4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 23, 2012 8:51 AM by Jane in Shropshire

Sizing images for use in InDesign

Jane in Shropshire Level 1

I'm creating an ebook in InDesign CS5.5. I'm planning to export to PDF, for viewing on laptops and tablets (I designed the page to fit an iPad2, at 187 x 250mm, with the idea it would then work on other devices too). The extent is 128pp, and will be roughly half and half text and photographs - I'm including over 300 colour pix. I've been designing the picture pages in Lightroom 4's Print module, and at the moment they're still RAW files (2592 x 3872px; 16.7MB).

I need to export them as JPEGs so I can add them to my InDesign file. I'm not sure what size(s) to export them at. Should I differentiate between those that are going to be used full-page and those that will be quarter-page or less? Or can I rely on InDesign to resize them proportionally when I later export to PDF?

Does anyone have any advice as to the best sizes to use at this stage? Lightroom allows me to specify quality for the JPEG, and also a longest edge size in pixels; or a resolution in ppi.

I'd also be very grateful for any advice on what parameters to set when I ask InDesign to convert the file into a PDF. I'm planning to offer it for sale from my website, and am worried (1) the file size will be too big for downloading and (on the other hand) (2) the picture files will be so compressed that they'll pixellate if anyone zooms into them.

Hope someone can help!

• 1. Re: Sizing images for use in InDesign
          Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Place them as high-res tiff files.

When you export to PDF you can specify if you would like to downsample the images.

Reason for placing as tiff would b e you coudl repurpose that file for printing.or other devices.

No need to reduce the resolution before placing - you can do that on outpu then choose the resolution you want for that device.

Res for Ipad 2 = 1024x768 resolution at 132 pixels per inch (ppi)

As long as the images are 132 ppi then they should be fine.

Your document size should be 1024x768 (or vice versa)

• 2. Re: Sizing images for use in InDesign

Thanks, Eugene. I hadn't thought of TIFFs. Guess I'll still need to convert the profile to sRGB, though, so I can preview the effect before I create the PDF (or check via Lightroom's soft-proofing option, perhaps).

I'd have to extend the margins for print, too: daresay I'd have to upgrade to CS6 to do this. But I'm not expecting, at this point, that it'll ever be printed. (Of course, it could be a runaway bestseller and attract a print publisher, but I'm not holding my breath!)

• 3. Re: Sizing images for use in InDesign
              Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can set InDesign to convert the working profile to sRGB.

I wouldn't convert the profiles as it will limit the gamut for future reproductions.

I'd leave the gamut alone (unless you're making copies of the files?)

I'd leave as much as intact as possible. That will mean your images can be repurposed for multiple uses.

InDesign PDF export can handle

Resizing of images

Resampling images

Converting colour profile

There's a good article here with presets http://dirtywords.tv/2011/indesign-to-ipad-pdf-preset/

• 4. Re: Sizing images for use in InDesign

Thanks again, Eugene - and the article looks really useful (there are always unpredictable gremlins, it seems).

My master files (the raw files with Lightroom's processing as XMP additions) will stay exactly where they are: Lightroom makes it easy to export a version any time you need it. Of course, it would be better to have files, as you suggest, that could be used for whatever future purpose in this InDesign file. Otherwise, unless I export under exactly the same name, I'd have to re-import all 300 individually if I were to need a larger size. So I'll follow your advice, but use Lightroom's soft proofing facility to preview the sRGB conversion.