9 Replies Latest reply: Nov 26, 2012 11:08 PM by dug the mug RSS

CS5 failing to launch

dug the mug

Greetings,

My CS5 is failing to launch! I tried to export a file from Lightroom 4 and it just doesn't launch. Then I get the Adobe Application Manager launching, but nothing happens. I can't quit it, so I then force quit it.

I've uninstalled & reinstalled the software to no avail. I'm over it.

Can anybody help pleeeeeeeease???

• 1. Re: CS5 failing to launch
          Curt Y Community Member

Reset the preferences.  Start PS and immediately hold down the shift alt ctrl keys.  If fast enough will get a reset window.

• 2. Re: CS5 failing to launch
            dug the mug Community Member

Hi Curt Y,

Thanks for your help. Unfortunately I'm getting no joy with what you suggested!

Cheers

Doug

• 3. Re: CS5 failing to launch
              Mylenium CommunityMVP

We need some system info and a better description of what you are actually trying to do. Sounds like AUM/ AAM is simply trying to find a compatible version of Camera RAW and install it because your image is not supported in CS5's version of ACR. Check this:

Camera Raw plug-in | Supported cameras

Camera Raw-compatible Adobe applications

Mylenium

• 4. Re: CS5 failing to launch
                the_wine_snob Community Member

Along with Mylenium's questions, one common cause of launch failure is an obsolete video driver.

What is the make and model of you video card/chip?

What is the version and date of your installed video driver? Is that the latest version from the mfgr.?

What OS are you on?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: CS5 failing to launch

Gidday again,

Well, I'm no tech-head I must admit, I'm just a travel photographer who uses his Macs & software to get my work off to my editors. The problems I'm having are on my new Macbook Pro 15" retina, running 10.8.2. I'm using Lightroom 4 and shoot with Canon 5D MKII's. I've never had an issue with exporting out of LR into PS, until yesterday.

So now when attempting to edit a copy in PS it's piping up with this "The file could not be edited because Adobe Photoshop CS5.1 could not be launched."

Then this appears "this version of Lightroom may require the Photohop Camera Raw plug-inversion 7.2 for full compatibility". I'd like to be able to change it in the PS help but it won't launch anymore. All I'm getting is a one bounce of the PS icon in the menu, then the "Adobe Application Manager" kicks in. I can't quit it manager and have to force quit it.

Now, it's got to have something with the updates surely? There's a .1 added to the CS5, and there's the update to LR4.2.

Come on guru's, help me sort this **** out. What do I need to do???

Cheers!

• 6. Re: CS5 failing to launch
                    Curt Y Community Member

It should run on ACR 6.7 which is last version of CS5. 

Think CS5.1 was the rent by month version?

• 7. Re: CS5 failing to launch
                      conroy Community Member

Maybe you should try reinstalling LR 4 and not allowing the update to 4.2.  

• 8. Re: CS5 failing to launch

I bought the normal run of the mill upgrade/download CS5 on my Adobe site... Uninstalled PS5, downloaded it again, sure enough, it's CS5.1, and sure enough, it's still stuffed. I don't think there's a conection between LR though...

What now ya reckon???

• 9. Re: CS5 failing to launch

Ok, looks like I've sorted it!

It was a combination of a couple of stupid things. Firstly a corrupt "Adobe Application Manager", once I had trashed that and reinstalled it I finally had some info to go on. It was as simple as deregistering PS5 on another laptop of mine... If I hadn't have reinstalled the Adobe Application Manager I really don't know what I would have done. I was then able to go to the help and update the plug ins.

Thanks all for your help, I love computers, but only when they work!

Doug Pearson

(Check some of my work at www.awl-images.com if you want to see some of the dumb photographers work... )