2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 21, 2012 5:32 AM by xxxmirante

CS5 and Lighting Effects filter

xxxmirante

I'm very used to using the Lighting Effects Filter which I can't seem to use with files that have gone through Nik software plug-ins.  Can anyone point to any video tutorial or other educational material which I can use to find a way to emulate the lighting effects filter?  I'm using CS5 V12.1 x64.  I'm not a professional so upgrading to CS6 is not feasible.

Thanks. 

• 1. Re: CS5 and Lighting Effects filter
          c.pfaffenbichler Level 8

I'm very used to using the Lighting Effects Filter which I can't seem to use with files that have gone through Nik software plug-ins.

That bears looking into, I guess.

What do said plug-ins do to your images?

What are the images Color Modes and Bit Depths?

Could you please post a screenshot with the Layers Panel visible?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: CS5 and Lighting Effects filter
            xxxmirante Level 1

Your reply prompted me to check bit depths of my files.  It appears the lighting effects filter only works (CS5 64-bit on a PC) on 8-bit files.  I generally manage my files through LR3.6 and when they are brought into CS5 they are 16-bit.  The older files I used the lighting effects filter on must have been brought directly into CS5 as those files seem to come in as 8-bit. So, not at all a Nik issue.  It doesn't solve the problem of not having access to that filter on the files I just finished editiing since they're all 16-bit but at least now I know what to look out and plan for.

Thanks.