12 Replies Latest reply: Dec 13, 2012 1:23 PM by Mich165 RSS

Error generating movie Adobe Premiere Elements 11

Mich165 Community Member

Hello,

I recently upgraded from Adobe Premiere Elements 8 to 11 (11.0).

My system is Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit, running on Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.5 GHz, 4GB Ram, with 75GB free diskspace.

My input movies are AVCHD 1440x1080 25i video's (MTS files).

Everything is running fine. Editing goes smoothly (even smoother than when I was still using PE8). So in that sense I'm very satisfied and I think my system can handle it well. It doesn't seem to run out of memory, etc.

However, now I want to generate the output movie. The movie is about 10 minutes long and has some music and transitions under it. Previewing the movie goes fine.

I've tried uploading it to Youtube (HD 1440x1080 file). The progress monitor stays at 0% for 5 minutes and then suddenly goes 2 100% in a few seconds and afterwards starts to upload the movie. However, the movie that's actually uploaded contained only the first 4 seconds of the video. When I tried again, it was about 14 sec.

So, then I tried generating movies locally on the PC. I tried:

Adobe Flash HD 720p.

MPEG2 HDTV 1080i 25

MPEG2 PAL DVD Widescreen

and some other formats (can't exactly remember which).

All of them ended with errors: "Error compiling movie", with cause unknown.

So, I haven't been able to generate any movie and I can't find out why it fails.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Michiel

• 1. Re: Error generating movie Adobe Premiere Elements 11
          the_wine_snob CommunityMVP

Michiel,

Perhaps this article will help with Error Compiling Movie: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4172254#4172254

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Error generating movie Adobe Premiere Elements 11
            John T Smith CommunityMVP

>75GB free diskspace

Does that mean you only have one hard drive?

You really should have two hard drives for video editing, since PreEl needs a LOT of space for various work files

• 3. Re: Error generating movie Adobe Premiere Elements 11
              Mich165 Community Member

@Bill

I've tried the suggestions in the article. The error I get is "Unknown Error", but somtimes also "Multiplexing failed".

I tried zooming in on different portions of the movie and tried generating small fractions (using Share workarea bar only). Then it seems to complete successfully and a short movie of a few seconds is generated.

Then I tried generating longer portions, also with succes.

In the end I tried the full movie again, it came untill about 6%, then an error message popped up saying the Premiere Elements was running low on memory and to proceed with caution.

I clicked OK, but about a minute later, the generation process failed.

If it's a memory problem, I don't really see PE take a lot of memory (about 1 GB at most), of the total of 4GB in my system. But anyway, it does complain about it, so it could be the problem...

@John

I notice that the Media Cache currently contains around 7GB of data and the preview files for this project (of about 10 minutes), takes up less than 1GB, but in total I have still more than 65GB of free disk space (total space is 250 GB). To me it seems diskspace is not an issue....yet.

Thanks so far.

I will try to experiment a littlebit further....

• 4. Re: Error generating movie Adobe Premiere Elements 11

"Multiplexing failed".

OK, that might well point to John T. Smith's comment on the available free-space on your HDD.

While that 75GB is within my recommended range for free-space (about 2x what some recommend), let's look first at free-space.

When on normally gets a measurement of their free-space, they are not doing much of anything else. If one has their Windows Virtual Memory (Page File) set to be dynamically managed, then when the OS needs to use Virtual Memory, that Page File will expand (diminishing free-space).

Now to "Multiplexing." When one is creating a muxed file (Multiplexed), with both a Video & an Audio Stream, all in one AV file, first the Video segment is created, then Audio segment is created (two separate files), along with two other tiny files, to be used in the next step. Then, those two files are combined, and the segments, plus the "helper files" are deleted. However, at one time, there is the three files - the Audio Stream, the Video Stream, and then the muxed file. That requires a lot of HDD real estate, and especially if the Page File is expanded, to account for that process. The Multiplexing is also used, when one authors a DVD, as the Multiplexed MPEG-2 is created, then there are working files created, to package, and span those through the VOB files.

