to tell. You have to run these tests multiple times to be sure. If they are replicable over a number of runs, they may indicate that there are problems with the disk in question. Note that with a single disk there are always spikes in the graph, but from the look of it, drive 1 worries me the most.

Your raid writing speeds are abysmal. It may be hard to sell this, but I would try to get a complete new set of disks. I once had a number of Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1 TB disks (yeah, they were notoriously bad)  and had 7 of them in a NAS. Five of them failed within the warranty period and were replaced. Next the rest failed in a number of months, so I ended up with 12 failed disks out of the original 7. Not very good statistics, I think .  A failure rate of more than 170%.

It there any setting on the LSI controller to adjust the TLER settings, specifically for Seagate drives?

• 39. Re: Asus P9X79 WS Build Issues
                                                                                    Asimomo Level 1

Hi Harm,

I've been scratching my head and thinking of crying as this afair of building a straight forward computer is turning into a bit of a nightmare!

Now I went back to MegaRaid storage manager and changed the Cache settings (IO policy to Cache IO from direct IO) see below-

LSI virtual properties.png

I don't have a battery back unit attached to this raid controller and I don't know if this will contibute to and increase in performance. I re- ran the throughput about 10 times to see if I was getting consitant results and what I got is as below-

RAID 5_4_DCP_U_IOP_CIO.png

Read performance now has gone up from 306.5 MB/S to 422.4 MB/S and write has gone up from 74.1 MB/S to 98.1 MB/S. Now this isn't vast but I guess something? This is for a 4 disc RAID 5 array.

I went ahead and re- tested all four drives in RAID 0 to see what the throughput of these drives -

Average taken over 5 runs.

Slot 0, drive 1

Average read- 154.2 MB/S

Average write- 152.3 MB/S

Slot 1, drive 2

Average read- 155 MB/S

Average write- 153.8 MB/S

Slot 3, drive 4

Average read- 159.3 MB/S

Average write- 157.3 MB/S

Slot 5, drive 6

Average read- 147.5 MB/S

Average write- 147.4 MB/S

What kind of read and write speed should I expect from a single Seagate Constellation ES.2 2TB drive?

I'm going to be sending Slot 5, drive 6 as it's the slowest in the pack together with the two drives that have failed. If the three new drives I get are considerably faster than 1, 2 and 4 I will have a case to return these too.

Well guess what Slot 5 drive 6 has just failed as I type. Is it the controller that is causing the drives to prematurely fail? Can it be the HD Tune pro software which has stressed the drives to bits? It's a bit of a shock as I have never had these many drives fail on me before! Anyway I'm taking your advice Harm and sending them all back! 

I'm also thinking what if the next lot I get don't fail on me but the performance is similar to these ones? What if the LSI 9260-8i controller can't cut the mustard? Now I've got a few options I can return the LSI controller for something better but what will I go for? What if there is an issue with the motherboard PCIe slots they cant throughput data fast enough? I can return this too but only if it's faulty- how can I prove otherwise?

>It there any setting on the LSI controller to adjust the TLER settings, specifically for Seagate drives?

I can't see any settings in the MegaRaid storage manager software, is this the correct place to look?

1 2 Previous Next