With a 64-bit OS, and that 16GB of RAM, you should have enough of that type of memory.
I would explore your Windows Virtual Memory Page File settings. Where is located, normally your C:\? What is the size of it, and how is it managed, statically, or dynamically, as is needed?
What are the details of your I/O sub-system, i.e. your physical HDD's, their size, their free-space (very important), controller type(s), and how do you have them allocated?
Last, though the Still Image size should not be an issue in an HD Project, approximately how many do you have in your Timeline?
Good luck, and please let us know just a bit more.
Thanks for taking the time -
I have three hard drives on my system. C: has 613 GB Free; D: has 805 GB Free and J: has 931 GB free and is my scratch drive.
I only had 7 images in the time line before I got the error message; which is not very many
Virtual Memory is managed automatically by Windows with 16 GB currently allocated.
I would say that I have more than enough system resources to be able to complete this project - it will only have 20 images maximum along with a short music track. My guess is an issue with this version of PE; also I have an idea that dragging the files onto the time line too quickly may have caused PE to get confused.
I just fired up an older system running XP with 4 GB of memory and used Premier Pro 1.5 and it completed the project just fine so I think this an issue with PE 8.....
Glad that you got the Project out the door.
You are correct, in that I see nothing, that should cause Memory Errors, with your system. The CPU, the Page File, the installed RAM and the I/O sub-system seem very stout. Even with several other Adobe programs open, you should not have an issue - unless you perhaps have a bad stick of RAM?
You have already Scaled those Images, and 20 should not be the limit, by a longshot. Though it's apples to oranges, I just started a Project in PrE 4.0, NTSC DV Widescreen 16:9, on an older laptop, Core 2 Quad, 3x 250GB SATA II HDD's with from 100GB to 180GB free, XP-Pro, 4GB RAM and a static Page File of 12GB. I had 230+ Scaled (remember, I was doing an SD Project) PSD's, about 12 Titles (one a 40 sec. Roll, so a 720 x 4000 px. PSD), and animated sequence at the beginning. Not only did I have no error messages, but it edited very smoothly, and I often had Photoshop open too. I output to a DV AVI, and Imported that into PrPro, to finish, as I needed a DD 5.1 SS Soundtrack. Many differences, but with puny equipment, compared to yours, plus a 32-bit OS.
You might want to test your RAM, and also take a look at Event Viewer, to see if you are getting any error, or warning messages there, about the time you get one from PrE. Otherwise, I am at a total loss. Maybe others will think of something that I am missing.
Bill, thanks for all your help, really appreciated. I think I have found the culprit - I had background rendering turned on, and even just dragging two stills to the timeline it seems as if the render was in an endless loop. Then I added very quickly more stills to the timeline and bingo the error message appeared again. Deleted the project, changed the perferences to not render in the background. Exited PE, restarted PE and added 22 images in quick succession and it worked a treat. Added my sound track and rendered as a 1920x1080 video and it rendered in no time flat.
If I have some more time I will see if I can figure out why background render loops when adding just a couple of stills to the timeline. Seems as if there should have been just two renders, one for each image. You have any ideas?
By the way, I work on multi-row panoramas in Photoshop, some of these files are close to 4GB in size, and when adding layers or sharpening, that really puts a strain on the system - so if any components were bad I am sure they would have showed up before now. But checked all the error logs and ran a bunch of diagnostics and all checks out OK.
Again thanks for you help
Wow, I had forgotten about Adobe's foray into Background Rendering. I would never have thought of that, but will try to encode it into my memory. That was PrE 8, right?
Pinnacle, before it was acquired by AVID, tried that, but people could just not edit. Even simple changes prompted the Background Rendering, and everything just shut down, until finished, but then, the problem started over again, with just a simple Transition.
Great detective work, and thank you for reporting.
Happy editing, and good luck,
Just for kicks, I created two new projects, one with 80 still images and another with 11 minutes of HD footage from my Nikon D800 and all ran like a charm. The 11 minute video took almost 20 mins to render but now I am a happy camper
I used the Pinnacle Products a long time back along with an old Miro Data Capture card- gave up in a hurry and bought Premier, later upgrading to Premier Pro 1.5 - maybe I will spring for the Premier Pro upgrade if Adobe will give me a price break
Have a great weekend
You were smarter, than I was. I kept with Pinnacle for many versions, and then did AVID Liquid. I was dissatisfied, so jumped to Premiere Pro 1.0 (being an Adobe user for a bazillion years), and never looked back. I found PrE to do some things that PrPro could not do, or could not do easily, and have had both on at least one computer, ever since.