Those processes can account for a lot of HDD space, and PrE wants it to be defragmented free-space.

Especially if your Windows Virtual Memory is dynamcially managed, expanding and contracting, per the need, then John T. might well be onto something there. Also, if you have not defragmented you HDD recently, that would be another step.

So, the first question is: how is your Windows Virtual Memory (Page File) managed - dynamically, or statically?

Next, have you defragmented you HDD recently? I do so, after each editing session.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Error generating movie Adobe Premiere Elements 11
                  Mich165 Community Member

Thanks Bill, for the clear explanation. This also clears up John's remark about free diskspace.

Now, I need to find out if this really is my problem.

My Windows Virtual Memory setting is set to automatically (dynamically), without limits. Do you recommend to set it to a fixed page size?

I'm currently defragmenting my HDD.

I will also try to see if I can clear up some space (now I think of it, maybe I should have done this before defragmentation).

Will keep you informed.

Michiel

• 6. Re: Error generating movie Adobe Premiere Elements 11

With a 32-bit OS, the Page File will see a lot of work, and the dynamic management of the Page File does take some CPU cycles, as it expands, and shrinks, anticipating the computing needs.

Especially with video-editing, a statically managed (built at bootup) Page File, several things come into play:

This depends on many factors, such as which HDD the Page File is located on, what is already on that HDD, etc., but with a statically managed Page File, it will be built at bootup, before other programs start using that HDD, so will be contiguous, and not prone to being fragmented. I create my static Page File, when the computer is brand new, before I load any programs. That places it near the outside of the disc, which is quicker to read/write. With a partially full HDD, you do not have that choice, and it will be built where there is free-space.

A statically managed Page File only takes CPU at bootup, before one begins any work on the computer, and then it just sits, ready for reads/writes.

With a 32-bit OS, I like having a Page File that is about 2.5x the installed RAM, so ~ 10GB in size. With 64-bit OS's, and plenty RAM, that 2.5 factor is overkill, so one can usually safely back that size down to about 1 - 1.5x the installed RAM. The more RAM, the lower the factor can go.

Those are just a few considerations for a Page File.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Error generating movie Adobe Premiere Elements 11
                      Mich165 Community Member

Bill, I have tried your suggestions.

First of all I have freed about 20GB of HDD space, which resulted in that I now have about 100GB of free diskspace.

Then I defragmented my hardisk.

After that I modified the pagefile to be 10GB fixed size.

Unfortunately without any luck. I've tried exporting to MPEG-2 Standard Widescreen and AVI DV Pal Widescreen.

To me the story of shortage of HDD space, starts to get less likely. I don't really notice any excessive increase in memory usage or HDD access. At first I see the CPU usage of PE go up to about between 50 to 90%, which seems normal and the HDD is doing some work, but it doesn't seem to have a hard time. Then, suddenly the CPU usage of PE drops to 1 to 5% and HDD access stops. As if it's waiting for something. It stays like that for a couple of minutes (while the estimated time to complete starts increasing) and then the dialog "Error compiling movie" pops up with an "Unknown error".

Meanwhile I checked the free diskspace and it stays around 100GB through out the whole process.

With PE8 I didn't have any problems with this kind of input and length of movie, using the same system.

I'm starting to wonder if I should get in touch with PE support....

Anyway thanks so far.

And I'm still open for any other suggestions.

Michiel

• 8. Re: Error generating movie Adobe Premiere Elements 11
                        John T Smith CommunityMVP

These are not specifically for PreElements, but since other Adobe products have the same "core" in many instances, worth reading

As well as the below, right click the program icon and select Run as Administrator, which is NOT the same thing as running the computer with the Administrator account, and which fixes several "odd" problems... To create a two layer DVD (or a BluRay?), you MUST have Encore set to use the Run as Administrator option

Run as Administrator http://forums.adobe.com/thread/969395

Odd Errors http://forums.adobe.com/thread/670174

Long File Names or odd characters cause problems

Read http://forums.adobe.com/thread/588273

And #4 http://forums.adobe.com/thread/666558

And This Message Thread http://forums.adobe.com/thread/665641

Things and Software to AVOID when authoring/burning a DVD... says Encore, but also applies to Premiere Elements and disc burning

