11 Replies Latest reply on Dec 20, 2012 1:37 PM by mbrjazz

Lenovo W530 on a sailboat  - Video and HDD options

Cwitzgall

Hi all,

We are on a sailboat, and I am an ex-video producer in the corporate world. I would like to start creating videos during our adventures. They will be web videos, but hopefully mostly HD. My camera decisions are not made yet, but I imagine I would try a GoPRo3 for the wet stuff, and then perhaps a Nikon DSLR (have many lenses) or maybe a m43 camera.

I would like to purchase a W530 for editing with PP. I am having a hard time finding information that will help me make the best decision on hard drive and video options. The laptop might be used connected to a 23" LED TV, I am thinking timeline and tools etc on TV, video on the laptop monitor.

#1. The W530 can be populated with a MSATA running at SATA II speeds. It looks like it can either be used as a caching drive, or system drive. Two more drives can be installed running SATA III, as well as I could use external drives with USB. So, knowing that power is always an option (cannot just run as many 3.5" external drives as I want), what would your HDD setup be? I was thinking that a 128gb MSATA as system drive, a 320gb cache and paging drive, and a 1tb video drive? Or should I just get a 256gb system drive at SATA III  and the 1tb Video drive, forgeting about the msata?

#2 Can anyone quantify the difference I would experience within PP, betwen the two video card options, the K1000m and the K2000m, both have 2gb? I am just wondering if the additional cost is worth it?

Thanks in advance,
      Chris

• 1. Re: Lenovo W530 on a sailboat  - Video and HDD options
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

1st, go to the CS5 Benchmark http://ppbm5.com/ and see if there are any laptops, and view their performance rankings

2nd, some general laptop notes

Laptop Video Editing PC http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1069742

-and http://forums.adobe.com/message/4578948

• 2. Re: Lenovo W530 on a sailboat  - Video and HDD options
            Cwitzgall Level 1

Thanks John for the reply. I had checked the ppm5 previously - from that I gleamed that I was headed in the right direction with the W530, but not enough info to gather much else.

I had also read the second forum link, but not the first - thanks for that. Yes, a laptop is my only choice, with limited boat battery power I am sure I will be taking oppertunities ashore with "free" power. I am adding two more solar panels to the boat to help with what I am sure will be a larger draw then we have had in the past with our one panel and wind generator.

Do you have any comments on the specific questions I posted - I would love to hear your thoughts.

Chris

• 3. Re: Lenovo W530 on a sailboat  - Video and HDD options
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Sorry, I don't use a laptop, so may only post some notes I've saved from past discussions

If you have already picked the W530, just compare it to what is discussed in the two laptop links I posted to have a "general" idea of what is needed

• 4. Re: Lenovo W530 on a sailboat  - Video and HDD options
                Alex - DV411 Level 2

#1. The W530 can be populated with a MSATA running at SATA II speeds. It looks like it can either be used as a caching drive, or system drive. Two more drives can be installed running SATA III, as well as I could use external drives with USB. So, knowing that power is always an option (cannot just run as many 3.5" external drives as I want), what would your HDD setup be? I was thinking that a 128gb MSATA as system drive, a 320gb cache and paging drive, and a 1tb video drive? Or should I just get a 256gb system drive at SATA III  and the 1tb Video drive, forgeting about the msata?

I don't believe mSATA takes extra space that could be used for something else in W530 (am I right?) and am a big an of SSD caching - so I'd use that as a caching device for the main boot drive which still should be a 7200rpm one.

I would not dedicate a drive to Windows caching and paging, especially that the mSATA SSD will be used for (some of) that purpose already.  The benefits of dedicating resources to that are dubious.

That and an external drive for media - and you're all set.

#2 Can anyone quantify the difference I would experience within PP, between the two video card options, the K1000m and the K2000m, both have 2gb? I am just wondering if the additional cost is worth it?

No appreciable advantage in the K2000m for Premiere Pro purposes.  K1000m is fine.

