4 Replies Latest reply: Nov 21, 2012 8:53 AM by Stan Jones RSS

Encore cs6 button selection vs. activation

cfg_2451 Community Member

Having trouble figuring out what I'm doing wrong with my menu buttons. I'm trying to make buttons that show both selection (a blue marker) and activation (a red marker).

Here's my layers in Photoshop cs6:

photoshop buttons.png

And here's what Encore is showing me:

encore buttons.png

Note that in the Encore menu panel I clicked on the "show selected state" button to get the picture shown above. I was surprised that I didn't get all blue button markers. Blue is the color of the (=1) prefixed layers in Photoshop. Red is the color of the (=2) prefixed layers.

What Encore actually seems to be doing is just showing the layer at the top of the layer stack for the button, without any regard to the prefix. I say that because I get exactly the same results when I click on the "show activated state" button in the Encore menu panel.

What I want, is for the selected state to show a blue marker, and for the activated state to show a red marker. Seems simple, yet I've been beating my head against the wall for the last day trying to make it work. I've read the docs over and over and, well, they aren't helping. So I'm asking here: What am I doing wrong to mess this up?

• 1. Re: Encore cs6 button selection vs. activation
          Stan Jones MVP

I cannot get this straight, but the actual appearance is set by the color set. You probably have "automatic" set, and the defaults are for the selected and activated to be the same. Depending on the player, activated is very short. Change the color set to "default," and you may be able to see a difference.

I've got to play with this some more.

• 2. Re: Encore cs6 button selection vs. activation

Stan Jones wrote:

I cannot get this straight, but the actual appearance is set by the color set. You probably have "automatic" set, and the defaults are for the selected and activated to be the same. Depending on the player, activated is very short. Change the color set to "default," and you may be able to see a difference.

I've got to play with this some more.

You got it. This is, um, odd stuff. Very odd. But it is what it is. It would be nice if Adobe included a tutorial on this stuff somewhere, because it's not at all clear in the manuals.

Now tell me if you can, how does one pick which highlight group to use (default appears to be group 1), and then, what do the three levels mean inside each group?

I've "solved" the problem by making all three numbers the same colors for selected, and all the same (but a different color) for activated. Seems to work. But I'd like to know why.

• 3. Re: Encore cs6 button selection vs. activation

OK, part of the mystery is solved. One sets the hightlight group for a button by clicking on that button on a menu in the menu panel. This in turn opens up the properties panel for the button in question. There's a "highlight" property there that lets one pick either "group 1" or "group 2".

But nowhere can I find anything about the three levels inside a given highlight group. What's that about?

• 4. Re: Encore cs6 button selection vs. activation
                Stan Jones MVP

Sorry I have not been able to get back to this... Consider this a bump!