1 2 Previous Next 70 Replies Latest reply on Feb 29, 2008 1:52 PM by Newsgroup_User

FINALLY, it's here!

Level 7
        • 1. Re: FINALLY, it's here!
          DAVID NAJAR Level 1
          Wow, at last!!!
          • 2. Re: FINALLY, it's here!
            liveoak Level 1
            Can't wait to get my hands on it!

On adobe store: "English language is expected to ship by the end of March 2008."
            • 3. Re: FINALLY, it's here!
              Mouseclick Multimedia
              I'll preorder right now!!
              • 4. Re: FINALLY, it's here!
                www.gamesmaken.pagina.nl
                pretty good specs at first sight. Directx 9, ageia, joystick support, ..not so bad, a little late though
                • 5. Re: FINALLY, it's here!
                  BSpero Level 1
                  I am most disappointed by no AS3 support. The features page even seems to mock it with a picture of a project with a title that includes "NoAS3_Allowed." Since I have moved to doing all my Flash work with AS3, which has MANY advantages, including speed and flexibility, I have to take a hard look at buying the upgrade. Anyone heard anything about a new version of the Flash Xtra update that will include it down the line?
                  • 6. Re: FINALLY, it's here!
                    baumgarn
                    Do I see this right? New Version requires Intel Mac & wont run on PPC Macs???

I think this is a shame!!
                    • 7. Re: FINALLY, it's here!
                      thismarty Level 1
                      I'm waiting for that link on the new product page to the new Shockwave 11 Plug-In to actually point to the Shockwave 11 Plug-In. Currently, it still points to the 10 version.

I'm sure the new plug-in is code-frozen by now. Sure would be nice to have a working, Intel-Mac-friendly plug-in.

• 8. Re: FINALLY, it's here!
                        Level 1
                        Ok , I am sort of disapointed . After all these years. Where is the mult-threaded engine? Can you do more then one task now with out the memory slowing to a halt . What did they re-write or is this just bloat ware?
                        • 9. Re: FINALLY, it's here!
                          barnklad
                          I also am interested in being able to embed AS3 SWFs in Director, for playback in desktop projectors. Hopefully, there will be some more news on that subject; even a roadmap-type statement of intent would be helpful.
                          • 10. Re: FINALLY, it's here!
                            Martin Schaefer Level 1
                            Directorforum, the german Director community and Adobe User Group is proud to present a 10 minutes Director 11 announcement presentation (german) and also the all new german "Lingo Wiki", that has been launched today.

D11 announcement preso (german):
                            http://www.directorforum.de/_dir11/index.html

Directorforum Lingo Wiki (german):
                            http://lingo.directorforum.de

Cheers,
                            Martin
                            • 11. Re: FINALLY, it's here!
                              Necromanthus Level 2
                              quote:

Originally posted by: Macromartin
                              D11 announcement preso (german):
                              http://www.directorforum.de/_dir11/index.html

Well done Martin!
                              cheers

• 12. Re: FINALLY, it's here!
                                Necromanthus Level 2
                                quote:

Originally posted by: BSpero
                                I am most disappointed by no AS3 support.

The current flash support is limited to v9.0.28
                                They're working on AS3 support and is going to be available in a future update.

• 13. Re: FINALLY, it's here!
                                  ginod Level 1
                                  Work's on PPC or just on Intel?
                                  • 14. Re: FINALLY, it's here!
                                    liveoak Level 1
                                    quote:

Originally posted by: ginod
                                    Work's on PPC or just on Intel?

According to the Director specs, you need a Mac Intel to AUTHOR, but can run a projector / Shockwave player on both PPC and Intel Macs. I think it was the right call to keep things looking to the future.

http://www.adobe.com/products/director/systemreqs/

While a few may be frustrated by this, I think it was probably a good idea to try to get Director moving forward after its near-death experience. Same thing as the AS3 issue above - Adobe needed to keep DIrector from dying. Once the "patient" is stabilized in the emergency room, you begin to worry about the other important but non-critical issues in the next update.

For us current users, a current Mac Intel / Vista engine, Unicode support (the 7-bit ASCII standard was set in 1963 based on teleprinters/telex!), a decent script window, and bug fixes were the minimum, which I think they aimed at. I'm sure they will soon be at work on D12 and enhancing a new platform, once they go through a couple of bug fixes for D11.
                                    • 15. FINALLY, it's here!
                                      gresh
                                      Yep, I'm a buyer -- Adobe are on the right path with this one.

