6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 6, 2012 6:24 AM by bdamayanto212

Conditional some text

bdamayanto212

Hi, My name is Bambang.

I would like to know, is it possible in InDesign to make conditional some texts to automation some text to be italics or bold. Example, in each foreign words it's automatically change to italic or bold. Thank You.

• 1. Re: Conditional some text
          [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

How do you define a "foreign word"? InDesign cannot automatically search for a "foreign word".

If you have a limited set of fixed words (no more than 10 or so), you can use GREP styles for this. Not too many, because lots of GREP styles slow down your system a lot (and that really means, 30 seconds or more delay per mouse click or cursor move).

How to use GREP styles is in the online Help.

• 2. Re: Conditional some text
            bdamayanto212 Level 1

Hi Jongware, thank before for your response. I thought if we use custome dictionary, we can define the foreign word. So each words with the "red line", I think that words could be change to italic or bold. My colleague, his said to me that a quark have an option to change the words if he put some character in front of the word. So that's why I'm ask, is it possible in InDesign to do like a quark.

Fyi, I use the Indonesian Dictionary, and if I check the option for dynamic spelling, I can to define whether indonesian word or foreign word. Thank You.

• 3. Re: Conditional some text
              Frans van der Geest Adobe Community Professional

Use GREP, the easiest way. Make a character style bold or italic, then make a Paragraph style: go to GREP there, add GREP style, simply type the word and set the character style there to be used.

• 5. Re: Conditional some text
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Frans van der Geest wrote:

Use GREP, the easiest way. Make a character style bold or italic, then make a Paragraph style: go to GREP there, add GREP style, simply type the word and set the character style there to be used.

I get the sense that there could be hundreds of words involved, which makes this impractical if you have to spell out each one. Using an identifier "tag" though, as the OP suggested in his last response might have some potential. The trick would be to add some invisble character that doesn't change the length of the word and ID does have a number of those -- discretionary line break, non-joiner, end nested style and maybe more. The question in my mind is how these are going to be entered if they are not typed in along with the text initially.

• 6. Re: Conditional some text
                  bdamayanto212 Level 1

Thank You for Frans and Peter. But, I'm still not have a solutions.

Anyway, thanks for your kind.