15 Replies Latest reply on Nov 17, 2012 6:27 PM by Jim_Simon

Workflow questions with AVCHD footage

web.boards Level 1

I copied the entire content of a SDHC card that was shot with an AVCHD camera to a folder on my desktop. I just used the Media Browser in CS6 to double click on the files to view them. I'm coming from Final Cut Pro where I had to convert all of these files to Pro Res 422 before being able to edit them.

1. Do I just leave the content of this folder as is? Do I need to do anything to the files before editing them? So if I start editing clips from this card after opening them in the Media Browser, and assemble clips in my Timeline and then export, is that all I need to do?

2. If so, to number 1, then after every shoot I would just copy the entire content of a card to a folder on my hard drive and just leave it there until I'm readt to edit it, and after I edit it the folder structure and contents of the card remain the same?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Workflow questions with AVCHD footage
          Harm Millaard Level 7

1. Yes, no, yes.

2. Yes.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Workflow questions with AVCHD footage
            web.boards Level 1

1. Based on this workflow, if I shot a bunch of unecessary footage, maybe I have 2 hours of clips on my card, though I only need 1hour, what would you do? All of that extra footage will end up taking lots of hard drive space.

2. If one card contains lots of different footage, maybe some vacation video as well as video for a professional shoot what do you do for organization since it will all be contained in a single folder? I'm use to being able to sort individual clips on a card into different project folders.

Thanks!

• 3. Re: Workflow questions with AVCHD footage
              Harm Millaard Level 7

One of the advantages of card based shooting is that you can delete shots you don't want from the card prior to copying to hard disk. Use the camera for that. But even if you did not do that, where is the harm?

Let's say you shoot 50 Mbps Canon 422 MXF material, then around 82 minutes fit on a single 32 GB card. On a simple 1 TB disk this means almost 40 hours of material.

As to your second question, use different cards, or alternatively - if your camera allows it - use different metadata for each shoot.

• 4. Re: Workflow questions with AVCHD footage
                Alan Craven Level 4

With most cameras, material shot on different occasions (possibly days) will each be in a separate folder, within the main folder structure.

When I have copied over the material and decided what I do not want to use, I move this out of the folder to a new "discards" folder.  If I am sure that I do not want it, I delete it.

My Canon camera comes with some neat software that only copies over the material that you have not copied previously.  It still does a bit-for-bit copy of the entire folder structure.  I know many people frown on using 3rd party software like this, but I have never encountered a problem by doing it.  It does solve the problem of copying older material with the new, when it has already been copied.

• 5. Re: Workflow questions with AVCHD footage
                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                  With most cameras, material shot on different occasions (possibly days) will each be in a separate folder, within the main folder structure.

With AVCHD, it doesn't work that way.  It all goes into the same fodler regardless of when it was shot.

If you shoot something you don't need, the best option in general is to just leave it there anyway.

For organizing different projects, always format the card in the camera before a new shoot.  Or use a different card.  In other words, don't mix projects on the same card.

• 6. Re: Workflow questions with AVCHD footage
                    web.boards Level 1

Would you ever take the clips that you intend to use from a card into the timeline, export individual clips with no compression into a new folder that does not need the AVCHD subfolders and delete the rest?

Thanks.

• 7. Re: Workflow questions with AVCHD footage
                      Jim_Simon Level 8

Can you?  Sure.

Would I?  Probably not.  In order to keep the full quality, you'd need something lossless.  Those files can get pretty big, possibly taking up even more space than the original folder with all the clips you don't need.  And then there's the issue of time needed for transcoding.  For me personally, it's just not worth it.

Editing editing takes up space.  That's just a fact of life best accepted and dealt with by adding more hard drives if you need to, rather than trying to work around it by saving space.

• 8. Re: Workflow questions with AVCHD footage
                        web.boards Level 1

Is the content of a card with avchd footage always smaller in file size than the resulting footage when brought into CS6? If my card has 7GB of footage, will that footage end up being much larger if I save with sequence settings?

• 9. Re: Workflow questions with AVCHD footage
                          Jim_Simon Level 8

If you save with sequence settings, you'll lose some quality.  You'll have to experiment to see if it's enough of a loss to be troublesome.

As to the size, that will depend on the bitrate you choose during the export.

But again, editing editing takes up space.  That's just a fact of life best accepted and dealt with by adding more hard drives if you need to, rather than trying to work around it by saving space.

• 10. Re: Workflow questions with AVCHD footage
                            Alan Craven Level 4

Jim Simon wrote:

With AVCHD, it doesn't work that way.  It all goes into the same fodler regardless of when it was shot.

If you shoot something you don't need, the best option in general is to just leave it there anyway.

For organizing different projects, always format the card in the camera before a new shoot.  Or use a different card.  In other words, don't mix projects on the same card.

Sorry Jim, I hate to take issue with you, but that is not the case with my Canon AVCHD camera. It behaves just as I described in my post.  The AVCHD video *.mts files, together with matching *.cpi files are contained within a folder for the day's date inside a TVD_ACHD folder.

• 11. Re: Workflow questions with AVCHD footage
                              Jim_Simon Level 8

Curious.

What's the next folder below the TVD?  Any folders above?  What model camera?

• 12. Re: Workflow questions with AVCHD footage
                                Alan Craven Level 4

"TV_ACHD\20121117\20121117\*.mts + *.cpi" is it.  There are empty parallel TV_MPEG2 and TV_SD-video folders too.

Why two levels of date taken, I have no idea.  The camera is a Canon HF S30, PAL model - though I doubt that is relevant.

I should add that this is fixed memory, I use the SD cards only for stills and backup.

The camera is an oddity, as it is listed by Canon as a current model, but there has been no stock in the UK for a year now.  It is offered in Canon's on-line shop in Europe, but attempts to purchase are thwarted by a blank page at the crucial stage.  Wierd.  but it is a damn good camera!

• 13. Re: Workflow questions with AVCHD footage
                                  web.boards Level 1

Last question:

Is it a bad idea to delete the individual .MTS files (after they are copied to a folder on the computer) that you absolutely are not interested in doing anything with? Can this cause any problems with the rest of the card content from working?

Thanks for all the answers!

• 14. Re: Workflow questions with AVCHD footage
                                    Jim_Simon Level 8

The camera is a Canon HF S30, PAL model - though I doubt that is relevant.

Near as I can tell, that's not actually an AVCHD camera, even if it is using the same codec.  That would explain why it doesn't conform to the AVCHD folder structure.

• 15. Re: Workflow questions with AVCHD footage
                                      Jim_Simon Level 8

Can this cause any problems with the rest of the card content from working?

If you don't delete?  No, that's why not deleting is recommended.  Keep the full folder structure intact, with all contents untouched.