2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 19, 2012 7:40 AM by Charles Hamlyn

Trouble with Functions and Scope

Charles Hamlyn

I have a function "createBoard" declared under "compositionReady".  I can call it from anywhere in compositionReady with a simple "createBoard();"  I can even assign it on the fly to dynamic symbols with "newSymbol.bind("click",function(){createBoard();});" 

However, if I set the click event to call the function from a static symbol or element on the Stage, It always gives me an "LOG: Javascript error in event handler! Event Type = element" error.  I've tried all of the following:

createBoard();

sym.getComposition().getStage().createBoard();

sym.getComposition().getStage().getSymbolElement().createBoard();

sym.getComposition().getSymbolElement("Stage").createBoard();

this.createBoard();

and a handful of other ones.  Most of those are from scouring the Edge Animate Preview forums.

Anyone have any insight on what I'm doing wrong?

Here's the compositionReady code:

------------------------------------------

//Edge symbol: 'stage'

(function(symbolName) {

Symbol.bindElementAction(compId, symbolName, "document", "compositionReady", function(sym, e) {

//FUNCTIONS:

//Function to create the board.

function createBoard(){**SNIP**}

and Here's the static symbol code:

Symbol.bindElementAction(compId, symbolName, "${_title}", "click", function(sym, e) {

// insert code for mouse click here

sym.getComposition().getSymbolElement().createBoard();

});

//Edge binding end

-----------------------------------------

• 1. Re: Trouble with Functions and Scope
          joel_pau Level 5

Hi,

Your function is available, and only available, within compositionReady. You  have set a local function.

If you want to use this function on an click event, you have to add a prefix: "sym."

Therefore, you have to declare sym.createBoard() on compositionReady rather than createBoard().

Then, using your action click, you call it using: sym.createBoard(); Your action click is within stage symbol.

You can download an example here: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1099475?tstart=0. See post #6, click on New file attached v4.

//Edge symbol: 'stage'

(function(symbolName) {

Symbol.bindElementAction(compId, symbolName, "document", "compositionReady", function(sym, e) {

//FUNCTIONS:

//Function to create the board.

sym.createBoard = function (){**SNIP**}

//later, you call it using:

sym.createBoard();

and Here's the static symbol code:

Symbol.bindElementAction(compId, symbolName, "${_title}", "click", function(sym, e) {

// insert code for mouse click here

// Here you call it using:   

sym.createBoard();

});

//Edge binding end

-----------------------------------------

==> You can also use sym.setVariable() and sym.getVariable() to set and get a global function.

From Edge API:

function localFunction () { console.log("myFunction called is: localFunction()"); }

sym.setVariable("myFunction", localFunction);

==> More about global functions: see here.

• 2. Re: Trouble with Functions and Scope
            Charles Hamlyn Level 1

Thanks Joel.  I had tried declaring it as "sym.createBoard();" but I think I must've continued calling it with just "createBoard();" because that prevented my being able to call it even within compositionReady.

I'll try your suggestion this afternoon when I return home.

Incidentally, I did look into using get/setVariable and aside from not getting that to work either, I couldn't see what benefit there is.  It just seems like an extra line of code whenever I need to call a function.  Any insight on why someone would be better off using that method than simply sym?

Thank you for the links.  I've reviewed both of those and these great posts:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4419690#4419690#4419690

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4423625

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4768297

and aside from the conflicting or merely different ways of coding this, I couldn't quite put the information in the context of my own project.  I plan to learn this thoroughly and then post a lengthy tutorial with lots of visuals on what belongs to what and which channels are used to access the different pieces.  I'll post a link to it here and other places once I get it done.

Thank you again for your help.