1 2 Previous Next 78 Replies Latest reply on Sep 18, 2017 11:04 AM by robertc40760526

McAfee scam

Arthur Dailey Level 1

It's bad enough we have to endure your endless updates but when you try and trick users into installing McAfee AV its a sign that you've lost the plot.

I've been in IT for 25 years and seen many companies come and go. Goodbye Abode, you deserve to die.

• 1. Re: McAfee scam
          chris.campbell Adobe Employee

I understand your position, here's a post that explains (for what it's worth) why we have this option and your options.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4860432#4860432

• 2. Re: McAfee scam
            XXXMacfeeXXX Level 1

I agree with this post title. I did not think these respectable companies would stoop so low

• 3. Re: McAfee scam
              Kellian1 Level 1

There was no option. I got an alert on my computer saying there was an update to Flash. I clicked to install, as usual, and a progress bar came on the screen instantly, showing Flash and McAfee downloading. I could not stop McAfee. There was no checkbox to stop it like there used to be. So I uninstalled from Control Panel afterward. I have read several threads on this and see that you, Chris, insist  that there is an option and a checkbox. There USED to be. And maybe there still is for some people. But not for me. And some others have said exactly the same. So, the fact is, there are two types of installs, one which offers you a chance to opt out and other which offers nothing,.

Chrome 25.0.1364.152 m

windows 7 64 bit

Flash 11.6.602.171

• 4. Re: McAfee scam
                XXXMacfeeXXX Level 1

Adobe, you should respect your customers more. Shame on you

• 5. Re: McAfee scam

@Kellian1 - All I can go from is my experience.  I've tested this workflow thousands of times but each time I'm presented with the browser opening to a webpage with the opt out checkbox. 

This installer can't be downloaded from Flash Player without your browser opening.  I've talked with the developers involved with the update code in Flash Player and they have assured me that this isn't possible.  The only way you can get the online installer (which is the one that can install third party software) is if you download it from our webpage or a third party downloads it for you.  Obviously, we can't control if you have some other software on your system that is downloading something it shouldn't be.  If I find out there is one though I will work to get them to stop.

I've always asked for volunteers to show me this behavior and have yet to have a taker.  If this is happening in our code I definitely want to know and will work harder than anyone to get it fixed.  I hang out on these boards daily and as a result take a large brunt of the complaints about this feature.  I have a vested interest in getting these types of bugs fixed.  Unfortunately, without a reproducible case there's not much I can do.

• 6. Re: McAfee scam
                    XXXMacfeeXXX Level 1

@ Chirs

"The only way you can get the online installer (which is the one that can install third party software) is if you download it from our webpage or a third party downloads it for you"

Are you denying Macfee has an agreement with Adobe to advertize and/or install its product using Adobe updates?

• 7. Re: McAfee scam

@XXXMacfeeXXX - As noted in the FAQ, we do offer users the option to install software from other vendors. 

Here's what I was trying to get at.  We have multiple installers for Flash Player.  They can be grouped into two basic categories.  Online and offline.  The online installer can install Flash Player and optional components (eg. McAfee or Google products).  These installers contain the string "aih" towards the end of the file name and have a relatively small file size (usually < 1mb.)  Their job is to connect to the internet and download the flash player components and the additional software offer (if required). 

The offline installers do not connect to the internet, have a file size typically greater than 15mb and can only install Flash Player components, nothing else.

