14 Replies Latest reply on Nov 18, 2012 9:18 AM by leofrish2

CS4 not supported on PowerPC G5...

leofrish2

In spite of the specifications indicated here: http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/system-requirements-cs4-point-products.html#main_ MacintoshSystemReqs, my attempt to use InDesign CS4 installed with CS4 Design displayed the ever popular: "Not supported by this architecture" message.

This is in spite of Adobe technical support assuring me the specifications of my machine were indeed supported. (OS/X 10.5.8 - could that be the problem?)

Neither InDesign, nor Illustrator work, but Photoshop does.

Could anyone point me to a clue as to how to get InDesign operational on my PowerPC G5 1.6GHz machine?

Thanks a bundle.

• 1. Re: CS4 not supported on PowerPC G5...
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

The O/S is supported but only on an Intel machine.

Bob

• 2. Re: CS4 not supported on PowerPC G5...
            leofrish2 Level 1

Thanks Bob. That's actually not what the specifications suggest in the link I've included (http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/system-requirements-cs4-point-products.html#main_ MacintoshSystemReqs), and not what the Adobe reps are telling me when I went ahead and purchased the copy of CS4 for our school.

Also, not completely unsupported - Photoshop CS4 works just fine.

Can someone tell me what version of CS is supported on a G5 PowerPC if the specfications aren't accurate?

This has been three months of complete frustration with Adobe...really starts to make a person wonder why we continue to hurt ourselves this way.

• 3. Re: CS4 not supported on PowerPC G5...
              leofrish2 Level 1

Hold on. I re-read your response. Are you suggesting the OS is the problem? If I down-rev the OS, CS4 would be supported on the G5 PowerPC?

• 4. Re: CS4 not supported on PowerPC G5...
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Did you get physical media or a download? If you have physical media, I'm curious what the packaging says for system requirements.

• 5. Re: CS4 not supported on PowerPC G5...

You're right. I thought it was CS4 that was the first Intel only version but I just double checked and it was CS5.

But I have to ask…when did you buy CS4 and from where? CS4 has not been available for a several years.

Bob

• 6. Re: CS4 not supported on PowerPC G5...
                    leofrish2 Level 1

For non-profit schools, there is a service available that provides back versions of Adobe (and many other products) since these organizations are often using donated equipment.

We started with CS5 (after confirming with Adobe it would work.) Hmmmm...they agreed they had made a mistake and insisted CS4 would work, pointing us to the link I provided that is pretty clear about system reqs.

So, got CS4 to install, but Photoshop is the only app that worked (actually Acrobat 9 worked as well).

• 7. Re: CS4 not supported on PowerPC G5...

Was this a suite installer? Are you sure all of the apps got installed?

I’ve seen that error displayed when an app is not fully installed.

Bob

• 8. Re: CS4 not supported on PowerPC G5...

And do you have the other things required in terms of java and quicktime?

• 9. Re: CS4 not supported on PowerPC G5...
                          Bo LeBeau Level 4

Creative Suite CS4 does run on Power PC G5 machines with Mac OSX 10.5.

There is something else wrong.

Maybe you should try deleting the permissions for InDesign & Illustrator.

If that doesn't work, try creating a new user account in OSX 10.5  and see if they will run using the new user account.

Plenty of people are still running CS4 on Power PC G5 with OSX 10.5 so there is definitly something wrong with your particular setup.

Good Luck!

• 10. Re: CS4 not supported on PowerPC G5...
                            leofrish2 Level 1

Thanks for both of the interests and questions, guys.

The system is up to date on all apple software to the best of my knowledge. (I had just done an update of about 10 things prior to install)

The installer is a 3-disk install set, the primary disk is a suite installer in which I chose to do the "express" install - assuming it was everything. It took quite a while to finish, including Bridge and other Adobe products. The other two disks were Windows Installer and  "Content/Deployment" - but I could find nothing Mac-specific on that disk - it seemed to be mostly Windows based.

I will attempt to re-install the InDesign portion, in the hopes that it is an incomplete install, but I'm pretty skeptical.

I am considering the following assumptions in my attempt to debug this:

• The thing installed at all. CS5 wouldn't install at all, failing with this same error message from the start.
                            • Photoshop works, the others don't
                            • Could the O/S version, 10.5.8, have anything to do with it. Bob - you mentioned it in your first response. The min.sys.reqs. stop at 10.5.4 - could the apps not run on later O/S versions?
                            • we have confirmed the system we have meets the min.sys.reqs.
                            • 11. Re: CS4 not supported on PowerPC G5...

Really left-field quetion here, but it really is a G5 and not a G4, right?

• 12. Re: CS4 not supported on PowerPC G5...
                                leofrish2 Level 1

Thank you Bo - I will look into these possibilities.

I'm still wondering about the error message - "not supported on this architecture" - doesn't sound like a permissions thing, but then again...I'm willing to accept the error messaging isn't the most sophisticated part of Adobe's UX .

Not a big mac-guy, here. By "deleting the permissions" - can you give me a quick clue where to perform that action (In Applications on the app icon, or from console somehow - not a big unix guy either, but I'm trainable).

Finally, one more clue to help everyone: After installation, none of the apps showed up on the desktop or in the dock. (I figured that was the result of it being a slightly newer O/S than the installer was expecting). I was able to drag them to the dock from the Applications folder. For Photoshop, when I rolled over the icon, I got a bunch of possible things to do, including a Photoshop Icon. Clicking that brought up Photoshop.

Similarly, when i rolled over Illustrator or InDesign, I got a slew of possible things to do, but when I clicked on those icons, the folder showed up, not the app. This would suggest an odd installation problem, per Bob's suggestion.

...and to Peter's most recent post...yeah...specs are:

1.6GHz PowerPC G5

2GB RAM

10.5.8 O/S

• 13. Re: CS4 not supported on PowerPC G5...

Also not really a Mac guy, but did you gind the executable in the folders for ID and Illy (which on Windows, at least is not easy to find) to drag to the dock?

• 14. Re: CS4 not supported on PowerPC G5...
                                    leofrish2 Level 1

Yeah, I'm wondering if I dragged the right things to the dock...but then again, I didn't do anything different for Ph, than for the other two.

When I'm back in front of the thing, I'll try running the apps from the app folders themselves and see if the problem goes away. (skeptical this will make a difference).

All of this is heartening that the problem is with the install more than with the products.

Any other suggestions are of course welcome!