For the future ------------
                                      I don't see any printing improvements, they were poor, even in MX 2004.
                                      Printing Xtras are too slow -- Printing functions need to be native to Director.

Just curious -- is there a list of Xtra developers that are going to upgrade their products for Director 11?

Paul
                                      • 16. Re: FINALLY, it's here!
                                        liveoak Level 1
                                        It looks like BuddyAPI, PrintoMatic, and INM (VizionDB and Impressario) are active in development for D11. So we should see print, DB, PDF, and system access right away...
                                        • 17. Re: FINALLY, it's here!
                                          d_candland
                                          Dang. No mention of a plug-in to run on the current gen of game console SDKs. Perhaps a seperate download later on... :o(
                                          • 18. Re: FINALLY, it's here!
                                            Ex Malterra Level 1
                                            I'm pretty freakin' happy. It's great that Unicode support is included. It's great that there's DirectX 9 support. It's really great that joystick support is included. It's really, really great that Vista issues have been addressed. To be honest I'm even happy to see the new box!

quote:

I am most disappointed by no AS3 support. The features page even seems to mock it with a picture of a project with a title that includes "NoAS3_Allowed."

I think the "NoAS3_Allowed" title is to underscore that AS 2.0 is the supported version for Flash content. To be honest I'd like to be able to develop in Director with AS. No offense meant to anyone, but I never liked Lingo. JavaScript syntax was a wonderful addition to me personally because JavaScript is the first language I ever did any type of programming in, and I much prefer the C++/Java style languages to any of the others I've been exposed to. Being able to adopt a true class based development methodology in Director (beyond parent/child scripts or JavaScript syntax prototyping) would be a huge boon IMHO, and would tie it in more closely with the "core" Adobe development technologies like AIR/Flex/Flash. Being able to use a known, common language would make Director more appealing to new developers and organizations too. As a matter of fact, even though Director has long been my favorite development tool I had to get a job as an ActionScript programmer simply because there have been no Director openings in my area. For a very long time now.
                                            • 19. Re: FINALLY, it's here!
                                              McFazstp Level 1
                                              I guess FileXtra will pretty much be obsolete now ( at least the Mac version anyway ).

• 20. Re: FINALLY, it's here!
                                                Martin Schaefer Level 1
                                                You need to see it?
                                                You want to see it?

Here you go, folks. It's there. The first Director 11 3D Game Demo.
                                                Visit our Website and download it for your pleasure.
                                                http://www.directorforum.de/showthread.php?t=75892

Feel free to post your comments there and start discussing that awesome stuff. :)

Thanks to Adobe and especially Ed for providing this public demo!

Cheers,
                                                Martin Schaefer
                                                Adobe User Group Manager
                                                Directorforum
                                                • 21. Re: FINALLY, it's here!
                                                  Cpt.Haddock Level 1
                                                  At last!
                                                  great! I can go ahead and pre-order... No wait.. This thing is going backwards.. I can pay $299 for an upgrade but won't be able to author until I buy a new Intel Mac... surely this can't be right. So for me this would be a downgrade until I cough up $a-Lot for a new mac pro or something.
                                                  Thanks Adobe!
                                                  • 22. Re: FINALLY, it's here!
                                                    KingDruid
                                                    Man this is great news! Cant wait to get my hands on this.

I had one question and I dont know if any of you can answer this. So currently if I export a model with a reflection map from 3d studio to W3D it will make that map standard and kill the reflection, because the plug-in doesnt support it. Since director 11 supports W3D for it's 3D models, will there be a new plugin so it can add all the DX9 functionality in the W3D file? This worries me because they may add support for DX9, but if you can't get that data out of 3D studio you will have to create everything in Director.

Does anyone know the answer to this?
                                                    • 23. FINALLY, it's here!
                                                      Steveorevo Level 1
                                                      Well I've downloaded the Demo at ... and it looks nice and speedy, however I have yet to see anything that appears to be DirectX9 enhanced. This demo could have easily have been created in Director 8.5.

There are a few new Xtras that I'm not familiar with like 'Dynamiks.x32' and an obvious new FileXtra4.x32 along with a budapi.x32. They might be leveraging a the new 3D physics seeing that Havok was dropped. I certainly hope that it will be a compatible replacement so that ChromeLib 3D behaviors (A MUST HAVE) will work.

