10 Replies Latest reply: Aug 2, 2015 12:34 PM by marianar24064035 RSS

How do I make a paint brush similar to MS Paint's?

Tiago Moita Community Member

The closer I got to the same look was to create a brush with the size of 1 pixel and 500% spacing, but it's still a bit slow to get even a small area looking like it's been sprayed. Plus, in the end my pattern looks too regular, not very natural. Here is part of the image whose look I'm trying to recreate (400% and 100%).

Texture Sample - 400%.pngTexture Sample - 100%.png

• 2. Re: How do I make a paint brush similar to MS Paint's?

That's the first thing I did, look up existing ones. Didn't found any that comes close. Maybe there is, but I don't want t spend hours looking for it, just to realize there isn't. I think this is too low-fi, comparing to what I found in my Google search. Everything I saw was hi-res with great detail. I figured it would be much simpler to do it myself. I've already come close. It's just not perfect, my attempt.

• 3. Re: How do I make a paint brush similar to MS Paint's?
            emil emil Community Member

Well, I don't see anything special in this. Just any random dots brush profile will do. Here's a couple of minutes try with one of many similar brushes I have. Any brush profile similar to the one shown in the bottom right corner will do. Unless you see something very special in your reference image that I can't.

Untitled-2.jpg

• 4. Re: How do I make a paint brush similar to MS Paint's?

Yeah, that looks kind of similar, but I'm aiming at perfection here.
              The original has finer detail, less anti-alias and is irregularly more scattered.

Thanks anyway.

• 5. Re: How do I make a paint brush similar to MS Paint's?

The original has finer detail, less anti-alias and is irregularly more scattered.

All of these can be fine tuned with the available controls to any precision you like.

For finer details change the size of the brush, Alt/Option + dragging with the brush is an easy way to change the brush size.

You can pick the Pencil tool with the same brush profile and there will be no anti-aliasing. The Pencil tool should have been with the name 'Aliased Brush' because this is what it is.

Instead of relying entirely on the Scatter control to give you a right density you will make much better transition if you repeat brushing over an area and control it manually.

• 6. Re: How do I make a paint brush similar to MS Paint's?

- If I modify the brush size, the pattern will be blurrier.
                  - Alt makes the Eyedropper appear (dragging doesn't make a difference in this). Am I doing something wrong?

- The pencil doesn't cut it, because the original isn't aliased. It's just sharper than most brushes. You can clearly see there are pixels semi-transparent. But thanks for pointing out the difference to me. Never worked much with brushes before.

- Scatter and other parameters help to attain a more accurate result, but it's still too homogeneous. Repeat brushing over the same area will make appear an unwanted symmetrical pattern (1st copy below).

Your picture helped, but I still didn't get a perfect result -  I'm starting to consider that this might not be a brush, but some kind of filter over a gradient. What do you think?

Brush tests - 400%.png
                  Brush tests - 100%.png

• 7. Re: How do I make a paint brush similar to MS Paint's?

- the brush size can make the pattern blurrier if the size if the brush is larger than the size of the image used for defining the brush.

- sorry, I forgot to mention that Alt/Option + right click dragging resizes the brush on the fly. I'm using a digital pen and I press its buttons by instinct without realizing it. I had to do it slowly and watch my fingers to find out

Try using the attached image for your brush profile and see if it is better. Open the image in Photoshop select all and choose Edit > Define Brush Preset.

Open the Brush panel, select Shape Dynamics property, and set its Angle Jitter to 100%. leave all other sliders to 0% and all controls to Off.

When I zoom in the reference image I see that some of the spots vary in lighter shades. To get that, select the Transfer property and try its Flow Jitter, leave all other sliders and controls to 0% and Off.

Leave all other brush properties unchecked.

Depending on the resolution of your image you may try the above with different sizes of the brush profile image. If you resize the image larger and it gets blurry use the Levels adjustment on the image to reduce the blur.

brush_Image.png

• 8. Re: How do I make a paint brush similar to MS Paint's?

"For finer details change the size of the brush"

"- the brush size can make the pattern blurrier if the size if the brush is larger than the size of the image used for defining the brush.
                      (How do you quote, btw?)

Actually, it seems you also get a blur with a brush smaller than the original.
                      Your brush is no good, but I tried the settings you described on mine, and still didn't get better results. In fact, slighlty worse.

Thanks, but it's better to forget about it.

I think my best shot is to try some filters and maybe try to ask the person who drawed the thing how he did it. You never know :-)

• 9. Re: How do I make a paint brush similar to MS Paint's?
                        conroy Community Member

Maybe the Spatter filter will help.

• 10. Re: How do I make a paint brush similar to MS Paint's?
                          marianar24064035 Community Member

You might be able to replicate it using the pencil tool on Photoshop, it's pretty similar to the MS Paint brush because it's very pixel-y. Just right-click on the brush tool on Photoshop and select the pencil tool on the dropdown menu:

03_Pencil-tool.png

Hope it helps!