2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 18, 2012 2:21 PM by Noel Carboni

How to color convert for mobile devices?

avpromedia Level 1

I have a hardware/software monitor calibrator to calibrate my desktop PC monitor for photoshop work. However, when I transfer these photos to my phone, they display with an ugly color tint.

Is there anyway to display photos correctly on a cellphone or tablet that cannot be calibrated?

In theory, it should be possible to generate a color profile for the phone/tablet and store the profile on a PC. Then I can convert photos to this color profile in photoshop before transferring to the phone/tablet.

That's just my theory. Are there actual software to do this?

• 1. Re: How to color convert for mobile devices?
          gator soup Level 4

Edit> Convert to Profile: sRGB (and Save a copy)

is a good place to start...

• 2. Re: How to color convert for mobile devices?
            Noel Carboni Level 8

Mobile devices in general don't seem to embrace color-management much.  I don't know what color spaces they're supposed to render, though just at a glance it seems at least some of them (iPhone, iPad) use something like gamma 2ish or a little more.  Put an iPad up next to a calibrated display (or two) and show the same image, and see the differences...

ColorDifferences.jpg

Further, I wouldn't bet that the color response is consistent between two different phones/tablets of the same type but made at different times.

All you can do is assume red things will look reddish, blue things bluish. Usually.

Gator soup's recommendation to publish in sRGB IEC61966-2.1 (which is probably also best for browsing in general) is about as good as it gets.

-Noel