12 Replies Latest reply on Nov 24, 2012 9:46 AM by John T Smith

AMD stopped responding

videope Level 1

I dont know where to address this problem because I encounter it in Premier Pro CS5 and its After Effects

I keep being interrupted by this message that freezes my work and I have to start over losing my unsaved data.

I have a Sony Vaio Computer and have contacted them about this problem. 

They have checked the AMD driver AND the Intel Graphics drivers and they are up to date

My only resolution - as they indicated - is to contact you to resolve th problem.

I want to bring this to the attention of ADOBE and will appreciaete you give the email address where I can submit this.

Thanks

• 1. Re: AMD stopped responding
          Jim_Simon Level 8

I keep being interrupted by this message

By what message?

• 2. Re: AMD stopped responding
            videope Level 1

DISPLAY DRIVER STOPPED RESPONDING AND HAS RECOVERED

DISPLAY DRIVER AMD STOPPED RESPONDING AND HAS SUCCESSFULLY RECOVERED

Are you familiar with it

• 3. Re: AMD stopped responding
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hardware DETAILS are required

>AMD driver AND the Intel Graphics drivers

Does that mean you have a laptop with dual video?

If yes, read...

-http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/kb/error---preludevideo-play-modules.html

-http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1001579

-Use BIOS http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1019004?tstart=0

-link to why http://forums.adobe.com/message/4685328

• 4. Re: AMD stopped responding
                videope Level 1

Here are the details--

Sony VAIO VPCSE27FX

Windows 7 Home Premium

64-bit Operating System

8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M

Intel HD Graphics 3000

I originally installed the 30-day trial Creative Suite CS5.5.  I later removed it and installed CS5 Student and Teacher version which I had and had been using in another computer.  (The problem did not occur in that other computer.)

Yesterday I reinstalled  the AMD and Graphics drivers and ran an update but it didn't solve the problem.

I get the message that the AMD  Driver stopped responding when I am editing or when I am just playing the video to review it in Premiere Pro CS5.   Mind you, this is only a 12-min video.  It has a bunch of clips, some video transitions and audio files.

I also got it in After Effects when I was trying to build a short video intro.  So I can't say it is strictly a PP problem

The problem is that it happens way too often and when it does, the CS5 program freezes up and I have to quit and restart the program.  Obviously, I lose the unsaved data and has to start over.  Sometimes I even have to reboot the machine.

I have spent so many hours redoing what is lost that I am frustrated to no end and need help before I go nuts.

FYI this is a 7-month old computer and I have no other significant programs in it besides CS5.

Is  there hope for me?

PS When you say dual video, you mean like two monitors?  If that is what you mean:  No.

• 5. Re: AMD stopped responding
                  Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Read John's "link to why" above, and also the referenced blog:

AnandTech - Mobile GPU Faceoff: AMD Dynamic Switchable Graphics vs. NVIDIA Optimus Technology

You may be out of luck if you need a new driver.

Jeff

• 6. Re: AMD stopped responding
                    videope Level 1

Jeff, please help me understand as I am not a computer savvy, I just use it.

I was looking at the "link to why" but  it didn't make any sense to me because I don't know anything about the internal mechanics of a computer.

But, are you saying this Display Adapter that I have (AMD 6630M and the Graphics 3000) falls into the category of  "switchable graphics"?

If that is the case I will read further to understand.

But, if that is the root of my problem, you are saying I would need a new Display Adapter (that is where I go to see the drivers).

Do I have to physically install one or is that some type of software?  When I reinstalled the drivers, Sony sent me a link where I downloaded the drivers.

Would that be the case if I get a new one?

I apologize for my ignorance.

• 7. Re: AMD stopped responding
                      videope Level 1

By the way, the other computer where I had the same CS5 installed has a NVIDIA GeForce 310M.

I didn't have the problem there.

• 8. Re: AMD stopped responding

The switchable graphics feature is the likely culprit.  There is a way, either in BIOS or through the display adapter settings, to disable the switching.  That may solve your problem.  If it doesn't, it may be a driver issue for the AMD chip.  If it's a driver issue, what was said in the linked blog post is that it may be hard to get an updated driver for a Sony laptop.  It may be possible to revert to an earlier driver, but that's entirely up to Sony and what resources they have available for their customers.  Regardless, it's worth a call to Sony's tech support to help you resolve the problem.

Jeff

• 9. Re: AMD stopped responding
                          videope Level 1

Jeff, hi again.

Yes, I will be calling Sony once I understand enough to explain this intelligently to them.

I must mention that the reason I contacted you is because I have been in touch with Sony who checked at the drivers and found them working properly.  We reinstall them and updated them.

However, as my problem only occurs when using the Adobe programs, they suggested I contact them.  That is why I wrote.

We are focusing on the switchable graphics as the culprit of my prolem, but is there something else I can try before I go and replace the drivers?  I  would hate replacing them and find that that was not it.

Thanks.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ---------------------

I know the following is well beyond what this forum is about but I will appreciate if you share with me what you know regarding the following:.

1)  I was reading about the ADM 6630M and the Intel HD 3000 and I got further confused because somewhere someone stated that AMD doesn't support dual graphics where the cpu is made by Intel (which is my case).  Is the fact that I have the ADM and Intel 3000 what makes it switchable?

2) You mention that there is a way to disable the switching.  Would you know how to do it?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ----------------------

• 10. Re: AMD stopped responding

We are focusing on the switchable graphics as the culprit of my prolem, but is there something else I can try before I go and replace the drivers?

Yes.  Try disabling one graphics adapter at a time.  Using just the Intel or just the AMD might solve the problem.

Is the fact that I have the ADM and Intel 3000 what makes it switchable?

Yes.

You mention that there is a way to disable the switching.  Would you know how to do it?

Not exactly.  It will be done either by the BIOS, by Windows or by the AMD or Intel driver setup utility.

Jeff

• 11. Re: AMD stopped responding
                              videope Level 1

ok I will see if I find a way to disable it.

But still, I would like to try something else just because of something that just crossed my mind and didn't dawn on me until just now.

When I was using the trial version of CS5.5 I did not experience the problem.  Now, it is true, that I was editing several videos of 2-3 minutes long (this is 12-min) but  don't you find it peculiar?

• 12. Re: AMD stopped responding
                                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It is VERY common for a Windows update to cause video display problems, when "some" part of Windows is updated and that makes changes that cause a video display driver to not work properly

This is according to other discussions I have read, where the solution is to go to the hardware vendor and update the video display driver

Of course, video display drivers have their own set of problems

I have an nVidia GTX285 card... which works properly with driver 296.10 but does NOT work properly with driver 306.97

I have also read that Intel "rarely" updates their driver, so you "may" have a better chance with the AMD... IF you can find a newer/better driver and IF you figure out how to turn the Intel chip off

OR, in your case, you may need to turn off the AMD and use only the Intel

I don't use a laptop, so really have no idea which solution is best for you... other than the links I already posted