When prompted to update Flash Player, the user is presented with the following "Update" dialog (the contents might vary slightly depending on factors like the previous version of Flash Player installed *)

update+dialog.PNG

Clicking the "Download" button can not cause the online installer to be downloaded directly.  It can only launch your default browser with a specified URL.  The page displayed should be similar to the screenshot below (again, this can change depending on different factors, but the basic components remain.)

pdc2.PNG

This page, and the subsequent download page (see screenshot below), are the only avenues to the online installer from Flash Player.

interticial2.PNG

Paying attention to the "Update" dialog is critical and could be key to figuring out what's going on.  It is impossible, from everything I've been told and seen first hand, for the "download" button to do anything other than launch a webpage.  Statements like

"I got an alert on my computer saying there was an update to Flash. I clicked to install, as usual, and a progress bar came on the screen instantly, showing Flash and McAfee downloading"

lead me to believe that either the browser launch and additional button clicks were accidentally left out *or* some other component is displaying an alert notifying the user that an update is available.  Getting a screenshot of this update alert/dialog could help us narrow down what is causing the online installer to be downloaded directly.

*It is possible for our update dialog to display an "install" button instead of the "download" button, but in these cases they immediately download and install a version of the *offline* installer and can not install any product other than Flash Player itself.

• 8. Re: McAfee scam
                        Level 4

Isn't against EU law to tick options?

• 9. Re: McAfee scam
                          Curt M. Level 1

Wow. Same as Kellian1.

I just rebooted my Windows 7 computer after a Windows Update, and then Adobe software said there was a Flash update. It said to save the .exe file from the Download folder and run it, which I did. It then updated Flash and installed the McAfee viral software (sic), without any options, without asking permission, so fast that I couldn't even stop it. That is really out of control. I'm scratching my head now... is this forgivable?

• 10. Re: McAfee scam
                            Yelnats1 Level 1

@Kellian1 - All I can go from is my experience.  I've tested this workflow thousands of times but each time I'm presented with the browser opening to a webpage with the opt out checkbox.

Maybe you're right, and everyone is getting this checkbox, but just doesn't notice it. But that's just as bad.

It's intentionally bad UI, also known as a "Dark Pattern." Adobe gets more money if more users accidentally install it.

• 11. Re: McAfee scam
                              Eric_Eh Level 1

Hey Chris, you kept asking for a screenshot or something showing that the opt out box isn't there. Well, it's several months late, but I just had this problem today. Here you go:

flashinstall.png

I am taken to this page right after the update dialog prompt. As you can see, there is no opt out option for McAfee, but it ended up installing it anyway. I cancelled the update and tried again, thinking I must have missed the opt out option, but I found that there was none. So I downloaded it anyway, then had to uninstall McAfee immediatly after.

• 12. Re: McAfee scam

@Eric_Eh - Thanks Eric.  In this case McAfee isn't being offered but instead it's Lightroom.  Since Lightroom is hundreds of megabytes (700?) the checkbox is unchecked by default.

• 13. Re: McAfee scam
                                  Eric_Eh Level 1

@Chris Campbell - McAfee may not have been offered, but it still installed it on my computer when I tried to update!

• 14. Re: McAfee scam

Oh, well that doesn't seem right.  I've forwarded this along to the team responsible for the page and I'm sure they'll have additional questions.

• 15. Re: McAfee scam

Eric, could you tell me the name of the exe that was downloaded?

• 16. Re: McAfee scam
                                        Eric_Eh Level 1

It was: install_flashplayer11x32au_mssa_aaa_aih.exe

• 17. Re: McAfee scam
                                          Colten Lancington Level 1

I am glad you have posted this info Eric. I have just completed the update myself and I am LIVID(!!!) that adobe has done this. NEVER in my entire life have I ever had an installer from a reputable company slip optionware passed me during ANY point of the install. Every time I see a check box (checked or not) I always read to make sure my computing experience is not being assimilated into some sort of corporate standard. Even though it's annoying I don't begrudge companies for using the optionware installer tactic but I really didn't see this coming... NON-OPTIONAL, optionware... or FORCEWAREZ from Adobe...

I have been Adobe's biggest fan almost since day one and I can't believe you have corrupted my innocence like this... I LITERALLY feel dirty and need to go cry in the shower now (not joking)!

I am going to be shouting this from every forum rooftop until the issue is resolved!

