5 Replies Latest reply: Apr 8, 2013 3:28 PM by DianeLouise RSS

CS6 Cloud InDesign problem: Will not open from Windows

DianeLouise Community Member

I have a CS6 Cloud subscription. I cannot open InDesign files from Windows, which thinks they are pdfs, and I cannot reset this preference. Do I need to uninstall InDesign, use the CS Cleaner tool, and reinstall? If so can I do all that just for the InDesign product rather than the whole creative suite?

• 1. Re: CS6 Cloud InDesign problem: Will not open from Windows
          Ken G. Rice Adobe Employee

You should not need to uninstall InDesign or run the Adobe Cleaner Tool to fix this.

Steps to resolve this:

1. Open Default Programs in the Control Panel - Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Default Programs\.
          2. Select Associate a file type or protocol with a program.
          3. Wait for the list of file types to load. You will see a Loading... message.
          4. Scroll down in the Name column to .indd. The Description should be InDesign Document and you want to set the Current Default to be Adobe InDesign CS6.
          5. Click on the Change program button in the top right and select Adobe InDesign CS6.

indesign_associatoin.png

• 2. Re: CS6 Cloud InDesign problem: Will not open from Windows

Ken

Thank you. I do appreciate your response, but, unfortunately, that approach, which should work, as you say, does not.

The .indd is described on my compuer as an Adobe Acrobat Document and the current default is Adobe Acrobat, so whenever I click on any .indd document in Windows Explorer, Acrobat is instructed to open it which, of course, it cannot.

Changing the file association should work in the way you describe, but instead here is what happens:

When I get to your step 5 (shown above) and I click on 'change program' I get a list of programs to choose from. The recommended program is shown as Adobe Acrobat and the list of other programs does not list Adobe InDesign. So, I browse to the Adobe InDesign CS6 file in my programs area on my C Drive, find the InDesign.exe file and click. And... nothing happens except that I am taken back to the screen where I am supposed to choose which new file I want associated with .indd.

So, now I cannot open InDesign files unless I first open the InDesign program and then open the file from within the program.

Do you think this indicates a corruption in the InDesign files? Is there an easy way to fix it?

• 3. Re: CS6 Cloud InDesign problem: Will not open from Windows
              Manish-Sharma Adobe Employee

The Indesign file types under windows are controlled by Shell Extension rather then just the registry entry.

The solution to this problem is either a registry hack (if any entry is missing or wrong) or uninstall and re-install the application.

You can uninstall and re-install just the InDesign and that should fix the issue.

The issue has been discussed already on lot of other forums post.

• 4. Re: CS6 Cloud InDesign problem: Will not open from Windows

Thank you. I do not know how to handle the registry hack, so uninstalling and re-installing InDesign is more appealing. I will try that.

• 5. Re: CS6 Cloud InDesign problem: Will not open from Windows

Now that the other problem I had with the Adobe Application Manager is fixed I have been able to uninstall and then re-install InDesign from Creative Cloud and now the InDesign problem is fixed.