Start --> http://forums.adobe.com/thread/608660

#2 has WHY Explained http://forums.adobe.com/thread/607390

Plus http://forums.adobe.com/thread/562941

Create an ISO (Encore) or folder on your hard drive (Encore or Premiere Elements) and then use the FREE http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download to write files or folders or ISO to disc for DVD or BluRay (send the author a PayPal donation if you like his program)

Imgburn will read the ACTUAL disc brand from the disc, which is not always the same as the box label (Memorex is notorious for buying "anything" and putting it inside a Memorex box)

When you write to disc with Imgburn, use the SLOWEST possible speed setting, so your burner has the best chance to create "good, well formed" laser burn holes... since no DVD player is required to read a burned disc, having a "good" one from a high quality blank will help

Use Taiyo Yuden single layer or Verbatim Two layer Or Falcon Pro for inkjet printable Two layer

• 9. Re: Error generating movie Adobe Premiere Elements 11
                          Mich165 Community Member

Good news, I finally managed to generate the full 10 minutes in MPEG2 format (haven't tried the other formats, yet).

One thing I did was updating to the latest video drivers. The last time I updated them was 6 months ago and I wasn't expecting that this problem would have anything to do with my video drivers, but maybe it did...

However, I also used msconfig to disable the start-up of all the programs, services, etc. that are not really needed (like automatic updaters of Java, Acrobat reader, webcam, audio controls, etc.).

So, it could also be that one of these programs was interfering with the movie generation process or I now have freed-up enough memory, so the system now has just enough resources available.

I hope it was not a temporary coincidence that it now works, so I will keep my fingers crossed.

Anyway thanks for your input!

Michiel

• 10. Re: Error generating movie Adobe Premiere Elements 11
                            Mich165 Community Member

Onfortunately, the last time was probably only a lucky coincidence. I tried to generate the movie again (after doing some more editing), but the movie generation fails again with "Uknown error".

The total project was now about 15 minutes long, so I guessed it might be a memory problem again, so I tried splitting up the project in two smaller sub-projects of half the size, but unfortunatly it keeps coming up with the error again.

Even when I try to generate a very small portion of the project using "share workbar area only", it still fails.

I do notice that while opening a copy of the old project in a new project, it still loads the preview files from the large original project. I can imagine that they will eat up a lot of memory, while these files are not really needed for movie generation.

Could the old preview files, influence the movie generation process?

• 11. Re: Error generating movie Adobe Premiere Elements 11
                              Kufa_Sthlm

Hey Mich,

Unfortunately I'm experiencing the exact same kind of problems; did you solve them somehow?

I'm also running a win7 32bits, two hard drives with tons of space, big continuous page file, etc.

My bet is that PE just run out of memory.. I ended up removing all preview files and rebooting before exporting anything, seemed to help a bit at times.

Sometimes it works to just try again after it failed, and noticed that the success rate were bigger when using QT output files. I even ended up exporting in uncompressed AVI, huge files, but at least it did work for some HD projects i couldn't even export on DVD, and could compress them afterwards with another tool.

This is just a bunch of silly problems, I'm extremely disapointed of the very poor stability of PE11 and the totally useless error messages.

• 12. Re: Error generating movie Adobe Premiere Elements 11
                                Mich165 Community Member

Hello Kufa,

Last week I managed to generate a DVD from my movie (without an intermediate mpeg-2 step).

I have also read the recommendations here:

http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elements/kb/error-error-compiling-movie-render.html

Step 5 could have done the trick: disable auto save.

But, like you, I also deleted all the generated preview files before opening the project and then started generating the movie immediately, without generating the preview files.

However, I'm not sure if one of these steps fixed the problem or it was just a coincidence again, given my previous experiences.

I will need to generate the movie some more times and find out if the problem has defenitely gone.

Goodluck with it!

Michiel