9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 25, 2012 12:41 AM by GarrySarre

Liquify very slow processing

GarrySarre

I recently upgraded to a faster processor including SSD for a scratch disc. Although I have 32gig of ram with CS5 running on Windows 7 and it never uses a scratch.  I thought I could save an hour a week with waiting for liquify to do it's thing but as usual, liquify runs out of puff after several strokes on my standard 80meg file, and has done on every system and PS version I have ever owned.

Yes I know there are ways around it, like reducing file size and saving grid etc. All that is time wasting and it shouldn't be necessary with these specs. This has been the same for years. It's as slow as it ever was.

I have searched through this forum and the internet and I can't find the answer. No, there are no slow drives or memory cards plugged in that luiqify would want to mysteriously use. My Videio card is Nvidia GTX 680 but have had plenty of others in the past and liquify was still slow as a turtle. Everything else is super fast.

How do I make liquify work properly utilise available RAM or fast scratch discs, or even better, just work properly.

• 1. Re: Liquify very slow processing
          c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

My Videio card is Nvidia GTX 680 but have had plenty of others in the past and liquify was still slow as a turtle.

Would the Graphic Display Card not only be relevant for Liquify from CS6 on and previously it utilized RAM/scratch?

Have you tested the CS6 trial yet?

Do you always Liquify the whole image or selected portions?

• 2. Re: Liquify very slow processing
            GarrySarre Level 1

Do you always Liquify the whole image or selected portions?

The whole image, yes. Smaller selections allow more pixel movement before 'clogging up', but still, surely over 20 gig of RAM is enough to keep it working. Besides, I often do hundreds of luiqifies a day, I don't want to be doing multiples selections per image.

'Would the Graphic Display Card not only be relevant for Liquify from CS6 on and previously it utilized RAM/scratch?

I have no idea.

Have you tested the CS6 trial yet?

No, but everything else is good and because I have multiple user licenses and and a tight budget to balance, along with working in an industry that is rather tough at the moment, I'd rather get it working as it should with CS5. 80meg files are hardly too big to expect things to work with these days.

Thanks  for responding c.pfaff

• 3. Re: Liquify very slow processing
              Noel Carboni Level 8

GarrySarre wrote:

I have 32gig of ram with CS5 running on Windows 7 and it never uses a scratch.

Not directly related to your main question, but this statement is flawed.  Photoshop ALWAYS opens scratch files.  I have 48GB and just opening Photoshop causes scratch files to be created with names like Photoshop Temp208190803952.

I only mention this because if you're not seeing such files created, you may not have your Scratch preferences or permissions set right.

Can you screenshot your Edit - Preferences - Performance panel, please, and post it here?

And a last note that DOES bear on your Liquify issues:  If you're truly using Liquify a lot, you really, REALLY need to look into upgrading to Photoshop CS6.  You know they re-wrote it to use the GPU in the new version, right?  It's night and day faster.

-Noel

• 4. Re: Liquify very slow processing
                john worthington Adobe Employee

Adding my voice to the chorus: Please try the CS6 tryout version of Liquify. Not only did we sped it up tremendously, we added many workflow improvements for heavy duty users such as yourself.

• 5. Re: Liquify very slow processing
                  GarrySarre Level 1

performance.jpg

Thanks for you reply Noel. My mistake, I do see PS temp files. I meant the efficiency is 100%. I will look at CS6 liquify as recommended by you and Jworthin.

• 6. Re: Liquify very slow processing
                    Noel Carboni Level 8

Just some random thoughts:

Try a Cache Tile Size of 1024K, and Cache Levels of 2.

Try also setting Photoshop's RAM limit up to 90% or so, which is quite reasonable on a 32 GB system unless you have something else really big you run simultaneously with Photoshop.

Make sure and close and restart Photoshop after making changes here.

-Noel

• 7. Re: Liquify very slow processing
                      GarrySarre Level 1

Thanks for the suggestion Noel. Have tried that and there's absolutely no difference.  Will trial CS6 when I get time.

• 8. Re: Liquify very slow processing
                        Rene-)

Do you have any external (USB) drives attached? If so: Unplug them and re-try.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/1535508#1535508

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/481179

• 9. Re: Liquify very slow processing
                          GarrySarre Level 1

Hi Rene, no I don't. I checked the resource meter and it is accessing 4 drives. Writing up to 100mbs to a disk that has no drive letter assigned to it. Perhaps RAM? I'm networked to a drobo but no action going on there.  The other drives are an SSD C drive and a two drive raid config.