@Chris Campbell - Everything Eric posted was identical to what happened to me. In Firefox I got the unchecked Lightroom option with 16.9Mb Version 11.9.900.152 Flash Player install (McAfee forcewarez inc).

I ran the same update link through IE and got a different optional install of pre-checked Google Chrome and Toolbar, once unchecked offering the same size 16.9Mb Version 11.9.900.152 Flash Player install (assuming McAfee forcewarez inc also).

• 18. Re: McAfee scam
                                            Dorey Level 1

OH No No I had trouble with Mcfee and it caused viruses on my Computer . I had scam messages popping up and could not get rid of them . If there are scams here ,then our Computers are at risk . Please this website needs some maintance done because if there are hackers on here then our computers are at risk and I even have hard time getting into this website much as updating the Flash Players in which they don't respond to anything at all . PLEASE GET RID OF Mc FEE SCAM ...

• 19. Re: McAfee scam
                                              youdoNOTknowwhatIwant Level 1

Let me help.  Look at my thread opened today.  You'll see one that HASN'T got it.    And a possible reason as to maybe why.....

• 20. Re: McAfee scam
                                                CodeDude2U Level 1

And now here it is late January 2014 and this garbage is *still* going on?  What the **** is going on here?  How could McAfee have paid you enough to compromise the trust of your users?  As that you surely have!

• 21. Re: McAfee scam
                                                  sjmaerz Level 1

And it continues.  Today I had the same problem and I didn't see any opt out.  Adobe's excuse is basically "We make money from this, so we have to do it this way".  Adobe Flash isn't an independent entity.  The fact that flash is "given away" for free does not mean that you need to find a revenue stream to support it.  Having Flash on computers works to Adobe's advantage and makes Adobe profits indirectly.  Trying to justify slipping in another company's software just because they are willing to pay to absurd amounts of money to sneak it in is absolutely shameful.  Adobe absolutely does deserve to die and be replaced by a company with real concern for it's customers.

• 22. Re: McAfee scam
                                                    mcaffeisforfaggots Level 1

Same thing happened to me today. Seriously what the fuck. I am extremely furious. If this happens to me one more time, I'm uninstalling every single Adobe product on every single machine I manage. I curse Adobe with a thousand zero-day exploits in all of their products! Suck a dick, mc heffe.

• 23. Re: McAfee scam
                                                      scoobyjenkins Level 1

In my opinion, McAfee is THE WORST "Antivirus" software (Aside from Norton), if you're going to "accidentally" hide the option to opt out, Adobe, at least bundle something useful like Avast.

• 24. Re: McAfee scam
                                                        screamerzoid Level 1

Exact same thing happened to me and I said WTF!!!!

Whilst I appreciate updates I DO NOT appreciate having something installed onto my PC that I never asked for.

Thanks Adobe. NOT!!!!!

• 25. Re: McAfee scam
                                                          BiLL Level 1

Yes, furious. Well, fairly angry. Annoyed. Perturbed. Unhappy. I demand mollification.

Was offered a flashplayer update - clicked the button, up came a panel installing the update plus unasked-for McAfee.

I was given NO warning of this, NO opt-out, the McAfee (and who knows what else?) was installed without my permission.

I do recall at some stage being asked if I wanted automatic updates, presumably entailing Adobe having fairly permanent access to my machine, and taking up resources. Said "no" of course, I can schedule an update myself. No further option to refuse additional products came to my attention.

When the installer had finished, it then fired up IE to offer yet more product. Further annoyannce.

IE is NOT my default browser; I don't like it being rudely invoked in this way.

I then looked in my taskmgr, found some other unwanted & unexplained piece of flashplayer -related activeX whatever running, killed that too. At least it didn't find its way into the start-up.

So then I was obliged to spend a while removing the unwelcome McAfee, and reading other complaints about Adobe's appalling behaviour.

I'm fed up with flashplayer's constant memory leaks, suspect spyware, frequent security holes, and the general insouciance of responses to complaints.