ChromeLib is a set of drag n' drop behaviors written in pure script that appear in the Library tab that makes 3D development a snap and should have been included in Director's original paltry set of canned behaviors (next to 'go to the frame').

Perhaps there will be a future demo that will really show if D11 is using DX9 in all its advanced shader glory (read: shadows, reflection map, bloom/glows)?
                                                      • 24. Re: FINALLY, it's here!
                                                        Martin Schaefer Level 1
                                                        scarroll, Director 11 does NOT include any Dx9 shader programming or any sorts of Dx9 effects. It just delivers DirectX9 Rendering. And that's it.

btw:: It's not nice to post direct download links, when there is a link to the download page. ;)

Cheers,
                                                        Martin Schaefer
                                                        Adobe User Group Manager
                                                        Directorforum
                                                        • 25. Re: FINALLY, it's here!
                                                          adam@blueapplestudio
                                                          Enhanced Script Browser and full JavaScript support are great promises that I hope D11 delivers on. Trying to do 3D in Director using JavaScript is challenging given there appear to be a number of things only accessible with Lingo.

The other feature I hope is in D11: an open dialog window that is expandable.
                                                          • 26. Re: FINALLY, it's here!
                                                            Steveorevo Level 1
                                                            Ahh, my bad (link removed). So with DX9 we are getting just a speed boost perhaps? Can we get 'under the hood' so to speak and get those DX9 shaders that make DX9 in unity and Ogre3d.org look so good, other then, well... just having it look like what it did 6 years ago with 8.5? It really looks like Maid Marian's renders (with a pseudo shadow under the character, etc) are quite a bit nicer then the D11's Aquo demo, and yet its been around for a long time now.

• 27. Re: FINALLY, it's here!
                                                              k-lens
                                                              quote:

Originally posted by: necromanthus
                                                              quote:

I am most disappointed by no AS3 support.

The current flash support is limited to v9.0.28
                                                              They're working on AS3 support and is going to be available in a future update.

I hope Adobe reps will clarify this a little bit. I definitely want AS3 support in D11. The more that Adobe's different technologies can all talk to each other, the better, IMHO. Right now, there's a D11 data sheet (you can find the link at the Director Podcast site) which states:

Support for Flash 9 and video created with Flash
                                                              Expand your creative options by seamlessly importing content created with Flash 9, including files using ActionScript 3.0. Launch Flash (version 8 or earlier) from within Director.

Is the 3.0 on this data sheet a typo?
                                                              • 28. Re: FINALLY, it's here!
                                                                KingDruid Level 1
                                                                Wait so if there if the only thing that DX9 is going to do is make it faster, whats the point in DX9? They could have just optimized what they already had.

-Macromartin

Are you sure it will not have any DX9 features like better shading and reflection maps? If it doesn't whats the point in going with DX9???? Where are you getting this info from?
                                                                • 29. Re: FINALLY, it's here!
                                                                  KingDruid Level 1
                                                                  That just makes me want to use unity instead and get the better graphics, since they already have the physics engine and it is also cheaper.
                                                                  • 30. Re: FINALLY, it's here!
                                                                    Level 7
                                                                    There are differences between DirectX7 and DirectX9 that have nothing to
                                                                    do with the additional DirectX9-specific shaders and programming model.

For example, in Director MX 2004, you can set up a 3d scene and set the
                                                                    renderer to DirectX5 or DirectX7. There are differences in how they
                                                                    render the scene. Even though you are not using any of the fancy new
                                                                    DirectX7 stuff.

Added to that, one of the biggest Vista compatibility issues that I have
                                                                    experienced with MX '04 is that Vista does not have DirectX5 at all and
                                                                    has problems with DirectX7. If Director 11 can use DirectX9, then that
                                                                    will fix that problem immediately.

So while I would love to be able to write DirectX9 shaders and apply
                                                                    them to w3d models, I will be quite happy simply having access to the
                                                                    DirectX9 renderer.
                                                                    • 31. Re: FINALLY, it's here!
                                                                      BSpero Level 1
                                                                      k-lens,

That must be wrong, since it says in the same breath that it supports Flash 9, but says it will only open Flash 8 and below... There is still a lot of talking that can be done between Flash and Director with AS2, but with folks being encouraged to move to AS3, the dramatic performance improvement in some areas and additional capabilities of AS3, it really is frustrating to have to go backwards in Flash to make objects to drop into Director. Any new classes, etc that I have created will not be able to be used.

