2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 20, 2012 8:24 AM by Todd_Kopriva

How Should I upgrade my computer Spec for AE?

derekchan1988

Dear all,

I realize it is time to upgrade my computer since it took around 15 hours to render a 2 minute AE template from videohives.

This is my computer spec:

Gateway DX4831

PROCESSOR: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU           750 @ 2.67GHz

RAM: 8.00GB

GRAPHICS CARD: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 (the graphic card it came with was really bad so I upgraded it to this one)

HARDDRIVE: 1TB

My question is, what will be the most cost efficient way for my to upgrade my computer?

I'm not an expert on computer spec details so I'm wondering what I need to upgrade.

What processor should I get? What RAM should I get?

Or should I buy a new computer?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. THANKS!

• 1. Re: How Should I upgrade my computer Spec for AE?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Sorry, but that's one of those mostly pointless "Will my car drive faster on Nitroglycerine?" questions. We simply don't know what your project used and this could be a one time occurance or on teh otehr hand completely perfectly normal. If elaborate particle effects, complex 3D stuff or even a simple temporal effect is used that requires 200 frames to be sampled to produce some sort of trail, this could be perfectly nornmal and even on the most beefy system it would stil ltake quite long to render. Likewise, you could simply suffer from slow footage IO associated with some file formats or your disk being slow. Or in other words: You could spend 2000 bucks for gaining half an hour. While your system may not be the most powerful, it could be perfectly adequate for otehr projects. The best thing would be that you search this forum for discussions on MP render settings or generally performance issues. We have discussed this at length numerous times. If you provide a link to the template preview, we may also be able to point out some obvious factors that make the project slow, so you can avoid them next time...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: How Should I upgrade my computer Spec for AE?
            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

See this page for information about hardware for After Effects: http://adobe.ly/pRYOuk