4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 17, 2012 5:24 PM by the_wine_snob

How to install Photoshop CS3 disc on a Retina MacBook Pro?

emptymindfilms

Just bought a new Retina Macbook pro and trying to install CS3... the program from my old Macbook would not work when moved to the new one. I have the original disc but this will not work on new Macbooks without a drive.

Anyone any ideas?

• 1. Re: How to install Photoshop CS3 disc on a Retina MacBook Pro?
          sudarshan.t Level 6

Sometimes, advancements in technology can be a real pain, eh?!

Well, even if you move the program successfully from your old MBP, there is very little chance it'll run.

The solution: Find another system with a DVD drive - insert your disc, make a local copy of the installer file, use a flash drive to copy that to your new Retina MBP. Run it from there.

If you can't do this, post back - will advice another solution.

• 2. Re: How to install Photoshop CS3 disc on a Retina MacBook Pro?
            emptymindfilms Level 1

When I copied the program over I also copied the library app support files etc, so it could work but when I try to open psd, it tells me licensing has stopped working. So regardless of not running I guess I need to get in touch with Adobe and de-register, register etc. It's really tiresome.

Thanks.

• 3. Re: How to install Photoshop CS3 disc on a Retina MacBook Pro?
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Feel free to contact support, but they'll only give you the finger, metaphorically. There is no support for old versions beyond sorting out your activation. And you get what was to be expected. All Adobe apps must be properly installed. Copying the installer files to a USB stick will work just fine. If for soem reason that's not possible, download using this method:

Direct Download Links for Adobe Software

You'll still run into trouble, though. CS3 was never tested on contemporary versions of OSX nor will it deal properly with Retina displays. As a minor, you will have to enable the half-res option in your display prefs during install and possibly usage of the program...

Mylenium

• 4. Re: How to install Photoshop CS3 disc on a Retina MacBook Pro?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Sometimes, advancements in technology can be a real pain, eh?!

There is a never-ending cycle. Half the time, you upgrade your hardware, and then must upgrade your software. The other half of the time, you upgrade your software, and then have to upgrade your hardware.

I mean, you just bought the latest, greatest Canon Eros MKXX, to shoot RAW, but then found that you needed the very latest ACR to use those files - unfortunately, that version of ACR will not work in CS3, so the cycle begins...

Sudarshan, you are correct - advancements in technology CAN be a real pain...

Hunt