2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 20, 2012 9:22 AM by Coreydwillis

Removing ChildSymbol Instances

Coreydwillis

Basically what I'm doing is changing my "page" variable when a navigation button is pressed. If the "Demo" button is pushed, then "page=demo" for example.

Demo Button Code

page = "demo";

changePage();

After this variable is set, I call the changePage function from that button and it executes this code:

The Function Code

window.changePage=function() {

if (page != "demo") {

var pageDisplay =sym.createChildSymbol(page,'Stage');

pageDisplay.getSymbolElement().css({"left": "8px", "top": "62px"});

}

else {

var pageDisplay =sym.createChildSymbol(page+lesson,'Stage');

pageDisplay.getSymbolElement().css({"left": "8px", "top": "62px"});

}

}

What I'm doing is saying that it will load a symbol that matches the current state of the "page" variable. The problems is that once the function is called again, it places the next symbol below it. I want it to remove the first instance of "pageDisplay", then create the new instance based on whatever the variable value is right then. I tried different delete functions, but they kept just completely breaking it the function.

• 1. Re: Removing ChildSymbol Instances
          DarioMatson

Hi,

Not sure if it's the optimal way, but this is the way i delete the created items... (Maybe someone can optimize this)...

when adding the object, add

pageDisplay.setVariable("type","createdButton");

And then get the childsymbols from where you created them:

var onLocationChildSymbols = sym.getComposition().getStage().getChildSymbols();

$(onLocationChildSymbols).each(function(){

if (this.getVariable("type")=="createdButton"){

this.deleteSymbol();

}

});

• 2. Re: Removing ChildSymbol Instances
            Coreydwillis Level 1

Thanks! That totally worked! :-D