5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 18, 2012 3:03 PM by conroy

How to recreate Illustrator Gradients in Photoshop?

Patrick Jean

hello --

i frequently find myself recreating gradients created in illustrator using photoshop. however, even when using the exact settings for color, opacity, and location, they never come out the same. is there some rule of thumb or some logic as to how those two applications create gradients and how to better approximate them?

any help is much welcome.

thanks.

• 1. Re: How to recreate Illustrator Gradients in Photoshop?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Well, do you use color mangement? what color modes? What colors? Blending modes? There could be so many factors at play here, nobody can realyl tell you anything without much more detailed info.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: How to recreate Illustrator Gradients in Photoshop?
            Patrick Jean Level 1

hello mylenium --

thanks for replying. i mean i use the exact same settings. color managed sRGB, document in RGB mode. The container itself has the exact same size, as does the gradient use the exact same color rgb values, and lastly the layer blending mode is identical. see the attached image, left one is using illustrator & right one is using Photoshop.

created in illustrator as a 250px tall box:

color values bottom: 191/189/174 @ 100% opacity

color values top: 191/189/174 @ 0% opacity

gradient location: 20%

blending mode normal on a white layer.

since PS offers 2 seperate location settings, i tried playing with both to no effect though.

sample.gif

Message was edited by: Patrick Jean

• 3. Re: How to recreate Illustrator Gradients in Photoshop?
              conroy Level 5

Photoshop and Illustrator gradient controls are quite different, apart from both having colour stops. In Photoshop, the top controls are for opacity independent of colour. The apps use different maths for calculating a gradient, but I found a way to produce your gradient in Photoshop. It's quite impractical but it's better than nothing.

Create an opaque to transparent gradient with Smoothness = 0.

Do not move the opacity midpoint control from its default halfway position.

If you made a Gradient Fill layer or gradient-filled Shape then rasterize it (or a duplicate).

Do Layer > Layer Mask > From Transparency.

With mask targeted, do Image > Adjustments > Levels and make a gamma adjustment with the middle control under the graph.

The screenshot shows Illustrator gradient in the left half, and the mask on the Photoshop gradient in the right half being adjusted to give a match.

Screen-shot-2012-11-17-at-19.50.02.png

• 4. Re: How to recreate Illustrator Gradients in Photoshop?
                Patrick Jean Level 1

hi conroy --

thank you so much for your help. great solution and works perfectly. strangely enough setting smoothing to zero is key here to get it done. do you understand what smoothness actually does to the gradient?

thanks again,

patrick.

• 5. Re: How to recreate Illustrator Gradients in Photoshop?
                  conroy Level 5

Increasing smoothness makes the curve from low to high values become increasingly S shaped instead of the straight line it has at smoothness of 0%. For example, it makes softer transitions from black to a colour (or gray) and from a colour (or gray) to white.

Smoothness = 100% has a curve similar to the one in the Curves adjustment below.

Screen shot 2012-11-18 at 22.57.45.png