5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 22, 2012 4:41 AM by 18qwer

Missing thumbnails in Elements 11 Organizer

Ruby62

I am endeavouring to instal Photoshop Elements11 on a new computer which is running Windows 8.  It will not download completely, telling me that I need to turn off other Adobe installations - when there are none running.  It also will not recognize many of my photos.  Help, please.

Message title was edited by: Brett N

• 1. Re: Photoshop Elements 11 and Windows 8.
          Nikhil Bisne Level 4

I'm a bit confused with your query. You mentioned you are facing problems downloading Elements 11 and that " It also will not recognize many of my photos ". Can you please specify what " It " refers to in the previous comment? You cannot use a product without downloading and installing the product.

Thanks

Nikhil

• 2. Re: Photoshop Elements 11 and Windows 8.
            Ruby62 Level 1

I did download and instal Elements 11. Towards the end of the download it said that it could not complete the download, and to reinstall later.  I did this.  But a large proportion of my photos appear in Organizer as an hourglass symbol, and not the photo.  Is there a problem with either the program, or with Windows 8 in recognizing it?  Thank you.

• 3. Re: Photoshop Elements 11 and Windows 8.
              Nikhil Bisne Level 4

You've downloaded and installed the software sucessfully in this case. I'll move this discussion to the Photoshop Elements forum where others can help with your query on Organizer.

Thanks

Nikhil

• 4. Re: Photoshop Elements 11 and Windows 8.
                99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I would suggest rebuilding the thumbnail cache which sometimes gets corrupted.

In Organizer click the menu:

Help >> System info

This will indicate the path to your catalog. The default name is usually My Catalog but it could be different if you have more than one catalog; so carefully note the file path.

1. Close Organizer.

2. Navigate to C: ProgramData/Adobe/Elements Organizer/Catalogs/My Catalog

3. Find the file - thumb.5.cache

4. Highlight the file and delete it but don‘t empty the recycle bin (yet).

5. Re-start Elements Organizer

6. Wait until all thumbnails have been re-generated.

N.B. On Windows, the ProgramData folder may be a hidden system file - see this link, before starting, on how to reveal it:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Show-hidden-files

Click to view

thumbs5.png

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Photoshop Elements 11 and Windows 8.
                  18qwer Level 3

Hey Ruby62,

Please try a couple of probable solutions:

1. Right click on the hour-glass thumbnail and select Update thumbnail.

2. Go to File >> Manage Catalogs >> Select your current catalog >> Optimize

and File >> Manage Catalogs >> Select your current catalog >> Repair

1 person found this helpful