1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 19, 2012 2:31 PM by josephs51576386

Printing to Tape (Quality Loss/Soft Focus) - CS5.5

Jax24135 Level 3

Hi all,

My client wants to archive old educational programs, so I'm printing to tape a lot. When I print to tape through my firewire it looks like I am dubbing using a composite connection.

My original footage is HDV and I typically scale down the original footage 45% to make the footage fit SD Broadcast. When I watch the footage on my computer, the footage looks fine, but when I print to tape there's a significant quality loss.

Has anyone else noticed a quality loss when printing to tape? I've tried tweaking the field dominance & the fielding options without any luck. The only thing left to tweak is the Preview codec, but my timeline footage looks fine on my computer screen. It's just when I send it to tape that my footage looks "soft".

Please help!

- Jon

PC - Dell Precision T7400 - Windows 7 OS (64-bit)

Premiere Pro CS 5.5

HDV Deck - Sony HVR-H35U

• 1. Re: Printing to Tape (Quality Loss/Soft Focus) - CS5.5
          josephs51576386 Level 3

Have you checked to make sure max render quality is enabled? When scaling you can sometimes lose quality if this option isn't enabled.

However back when I was still using DVC-PRO and Mini-DV I always noticed a slight drop in quality whenever I output to these formats. I always assumed it was due to the fact that these formats are essentially compresssing your content. DV is a lossy format.