I do a lot of stand-alone kiosk work and Director is important for outside communication, external applications and the like. Flash has some real shortfalls in that, but I have worked around and managed to make it work for most of what I need, and AS3 is a big part of that. Of course I look forward to seeing if they have made any improvements in Flash performance in Director, as that was dismal at times. Overall I am glad to see development continue, but want better Flash integration.

-B
                                                                      • 32. Re: FINALLY, it's here!
                                                                        OlandoCR Level 1
                                                                        Just one question, what is the right name of the physic engine, AEGIA PhysX or AGEIA PhysX" ? In the feature page are both. Whatever… Nice to see a new version of Director.

• 33. FINALLY, it's here!
                                                                          KingDruid Level 1
                                                                          quote:

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
                                                                          There are differences between DirectX7 and DirectX9 that have nothing to
                                                                          do with the additional DirectX9-specific shaders and programming model.

For example, in Director MX 2004, you can set up a 3d scene and set the
                                                                          renderer to DirectX5 or DirectX7. There are differences in how they
                                                                          render the scene. Even though you are not using any of the fancy new
                                                                          DirectX7 stuff.

Added to that, one of the biggest Vista compatibility issues that I have
                                                                          experienced with MX '04 is that Vista does not have DirectX5 at all and
                                                                          has problems with DirectX7. If Director 11 can use DirectX9, then that
                                                                          will fix that problem immediately.

So while I would love to be able to write DirectX9 shaders and apply
                                                                          them to w3d models, I will be quite happy simply having access to the
                                                                          DirectX9 renderer.

This is disappointing since there really isn't any upgrade at all, just an update to be more compatible with Vista. Which you would think would just be a free update?? And I really don't see an advantage in the new physics engine since the Havok engine works faster and everybody just needs to rewrite there code make it work with the new engine.

This basically means I would have to tear down my games and make AEGIA PhysX work with it and have it be more compatible with Vista and Mac OS, but in the end I would actually just have a slower game because of the new physics engine and no graphical upgrade at all??

I'm sorry but I really don't see a reason to update to Version 11 if it only makes it run faster. I am better off looking for an alternative that allows you to use at least some of the DX9 shaders and runs fine on xp, vista, and mac os. Unfortunely that only leaves Unity which only runs on a mac...????

BTW what happened to linux support did they scrap that?
                                                                          • 34. FINALLY, it's here!
                                                                            gresh Level 1
                                                                            To keep all this in perpective -- Director must have been hanging by a thread in 2005.
                                                                            When Adobe took over, they probably got Director from Macromedia's trash bin. I think we are quite lucky that Director was put back on track -- it was probably a tight decision on Adobe's part.
                                                                            I'm grateful. Adobe can put more features into the next version.

Paul
                                                                            • 35. Re: FINALLY, it's here!
                                                                              Level 7
                                                                              > I really don't see an advantage in the new physics engine
                                                                              > since the Havok engine works faster

Can you point to a benchmark to back up this statement?

> I'm sorry but I really don't see a reason to update to Version 11 if it only
                                                                              > makes it run faster. I am better off looking for an alternative that allows you
                                                                              > to use at least some of the DX9 shaders and runs fine on xp, vista, and mac os.
                                                                              > Unfortunely that only leaves Unity which only runs on a mac...????

No, the published application will run on a PC, but the authoring
                                                                              environment is Mac-only (with rumours of a Windows port).

> BTW what happened to linux support did they scrap that?

It was never on the cards - what makes you think it was?
                                                                              • 36. Re: FINALLY, it's here!
                                                                                Steveorevo Level 1
                                                                                Yes I'm great full that Adobe didn't trash Director either. I hate negative comments by negative people on boards about features that don't work, were removed or just made incompatible. I *would say* "If you can do better, then start Programming!"...

BUT THIS IS NOT OPEN SOURCE. Director is considered (and priced) as a PREMIUM product. Designers and engineers are bound tightly. Short of royalty based runtimes, Director is on the high end, and should be treated as such. Adobe should expect demanding users if they are going to be charging for their software -which is by no means cheap.

DX9 without DX9 enhanced features does not make Director the #1 3D plugin for the web, as claimed (or I would think not for long).