In addition, this imposition (no option) of an unwanted bundled product with a maintenance update is totally unacceptable.

To the Adobe representative who sees this:

1. May I have a legal assurance from Adobe that their uninstaller, and the uninstaller for McAfee which they imposed upon me, does in fact remove ALL the changes made to my system? And that Adobe has not installed, nor been party to installing, any hidden spyware on my system, for or on behalf of themselves, or any other agency?

2. I really want Adobe to stop this kind of rude & unethical practice, of installing unrequested bundleware with no (or obscure) opt-out.

Whilst others may be waiting for native HTML5 to see the demise of this awfully maintained yet ubiquitous (and once innovative) product, might I suggest that other dissenters here consider switching allegiance to

Shumway 

see also Home · mozilla/shumway Wiki · GitHub

Shumway is an HTML5 technology experiment that explores building a faithful and efficient renderer for the SWF file format without native code assistance. Our goal is to create a general-purpose, web standards-based platform for parsing and rendering SWFs. Integration with Firefox is a possibility if the experiment proves successful.

It is still a fairly new project, and I expect it could do with help and support from all of Adobe's ex-users.

(And, yes, it seems to be Mozilla effort, but I hope not tainted with the gaystapo intolerance shown to former CTO, briefly CEO, Brendan Eich in forcing his resignation - all very disappointing.)

• 26. Re: McAfee scam
                                                            Skalavagr Level 1

bill wrote:

Yes, furious. Well, fairly angry. Annoyed. Perturbed. Unhappy. I demand mollification.

Was offered a flashplayer update - clicked the button, up came a panel installing the update plus unasked-for McAfee.

I was given NO warning of this, NO opt-out, the McAfee (and who knows what else?) was installed without my permission.

I do recall at some stage being asked if I wanted automatic updates, presumably entailing Adobe having fairly permanent access to my machine, and taking up resources. Said "no" of course, I can schedule an update myself. No further option to refuse additional products came to my attention.

Exactly the same thing happened to me an hour ago. It's all very well for Adobe to offer us useful software & utilities - it's quite a different thing to go ahead and install crapware like "McAfee Security Scan Plus" without even asking.

• 27. Re: McAfee scam
                                                              bakterio Level 1

And yet another quite angry user here.

Furthermore, nobody in Adobe will confirm that there is nothing left behind after installing this mcafee stuff?

I suppose it's il·legal to install something without my permission (there is absolutelly no check authorizing it) so what are you, adobe going to do about it ??

Bak.

• 28. Re: McAfee scam
                                                                melanzane Level 1

The small already-completed check box is completely unacceptable. Tell the company  it drags your name into the mire.

I always make reasonable checks about what I'm signing for, and dont have this problem with any other reputable business. As it happened, I had to do this update twice today. The first time, I spotted the box and unchecked it. The second time,it whizzed past and I found horrible mcaffee was installing before I knew it. I cancelled the installation and did it again - but what dreadful practice  on the part of your company!

• 29. Re: McAfee scam
                                                                  WQEric Level 1

Another very unhappy user here... I have no problem with Adobe including promotional offers in their update notices, but only if the install checkbox is turned off by default. So far I have not missed it, but every time I need to turn off that checkbox it makes me angry -- and then of course I need to immediately ensure that other users know not to just skip past it.

I strongly object to Adobe using this tactic -- and particularly for a supposed security update. It makes me wonder if there really is no security problem at all, and this is just a way to expose millions of people to the McAfee product for more advertising revenue.

I was once a loyal user of Adobe products, but their directions in recent years have eroded that trust. I have found very good alternatives for several other Adobe products, and have eliminated Flash from two other computers used here some time ago because of this issue. Having to deal with it yet again today has prompted me to actively seek alternatives for the remaining 2 systems.

