12 Replies Latest reply on Nov 20, 2012 4:02 PM by John T Smith

Would a 2nd Hard Drive help with my render times?

Geldy7

This week I upgraded my system (comparison between old specs and new specs listed below).  The old system had very long render times and playback while editing was very choppy in both Camtasia 8 and Premiere Pro CS6.  The new system has been performing MUCH better than the old system in most areas (render times 2-3 times faster in both Camtasia and Premiere) but the video playback while editing in Premiere is still not as smooth as I would like it (although still better than before).

I purchased a WD Black WD1002FAEX - hard drive - 1 TB - SATA-600 from CDW (upon recommendation from another forum I posted) but don't want to install it if I won't get a noticable improvement in render times and playback quality while editing. (it was $100 out of my pocket that I would get returned if I don't use it)

Since I'm new to this field I was hoping for some feedback from those that are much more familiar with this stuff.

Thanks!

Andrew

New System

HP Elite 8000 Convertible Mini-Tower

i7-3770

16gb ram w/ dual channel memory configuration

Quadro 2000d

1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM SATA 6.0GB Hard Drive

Old System

HP Elite 4000 Pro Small Form Factor

Intel Dual Core

8gb ram single channel memory configuration

NVS 300

500 GB Hard Drive (not sure on make/model)

• 1. Re: Would a 2nd Hard Drive help with my render times?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Two disks is the minimum requirement, more it better.

Where would you prefer driving, on a single lane street with traffic lights to allow traffic in one direction and stopping traffic from the other direction or on a four lane highway? What do you think will have less traffic jams?

• 2. Re: Would a 2nd Hard Drive help with my render times?
            Geldy7 Level 1

Hi Harm,

As always - you have great analogies.

I understand that two or more would be ideal, but would I expect to see a marked improvement over the improvement I have already seen.

In other words I don't want to spend the $100 on a mechanical drive if I'm only going to shave a very small amount off render times and not provide a noticable improvement in playback quality.

I'm sure that's a hard question to answer (like I'm asking you for exactly what kind of fuel economy will I get if I propelry inflate my tires).  Yes it's better and recommended to do so but hard to determine to what extent it will help out.

Lastly, would I need to involve my IT Manager if I wanted to install it?  I'm sure I can actually get it installed but would he need to be made aware or can I leave him out of this?  I'm not sure if the installation steps in the BIOS require his Admin rights or anything.

• 3. Re: Would a 2nd Hard Drive help with my render times?
              Harm Millaard Level 7

I can't tell you the performance increase you get from adding a single disk, but it will be sizable.

If I export a simple DV AVI timeline to disk on my system, 3 hours of timeline take around 20-21 seconds to export and write to disk, almost 37 GB in total , which translates to around 1800 MB/s. A single disk may reach 150 MB/s if it is dedicated to that task, but even then the same export would take around 250 seconds. If that single disk is hindered by traffic lights, like in my analogy, the 250 seconds may well turn into 300+ seconds. The comparison is not really honest, since I'm comparing 1 single dedicated disk to a 21 (+3) disk array, but it does show that sustained transfer rates have a huge impact on disk performance.

Involving your IT Manager and to what degree depends on the user limitations he has applied to your profile. I haven't the faintest idea from here, but I would certainly ask him to give you full administrative rights to your system. It will make editing a lot easier, prevent all kinds of errors that are common with limited user access rights and make both your lifes easier as well. He does not have to come out with every problem you have.

• 4. Re: Would a 2nd Hard Drive help with my render times?
                Geldy7 Level 1

21 disk array - holy crap that makes my head spin thinking about it....

Thanks again for the input.  Looks like I'll keep it - but of course there isn't a data cable included with the drive so now I have to run out and get that...

Have a great holiday (although I think I remember you saying you're not in the US....)

• 5. Re: Would a 2nd Hard Drive help with my render times?
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

This may be interesting reading material Reflections on a new build.

No, I'm in the Netherlands, otherwise I could have given you sufficient cables. I have tens of them laying around.

• 6. Re: Would a 2nd Hard Drive help with my render times?
                    Geldy7 Level 1

So I installed and formatted the 2nd drive just a few minutes ago (currently on the computer) and pictured is what the Computer Management screen looks like.  Can you forward me a link that will assist me in partitioning it effectively for my use of it with Camtasia and Premiere Pro?  There is a lot of information online and it's hard for me to determine the best course and to be honest, I trust your judgment and figured you would have a link that could steet me in the right direction.

Thanks!11-20-2012 3-11-28 PM.jpg

• 7. Re: Would a 2nd Hard Drive help with my render times?
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

Don't partition it. Leave it as it is. Use your V: drive for your media, projects, media cache, renders and exports. Use the C: drive for your pagefile. If you want further performance improvements, add another disk to your system.

• 8. Re: Would a 2nd Hard Drive help with my render times?
                        Geldy7 Level 1

Okay, that makes it easier.  Last and very stupid question - how do I use that drive per your instructions above?  Should I copy all the Source Files from my C Drive to the new drive and then any new files (videos, images, audio, project files, etc) should be saved and organized on the new drive?  In other words, nothing pertaining to my video editing projects should be associated with the C Drive?

Then from the Premiere Scratch Disk settings direct all 4 options (Captured Video and Audio and Video and Previewed Video and Audio) to the new drive?

I found your post on Generic Disk Setup and I'll be looking to purchase a third drive here shortly.  I can see clearly now how that is the optimal way to go if the budget allows it.

• 9. Re: Would a 2nd Hard Drive help with my render times?
                          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Yes and yes... boot drive should have ONLY the OS and programs... video files and projects on other drive(s)

My 3 hard drives for video editing are configured as...

1 - 320Gig Boot for Win7 64bit Pro and ALL program installs

2 - 320Gig data for Win7 paging swap file and video project files

When I create a project on #2 drive, the various work files follow,

so my boot drive is not used for the media cache folders and files

3 - 1Terabyte data for all video files... input & output files (1)

(1) for faster input/output if you have 4 drives

- use drive 3 for all source files

- use drive 4 for all output files

1 person found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: Would a 2nd Hard Drive help with my render times?
                            Harm Millaard Level 7

Do you have a proper backup of your media? Then cut and paste the files, if not, copy and paste. After successful copies have been made, clean up your C: drive and defrag. Then open your project and relink to the new V: location. Check that your preferences and project settings are adjusted to this new setup.

• 11. Re: Would a 2nd Hard Drive help with my render times?
                              Geldy7 Level 1

That makes sense.  When you say Output files are you just referring to the videos that I render and where they are placed?  I guess my question is how do I allocate a specific drive for the video rendering (or is that what the video and audio preview Scratch Disk settings are?)

• 12. Re: Would a 2nd Hard Drive help with my render times?
                                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Rendering is what you do to make video play "easily" on the timeline... exporting is when you create a new file of some kind

As I said, IF you have 4 drives instead of the 3 I have, you would have your source/input files on drive #3 and your exported output files on drive #4

With only 2 drives you would do what several people have said... Windows and programs on boot drive, everything else on 2nd drive