3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 21, 2012 4:29 AM by Mylenium

Help! Very long project

danolds Level 1

Here's the deal:  I mounted a dashboard camera for a long drive from Salt Lake City back to Portland, Oregon. (I was attending the SC12 supercomputing conference there last week.) I shot the raw video in 1080p at fairly high quality - meaning that each 16GB card held about 2 hours of video. What I'd like to do is to pin all of the video together, speed it up, add some titles, and have a fun feature showing the trip.

However, the video image is pretty shaky. I've found that the Warp Stabilizer does a great job of removing and tamping down the shaking - but takes an incredibly long time to process even on a fast machine. Here's what I'm working with on the system side:

1. Dual Intel 5690 CPUs (6 core each, 3.46 GHz)

2. Dual NVIDIA 590 GPUs

3. 24 GB RAM

4. Dual SSDs

5. Windows 7, 64 bit

6. Adobe Creative Cloud (Premiere, AfterEffects, etc.)

7. This system can be devoted to processing this project for a least a week or two

I know my way around Premiere, but don't have any experience with AfterEffects. But from what I'm reading, it seems like AE might do a faster job of applying stablization.

The raw video is broken up into 45 separate files that total 75 GB. Most of the files are 1.99 GB.

So how should I approach this project? The alternatives that come to mind are:

1. Apply warp stabilization in AE to each file individually and then export them to a (big) Premiere project. I'd then do the time speed up, titles, in Premiere.

2. Pin chunks of the trip together in Premiere, speed them up, and then export them to AE to remove jitter. Send them back to Premiere to add titles and render.

Or is there a better way to do it? Something else I should try?

I'd really apppreciate any suggestions or ideas as I've never done anything this big before. Thanks in advance.....

• 1. Re: Help! Very long project
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

Ugh.  You're caught between a rock and a hard place on this one.  If you speed up the video, Warp Stabilizer may not do a great job.  If use Warp stabilizer on all the video, you unnecessarily eat up storage.

I propose a test: find a particularly bumpy section of video, speed it up in Premiere, then export the video (no Dynamic Link on this!) to AE & stabilize.  If it looks okay, there's your workflow.

Warp Stabilizer isn't at its best when dealing with footage that has had its duration altered; hence the export from Premiere.

• 2. Re: Help! Very long project
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I would time compress the footage first grabbing just enough frames to complete your video. Do the rough editing in Premiere.

Say your trip took 10 hours (about the average time for the drive.) Cut out any stops along the way so you have just driving. Do the math and change the length of the video in Premiere. If you are going to take 10 hours to 3 minutes then you won't have to worry about stabilizing anything. There's going to be so many frames removed that it won't make a difference.

This would have been a better project for timelapse. I've done timelapse for about 40 years. As long as the camera stays pointed generally toward the horizon you'll have a good result. Stabilizing for time compression more than 50% is a waste of time so unless you're planning to make a 5 hour film just drop the clips in PPro, cut out the really bad stuff, then drag that sequence into another sequence and grab the right edge of the nested sequence and drag it to the left.

• 3. Re: Help! Very long project
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

As Rick said, the measures to take will depend on the amount of speedup. If this is going to be some 10 minute video, I'd forego any stabilization - there will be so radicasl and rapid changtes, anyway, any jumping in positions will appear natural. For anything longer, you should do a gut first. Not only will it spare you from stabilizing footage you throw away later, but it's also pretty much a requirement for the warp stabilizer if you want the solution to be reasonably contiguous. If you did this in segments, there would be notable jumps at the edits because the warping is arbitrary for any segment.

Mylenium