• 30. Re: McAfee scam
                                                                    DarranHurlbut Level 1

Yeah I didn't notice right away, seemed like a normal update. I got the popup after turning on my computer, no check box and then I got McAfee, noticed it a few days later.... I uninstalled McAfee, then the flash update popup can back on my next reboot. Same thing happened on my home computer, no check box and it started installing McAfee right away so I cancelled. The installer can't be found on my work computer, I'll see if I can find it on my home.

• 31. Re: McAfee scam
                                                                      temp1029 Level 1

Got the same thing just today.  No option to unchec, after update McAfee was just there.

Untitled.png

This is one of the worst practices ever.  If I had the option I would remove flash from all my systems permanently.

• 32. Re: McAfee scam
                                                                        ankoku Level 1

A statement like that makes me call you out for BLATANTLY lying.

There is no option, the installation began immediately without any consent and macafee was installed on my computer, again... automatically.

Then you actually have the Gall to say that WE ARE MAKING IT UP?

You want us to go through the lengthy process of removing a single update from your program (if thats even possible) just so we can go through the process again to record it so you guys can be lazy?

You have become a TERRIBLE company.  That is all..

• 33. Re: McAfee scam
                                                                          GoodbyeAdobe Level 1

What a joke.  I am now trying to plan my life post adobe. It may be hard but your company is now dead to me. Idiots!

• 34. Re: McAfee scam
                                                                            gara56 Level 1

Same here. I built a new computer with an SSD & HD a couple months ago and found out that Flash Player likes to install itself on the drive (SSD) that contains the OS. No option to put on a different drive. I've avoided installing Flash Player for two months now hoping that more websites go to HTML5. The last thing I want is an app that will constantly beat up my SSD with updates and other suspicious trash. I have an old beat up laptop siting around just in case I need access a site that requires FP. Sorry Adobe but you have shown me that you're not really interested in making your products flexible enough to your customers.

• 35. Re: McAfee scam
                                                                              michael_salmons Level 1

I really hope whatever money Adobe is getting from McAfee to do this is worth all of the ill will it's generating with the Internet community at large.

As a web developer, I've been moving away from flash for media presentation to html5 for a while. Stuff like this is pretty much cementing my plan to drop the Flash backup from my source code.

• 36. Re: McAfee scam
                                                                                unhappyy Level 1

I agree with every complaint above.  On boot up, I received the notice of an available update and clicked "Download."  As I use Chrome, this did not lead to a consent page, it just pointed to a file to download, save and double-click to run  (Adobe_Flash_Player_(Non_IE)_v14.0.0.179.exe).  Running the installer only asked to agree to the terms of use before clicking Install, it did not provide any consent options but nevertheless immediately proceeded to install both Flash Player AND McAfee Security Scan Plus.  I am, as my name states, unhappy. 

• 37. Re: McAfee scam
                                                                                  AegirNethuns Level 1

The McAfee check box should be OPT IN not opt out.

Adobe has chosen to have that McAfee check box checked when the flash download page is open.  Which is why Adobe IS responsible.

• 38. Re: McAfee scam
                                                                                    Ledgerwoodch Level 1

It's not bad enough that flash has one of the worst security vulnerabilities in the world, now they want to force me to install an anti virus that could compromise my security. I was sent to Adobe - Install Adobe Flash Player where it automatically downloaded the installer. Then it began to automatically install McAfee. Having a check-box makes you scum in my book, but forcing an instillation in illegal, and immoral. They have these adobe goons here doing PR swearing it's not so, but it is so. Adobe has gone to far, and has joined the ranks of other scam company's like Kazaa. They carefully control it all so they can retroactively conceal evidence at will.

• 39. Re: McAfee scam
                                                                                      mansi Level 1

There are already a lot of people discussing the Mcafee problem!! I was thinking its only with me that i get mcafee bundled with!!!

its a serious matter,i dont like that antivirus at all,when avast is there!!

Thanks

1 2 Previous Next