• 5. Re: Lenovo W530 on a sailboat  - Video and HDD options
                  Cwitzgall Level 1

Hi folks,

I ended up buying a referb w530 with a crutial 256gb msata, 500gb 7200rpm drive, 32gb system memory, and the k2000m video card. My initial testing is very promising.

Thanks for the help,

Chris

• 6. Re: Lenovo W530 on a sailboat  - Video and HDD options
                    JFPhoton Level 3

....as someone who also uses a laptop due to frequent travel,I would be very curious to see how your machine does on the PPBM5 website test.  I believe a small performance gain may be attained with your machine by putting 512 GB Crucial M4 in bay 2, where you would place your media and project files ...they were on sale for cheap recently. Then, the 500GB drive could be a USB3 externally connected backup of your media. Or, you could also use an SSD on the USB3 port via a lightweight USB 3 dock, like I do. The dock allows me to use ,( while editing), the external SSD for previews, media cache,and cache database........all the files which are really "temporary" in nature, and can be easily recreated if necessary when re- opening a project. Then, with a dock, you can pop in any drive, 3.5" or 2.5", for backing up...the dock adds much flexibility as the drives become "cartridges" in nature. if you do that however, you must make sure to go to device manager and under USB3 root hubs, uncheck any box which allows Windows to "shut off" the device when unused. Failing to do this step will cause repeated and random disconnects of your external drive.

Having SATA3 performance speed on your project drive using an SSD should make a difference. the Crucial M4 is recommended because it has a Marvell controller,not Sandforce, which handles the "uncompressible" video files better. Althugh better would be the Plextor Pro or Corsair Performance Pro line of SSDs with the Marvell controller for the highest tested SSD performance, read AND write speed.

• 7. Re: Lenovo W530 on a sailboat  - Video and HDD options
                      Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I would sure like to know what the real story is on the Corsiar Performanace Pro really is.  Has any one purchased any of these drives within the last 30 days?  It is no longer is listed on the Corsair web site and is not avilable from any reputable dealer that I can see.

I suspect it is no longer available

Eric, can you help us out?

• 8. Re: Lenovo W530 on a sailboat  - Video and HDD options
                        ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

I am not seeing the Corsair Performance Pro's in stock either. This may have to do with some Marvell Controller issues I have seen lately with the M4's.

Eric

ADK

• 9. Re: Lenovo W530 on a sailboat  - Video and HDD options
                          JFPhoton Level 3

....I bought a 512GB version M4 about a month ago for cheap, ~ $300. Using it as laptop "project drive", in place of 500GB Momentus XT in the second HDD bay. So far, works great....reports over 200MB per sec. transfer rate, ( my laptop is SATA II). I DID NOT install the new firmware that is out for it...as it is not my OS drive, and it is working fine as is.

My setup is now : "C" drive 120GB CorsairF120 SATA II

" D" drive 514GB Crucial M4

" F" drive 120GB Corsair F120 SATA II in USB3 external dock

My drive speed, NVidia 460m CUDA card and memory are fine......my limiting factor is the CPU, the i7 740 QM.....the new mobile i7's  blow it away. All works OK so far.

• 10. Re: Lenovo W530 on a sailboat  - Video and HDD options
                            mbrjazz

Hi Cwitzgall and helpers on this thread.

Are you still happy with it?

I'm looking at the same model, but this is my first time setting up a laptop for videoedition (i have the CS5 master collection).

are you experiencing problems?

• 11. Re: Lenovo W530 on a sailboat  - Video and HDD options
                              mbrjazz Level 1

Hi JFPhoton

I'm also setting up a the same Lenovo, but I'm not into hardware.

So just to understand your setup:

My setup is now :

"C" drive 120GB CorsairF120 SATA II

is this the OS drive? is this an SSD drive?

" D" drive 514GB Crucial M4

is this the project drive? is this an SSD drive?

" F" drive 120GB Corsair F120 SATA II in USB3 external dock

is this the backup drive? is this an SSD drive?

Can you help me out on thougts on harddisc sizes and types for the three jobs for the Lenovo w530

I'm writing also in this other thread an could use an expericed laptop guys opinion.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4936071#4936071

All best and thanks