3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 19, 2012 8:59 AM by the_wine_snob

How do I insert a video track in the middle of multiple tracks?

PS-Newbie1234 Level 1

I have a complicated video with about 15 tracks.  Most of the tracks are about 10-20% populated and display video clips at precise times.  How do I insert a new track between track 6 & 7 (for example)?  I only know how to insert a track before the first track or after the last track.  Adding a track to the end, shifting tracks 7-15 up to track 8-16 would be a PAIN (I would imagine) because of the way Elements adds gaps and shifts things around.  Plus, all the track names would be messed up.  If elements does not allow this, what is the best way to accomplish this and keep my timing intact?  Thanks!

• 1. Re: How do I insert a video track in the middle of multiple tracks?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Unless it has been added, the only choices are to Add Track Before Last Track, of After First Track.

As individual Tracks can be Targeted (Selected), in PrPro, one has more options with Add Tracks, as one can Target a Track, then choose After Selected Track - just not in PrE.

Sorry for the bad news,

Hunt

• 2. Re: How do I insert a video track in the middle of multiple tracks?
            PS-Newbie1234 Level 1

Thanks!  Bad accurate news is MUCH better than no news.  As a test, I added a track on top, selected the top 8 tracks and dragged them up one track.  Now the track names are wrong, but I have a blank track where I want it.  I'm not sure if the timing is intact yet - I'll need to dig in tonight.  I'll look into PrPro.

• 3. Re: How do I insert a video track in the middle of multiple tracks?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Sounds like you have found an acceptable workaround - nice find!

Personally, the biggest problem that I have with PrE is the Timeline display. I really am just used to the less stylized view in PrPro.

Now, while PrPro DOES allow for more flexibility with Tracks, it still has limitations. In some other programs, and especially in DAW programs, one can just click on a Track, and drag it up, or down, as desired. In PrPro, one cannot do that yet (again Feature Requests have been filed). One must use a combo of Add Tracks and Delete Tracks, to move things about - that can be a bit tedious.

Now, you do know that you can Rename Tracks in PrE (just like in PrPro)? Just Rt-click on the Track Name and choose Rename. I do that for all of my Tracks, and especially for my Audio Tracks, as I often have dozens, and use the Audio Mixer a lot. Trying to remember what is on Audio Track 4, is tough. However, if that Track is Renamed to "Frogs-close" I know what's on it. With Video Tracks, I will have maybe Video 1, then Titles 1, Titles 2, Track Mattes, etc., to keep 'em straight.

Good luck,

Hunt