11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 26, 2012 2:01 AM by Laubender

Not understanding why i am getting white lines in PDF And JPG

Bernebeer Level 1

Hi all,

First time poster here, many thanks for your help! I have been using the Adobe creative suite for a couple of years now and have recently started using Indesign more and more, loving it.

Recently I ran into a spot of trouble and can't figure it out. I made a document using text boxes, an image, a few placed EPS files on a dark grey background (rectangle with a fill). All colors used are process colors, the EPS files are in process aswell, done in Illustrator. Somehow my red (process 15 100 90 10) text and EPS lineart is getting a weird whitish outline when exporting to PDF and when exporting to JPG. I know about the white line bug/thing in PDF but didn't think this would show up in a JPG... Here are two screendumps of the PDF and the JPG:

PDF

http://postimage.org/image/tsu5i293r/

JPG

http://postimage.org/image/60tdmw275/

Anyone any ideas why Indesign is doing this, again, any help is much much appreciated.

Cheers,

Fred, running Indesign CS 5.5 7.1.3 and illustrator CS5 15.1.0

• 1. Re: Not understanding why i am getting white lines in PDF And JPG
          Youri Penders Level 1

Hi Fred,

Do those white lines appear when you view the documents (JPG and PDF) at 100%?

If not, I would not worry too much about it.

• 2. Re: Not understanding why i am getting white lines in PDF And JPG
            Bernebeer Level 1

hi Youri,

Thanks for your quick reply. Yes, that's the weird thing, they show up in PDF on 100% and in an exported JPG at 100%.

• 3. Re: Not understanding why i am getting white lines in PDF And JPG
              Youri Penders Level 1

And you made sure that the object / text has no line and the color is set to "none" (diagonal red line)?

Can you put the PDF online and share the link with us?

• 4. Re: Not understanding why i am getting white lines in PDF And JPG
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Looks like antialiasing of some sort to me.

• 5. Re: Not understanding why i am getting white lines in PDF And JPG
                  Bernebeer Level 1

Hello again Youri and Peter,

Again, thanks for your input, it is much appreciated. Sorry for delay in replying, had to travel to the other side of the world in the meantime

@Youri, yes all text only have a textfill no stroke at all and the placed EPS files are just the eps, no effects or anything added. I'll add a PDF to the post.

@Peter, it indeed does look like antialiasing, what makes Indesign antialias objects or text? Does this happen during flattening when I export to PDF or jpeg? If so, how do I tell indesign not to antialias text or EPS?

PS I seem to remember having this problem a long time ago, can't remember how I fixed it though or if I even found a solution. It only seemed to happen when putting brightly colored text on a dark background, maybe I always have this issue but only see it now because of the dark background, usually my texts are black or darkish filled on a white background or white filled on a dark background (so I won't be able to see white antialiasing).

Hop you can spot the problem in the PDF, Link here: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/6461254/EXAMPLE_WHITE_LINE_ON%20TEXT.pdf (Check out the bullet squares, the logo, the text in de graph).

EDIT: I later found that when overprint preview is turned on I start seeing the white antialiasing in the Indesign document itself, does that give any clues?

Cheers, Fred

• 6. Re: Not understanding why i am getting white lines in PDF And JPG
                    MW Design Level 4

Hello Fred,

I exported the vector stuff out of the PDF as EPS, opened it in AI, saved the logo as an AI file, copied and pasted the other vector stuff into ID from AI.

The PDF linked below is simply using the "Smallest" profile.

http://www.wenzloffandsons.com/temp/Untitled-1.pdf

I would think that the problem is with the exportprofile and or any modifications to it.

For bitmap versions, and especially for red on black, I will open the PDF into a PS document and rasterize the PDF, then save from there to PNG or TIFF, depending upon the usage.

Take care, Mike

• 7. Re: Not understanding why i am getting white lines in PDF And JPG
                      Bernebeer Level 1

Hi Mike,

Wow, many thanks for putting all that together!

I dont think its an export setting though as both jpg and pdf show the antialiasing. I can try to put it all together in Photoshop but I'd still have the problem with the bulleted text and the graph as Photoshop rasterizes the white lines aswell...

I think I am going to try recreate the problem in another Indesign document, see if it shows up again, maybe its a problem with the logo, didnt make it myself.

Thanks!

Fred

UPDATE: Created a new document, same background color (manually copied the CMYK values), same color testtext. Again am getting the whit outline.

• 8. Re: Not understanding why i am getting white lines in PDF And JPG
                        MW Design Level 4

Here is the PDF I created, exported as an EPS from Acrobat, loaded into AI and exported as a smaller PNG.

http://www.wenzloffandsons.com/temp/Untitled-1.png

There is the "normal" antialiasing effect--blending from one color into another of roughly a pixel's width--but I would otherwise find this much of a scaled version acceptable.

Have you tried just exporting a PDF using the unmodified preset of say "Smallest"?

Take care, Mike

• 9. Re: Not understanding why i am getting white lines in PDF And JPG
                          Bernebeer Level 1

HI Mike,

I tried exporting it to PDF using the smallest file size export setting, this did do the trick in removing the antialiasing and all looks fine now. Will do what you suggested, now open this file in PS and rasterize it at 356dpi then include the color profile in the jpeg save. Hadn't thought of trying a different export profile before as my printer is quite picky.

Thanks all for all the help, and especially thank you Mike for putting in all your work. I think we've solved the problem albeit with a workaround, would still love to know what was causing this, I normally export using pdf x3 2002 with output intent upon my printers request...

All the best,

Fred

• 10. Re: Not understanding why i am getting white lines in PDF And JPG
                            MW Design Level 4

Hi Fred,

The suggestion for the Smallest profile was just because I had done that one as a test and so we could both be using the same profile.

But the profile doesn't really matter. Here is the PDFX-3 version with the image in the lower left added.

http://www.wenzloffandsons.com/temp/sos_ad.pdf

The issue is an odd one. As for your PDF, it should export just fine. The only give a heck I can think of is that there is a modified/custom flattener being used in one of the profiles or the profiles themselves are corrupt.

BTW, I am also using CS5.5, and am on Windoze.

Take care, Mike

• 11. Re: Not understanding why i am getting white lines in PDF And JPG
                              Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

@Fred – to tell exactly what's going on here, I think you have to make the original files available for download. Together with the PDF/X3 export settings file from your printers.

It's a strange case. That's for sure.

Apart from the mentioned problem of rendering:

@Mike – be aware that in your PDF the colors have changed to other values:

The red became 17 100 100 9 US Web Coated (SWOP) 2 CMYK

Original by Fred: 15 100 90 10 ISO Caoted v2 300% CMYK

The black became 71 65 65 72 US Web Coated (SWOP) 2 CMYK
                              Original by Fred: 0 0 0 97 ISO Caoted v2 300% CMYK

@Fred – check for the "black" fill of the URL. The fill is slightly different from the background:
                              98 k vs. 97 k.

Also check the gray fill of the bar graphs: that's a full color gray with 55 46 44 49 CMYK opposed to the gray text on the graph, which is a simple 0 0 0 76 CMYK.

Uwe

Message was edited by: Laubender