7 Replies Latest reply: Nov 24, 2012 10:39 AM by sergioch RSS

How to set up signatures? (16 pages each)

sergioch Community Member

The book will have 9 signatures (16 pages each one). 144 pages in total.

I'd like to know if there exist a tutorial about signature set up for InDesign.

Thanks

• 1. Re: How to set up signatures? (16 pages each)
          P Spier CommunityMVP

The first question is why you want to do this? Are you doing the printing? If not, you probably should not be setting up the signatures. Imposition is the printer's job.

• 2. Re: How to set up signatures? (16 pages each)
            Steve Werner CommunityMVP

If your commercial printer has asked you to do this, look for another printer. No designer should be asked to do this. This is something your printer can handle because they know the characteristics of their printing press, and understand the technical details required.

If you're a commercial printer, there are several commercial packages available for doing what's called imposition.

• 3. Re: How to set up signatures? (16 pages each)

Peter, Steve:

"The first question is why you want to do this?"
              Because I like to know the full process in detail. As a furniture designer I did mi own pieces or prototipes for a while. As a web designer I did study PHP, SQL, JavaScript, ActionScript, and so on. As a 3D modeler I did several "rigs" and animations.

"No designer should be asked to do this."
              I know that in developed countries people like specialization. For me, it could be a lack of curiosity, and curiosity is a must in  any creative process. If I'll contract a book designer, the one who have worked doing "imposition" or knows the process in detail could be the first in  my list. I prefer someone that really knows all the process limitations and capabilities.

"If you're a commercial printer, there are several commercial packages available for doing what's called imposition."

Thanks. I didn't know the term in English (imposition). I'm not a commercial printer but I'll search for info about the details of their job.

Now, I want to create my own handmade books, including "imposition" and binding. Could  I do impositions with  Adobe InDesign? Or Acrobat?

Thanks a lot for your help guys. I really appreciate it.

PS: Please, excuse my English.

• 4. Re: How to set up signatures? (16 pages each)
                P Spier CommunityMVP

InDesign has a VERY simple imposition module built in called Print Booklet (under the file menu) that will allow you to print signatures either direct to a printer or to file or PDF if your printer doesn't have automatic duplexing. IDImposer is a plugin for InDesign that makes a new imposed dodument from your original layout, and it can handle more complex impositions (Overview | IDImposer). It is being offered for free until the end of the year.

There are also impostion plugins for Acrobat that work with your exported PDF.

Full-blown imposition pacakges used by professional printers are pretty expensive....

• 5. Re: How to set up signatures? (16 pages each)

Thanks a lot, Peter. I'll review the plugins.

Best regards.

• 6. Re: How to set up signatures? (16 pages each)
                    P Spier CommunityMVP

Keep in mind that delivering an imposed document to a commercial printer is a very bad idea.

• 7. Re: How to set up signatures? (16 pages each)

"Keep in mind that delivering an imposed document to a commercial printer is a very bad idea."

Don't worry, I know you are right about that. It's the same in other design areas.

By the way, I have found several manuals of professional imposition packages. I'm pretty sure I'll find nice info there.

Thanks. Have a nice weekend.