1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 20, 2012 1:16 PM by Jeffrey_Smith

Question: Text Effects

maf79

I'm doing a 'wordle' of sorts. I hate Wordles, but that's what the boss wants so I'm trying to be as creative as possible with the skills I have. I am planning on doing one word ("gives") and putting the individual words that represent the word "gives." I happened to come across this image below while doing a google search (quite the luck to find almost exactly what I was planning on a google search!).

In the image below, 'peace' is in a dark gray so it blends in with the black. Does the word 'peace' or the smaller words have some sort of type effect that is making only the letters in the larger word show as bright white? Or did they just color each letter individually? Because many of the letters are half white/half darker, it makes me think it might be a text effect.

If that's the case, how do I do it? Should I do it in indesign or another program? I usually don't use the text effects often so I'm not as knowledgeable in what needs to be done (i.e. should smaller words be white or dark? should large word ['gives'] be darker or lighter?). I've tried several different options to no avail. This is a last minute (but very important) project so I don't have a lot of time.

Thank you so much for any help you can offer.

http://martinricard.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/typographic-wallpaper-tutorial-1024x673.jpg

• 1. Re: Question: Text Effects
          Jeffrey_Smith Most Valuable Participant

You could do something kinda like this in Indesign, but I would consider Illustrator or Photoshop. The one effect that you really can't accomplish in Indesign is the blurred text that falls outside the main word. Any app that you choose, the construction would be basically the same. Set the word "Gives" and convert to outlines. Set all the smaller phrases, group, apply white effect, [paste into] - [clip] - [mask] into main word. Duplicate this group and apply the blur and transparent effect, place this group behind main word. Here is a quick attempt in Indesign, I used a feather effect on the darker text, which isn't a good blur.

gives.jpg