7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 25, 2012 9:01 AM by John T Smith

video preview while capturing dv has stopped

skyrav1

My premiere 5.5 has worked capturing dv video perfectly for the last year. Now i cant get it to preview anymore..sound comes through and no pict..the only thing i can think that ive changed is I used avg pc tune up on my registry. Ive re installed premiere and uninstalled the avg...but still no video preview..anyone have any ideas on this..Ive tried the suggested copy and paste of the dll..but im guessing that was for hdv only..

• 1. Re: video preview while capturing dv has stopped
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Do you have a System Restore Point, prior to running AVG? If so, I would create a System Restore Point for now, then boot to Safe Mode, and just chose System Restore, and pick a System Restore Point, from when things DID work fine. Reboot, as prompted, and test. At the worst, you have lost but a few minutes, as you created the System Restore Point for today, and can go to that, then begin troubleshooting.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: video preview while capturing dv has stopped
            skyrav1 Level 1

Thanks Bill, i did a system restore to a prior before date, but nothing changed..

will rebooting in safe mode give me more restore point dates..for some reason my system was only giving me one previous date which was the avg install date

• 3. Re: video preview while capturing dv has stopped
              the_wine_snob Level 9

will rebooting in safe mode give me more restore point dates.

No, Safe Mode just quickly brings up the choice for System Restore, and some systems will not perform a full System Restore from Normal Mode. It is just for a "fail-safe" and ease of use reason, that I mentioned it - if you are getting a full System Restore from Normal Mode, then Safe Mode will get you nothing else.

Sorry that that did not get you to a point, where things were working.

Did AVG offer to save a copy of your Registry, before it did its "work?" If it did, and you took advantage of that feature, then maybe a reinstall of AVG, and chosing to Restore (do not know AVG, but many Registry Cleaners DO allow one to do a save, before any changes are made), will get you back? Others might know that program, and can help.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: video preview while capturing dv has stopped
                Jim_Simon Level 8

As sort of a 20/20 hindsight note, registry cleanup is probably best performed on an edit rig with a wipe/reinstall of the operating system and programs from the ground up.

• 5. Re: video preview while capturing dv has stopped
                  skyrav1 Level 1

Lol yeah i think I may have just learned that the hard way...

• 6. Re: video preview while capturing dv has stopped
                    Alan Craven Level 4

To avoid having to re-install in future, it is a good idea to use something like Acronis True Image to make an image of a working system.

When you are in trouble, it takes a few minutes to get back to this good install of your system using this image.  It is a good idea to make a new image before and after any major install.  It is surprising how often when you have used system restore that at the end it says sorry, no can do.

• 7. Re: video preview while capturing dv has stopped
                      John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>use something like Acronis True Image

Agree... except I use a different product... but, the KEY is to actually take the time to use a backup/restore program

The product I use is at http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/image-for-linux.htm
                      Image runs off of a bootable CD via Linux (the Zip you download includes a program to make the bootable CD) and it reads EVERYTHING on the drive, even the hidden registration information, so everything is restored when needed... and you may restore the image to a brand new drive in case of a crash, and not have to re-install anything

I just built a Win8 computer for my wife, and have made a backup image at each step... 1st was "new" drive with just activated Win8 and then before each install... in 2 weeks, I am up to #6 - and will, eventually, delete early backups from her 2nd hard drive (1T drive, so plenty of space and no rush to delete boot drive backups)

1 person found this helpful