14 Replies Latest reply on Jul 2, 2015 2:25 AM by ScubaBadger

Dashed line

dedine3 Level 1

Hi,

I'm using Premiere Pro CS5.5

Is it possible to make a dashed line within Premiere?

I created a New Title, and in that window, I made a line but cannot find out how to make it dashed.

thanks

• 1. Re: Dashed line
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hmm... if I press/repeat the ------- it makes a "sort of" solid line

If I press dash-space - - - - - - and repeat, I get a dashed line

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Dashed line
            dedine3 Level 1

What I meant is when you create a title, it opens a Window where you can create more than just text (stroke, box, etc).

I was wondering if I can create a dashed line with the PEN tool.

• 3. Re: Dashed line
              shooternz Level 6

No.

• 4. Re: Dashed line
                Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Create one in Photoshop and insert it as a logo into your title.

• 5. Re: Dashed line
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

I agree with Steven.

One can create all sorts of Lines in PS, and by using certain Brushes, can get very creative.

Adobe Illustrator has great powers in this respect too. If you do use AI, for the creation, you might want to Open the AI document in PS, to do the Rasterization. While PrPro can Import AI Vector Art, I do not find that its Rasterization is quite as good as that in Photoshop.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Dashed line
                    ScubaBadger Level 1

That's a pretty useless title designer...

• 7. Re: Dashed line
                      shooternz Level 6

ADOBE offer Illustrator and Photo Shop and After Effects as well as Premiere for title design and they are easy to use together for whatever you might require. 

Take your pick.

• 8. Re: Dashed line
                        ScubaBadger Level 1

Yes - you can take your pick...

All those wonderful programmes with their extreme complexities, dynamic linking, cross file format working - and yet you can't simply make a dotted or dashed line inside PP using a PP styling.

Sometimes we go over the top for the stuff not many will use while we leave simpler basics un-catered for.

No doubt I'll get slammed and put straight on my thoughts, but they are my thoughts.

The fact - as you say that Adobe provide all these extra resources from which I can make a dotted or dashed line goes in my view to ratify my statement - a pretty un-remarkable titler...

But as you say, I can go to another programme to make what could have been made in the same programme - great options.  :-)

• 9. Re: Dashed line
                          shooternz Level 6

I could write a massive list of what cant be done graphically  in PPr Titler ....but I simply recognise it as an effective and basic titler.

Keep in mind  it is not a vector based graphic app so that limits it... but it still has plenty of capability.

THat said ...I would like to see a bit more development in it though over and above some of the new stuff ehg morph cut.

FWIW: I realised and appreciated how powerful it was when I had a temporary "detour" to FCP some years ago.

• 10. Re: Dashed line
                            ScubaBadger Level 1

Your'e absolutely right.

Why make a basic titler do what photoshop can do, and yes - when push comes to shove we can get creative.

I have now created my dashed line in the PP titler, all spaced neatly and all top aligned - but it took me 5 minutes to do what could have been done in 10 seconds with a simple "dashed line" tool - and on the face of it this is not a tool that would take months of development. You could probably even do shapes with the same dashed / dotted outline...

Also have to agree with you - I'd have preferred this and others over morph cut.. :-)

• 11. Re: Dashed line
                              Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Took me 5 seconds.

dotted line.png

• 12. Re: Dashed line
                                ScubaBadger Level 1

Why not educate us..?

• 13. Re: Dashed line
                                  Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Select the Path Type Tool, this will give you the Pentool.

Draw your path (just like in PS)

When finished start typing. -------------------------- or .....................  Use any font/symbol.

Adjust font size, color, tracking etc to you liking.

path type tool.png

2 people found this helpful
                                  • 14. Re: Dashed line
                                    ScubaBadger Level 1

@Ann Bens Dang that's neat - thank you!!