I'm hoping that its just a preview and that we will be getting access to advanced shader / DX9 effects one way or another. I for one, will also be greatly disappointed if the new AEGIA PhysX does not live up to AND exceed Havok's functionality. Considering that hardware performance doubles every 1.8 years and Director's 3D is nearly 6 years old, I expect more then just 'faster' and 'now works on todays machines'. Those are just baselines! If game development is one of Director's target markets, they shouldn't be dropping game development features. Anything less, or worse, is a step backwards and would definately be bad.

Time will tell (fingers crossed!) :)
                                                                                • 37. Re: FINALLY, it's here!
                                                                                  Level 7
                                                                                  I don't think Adobe has ever made any statements about Linux support, so
                                                                                  I'm not sure what you heard or who from. Be careful who you listen to on
                                                                                  public forums. Because someone listed it in a wishlist on a forum that
                                                                                  is not actively monitored by Adobe does not mean that Adobe has plans
                                                                                  for it either for or against...

There is more to the new PhysX engine then just the Vista thing. That
                                                                                  was just an example I gave. I did not intend to say that the whole
                                                                                  reason for it is for Vista. You asked "what's the point" and I answered
                                                                                  with one (I think) very good point. There is also the fact that Havok,
                                                                                  while it worked quite well, has not been officially supported since
                                                                                  Director 8.5, and is only available by pulling it from an old 8.5
                                                                                  installation. Now there will be an officially supported physics engine.
                                                                                  And it works on Intel Macs. There are also new features that Havok
                                                                                  doesn't have - this is a direct copy from part of a post that Allen
                                                                                  Partridge (official Director Evangelist) sent to Direct-L

--snip
                                                                                  So the advantages are, 1. It exists. 2. Its Faster. 3. 3D Save in both
                                                                                  authoring and runtime 4. Physics based raycasting that is orders of
                                                                                  magnitude faster - some would say 'lightening fast'. Also terrain maps,
                                                                                  6dof joints, and concave collisions that are smooth like buttah.

So its better than Havok because it a. exists, b. can run on MacTel, and
                                                                                  c. can run on Vista.

Can you still use Havok? Sure, as long as you own 8.5, don't need MacTel
                                                                                  or Vista support, don't use Unicode names for assets or anything related
                                                                                  to 3D, and don't mind slower performance.
                                                                                  --snip
                                                                                  • 38. Re: FINALLY, it's here!
                                                                                    Necromanthus Level 2
                                                                                    quote:

Originally posted by: Mike Blaustein
                                                                                    So its better than Havok because it a. exists, b. can run on MacTel, and c. can run on Vista.

I agree Mike.
                                                                                    But the main question is why Adobe is unable to "resurrect" Havok?

quote:

Originally posted by: Sean Wilson
                                                                                    Can you point to a benchmark to back up this statement?

Pay me a visit and I'll show you the setup, the benchmarks and the final results.
                                                                                    Havok 5 (the latest version is 5.5) is 40-60% faster than Ageia PhysX (without PPU, of course).
                                                                                    And full featured, btw ...
                                                                                    Meanwhile, a good article for all those who can't understand "software mode" (soft physics) vs "hardware mode" (hard physics):
                                                                                    http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1069927

Aditional notes:
                                                                                    These days you can buy a PPU (on a PCI card) with approx. 150-200 USD.
                                                                                    Ageia PhysX in conjunction with a PPU runs fabulous (much better than Havok).
                                                                                    But this is not the main point here!
                                                                                    1) users with PPU represent less than 1% of the market.
                                                                                    2) it's a bad idea to enhance a "Quake 1 like" 3D engine with a physics engine designed & optimized in "hardware mode"
                                                                                    3) Adobe Director (11) needs resurrection and aggressive promotion, not experiments!

Finally:
                                                                                    - Ageia PhysX in Director Shockwave is a bad move. Time will tell if I'm right or not.
                                                                                    - a game running at 7-10 FPS on a 2GHz processor & 64MB Vcard is a bad promotion for the upcoming Director 11

cheers

• 39. Re: FINALLY, it's here!
                                                                                      ginod Level 1
                                                                                      does anybody knows about a new features working with vectors? In the past, the vector tools doesn't allow work fine.... what about now? somebody knows about it?

Ginod
                                                                                      1 2 Previous Next