9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2008 1:32 PM by peterevensen

What is AIR not appropriate for?

Technarch Level 1
      What type of software would be unsuitable for AIR? Would hardware or CPU intensive software be better developed using traditional programming languages? Would some software run better as a Windows application than an AIR application? I don't have specific examples, but I'm wondering what kind of software would not be the best choice for use with AIR.
        • 1. Re: What is AIR not appropriate for?
          KPE3000 Level 1
          Drivers :-)

Well, seriously it depends on what you need. Flex/AIR is 3-5 times simpler and faster to work with than the usual Windows alternatives. Of course this also have a price, which comes in the form of loosing control over smaller details. If you need to write intensive calculations in tight loops, or need to control OS specific features or deal directly with hardware - you should not even consider Flex/AIR.

Flex/AIR/AS3 is a very elegant framework suited for developing distributed and rich UI's, and there's no match for it in this area. However, I believe there's very little you can do with it, out of this context.
          • 2. Re: What is AIR not appropriate for?
            Technarch Level 1
            What about programs that use DirectX, OpenGL, or need direct hardware access?
            • 3. Re: What is AIR not appropriate for?
              KPE3000 Level 1
              These things are not possible with AIR. DirectX is an M$ proprietary interface so giving access to this directly would violate the cross platform idea of AIR, Currently Flex/AIR is not able to work with 3D objects (AFAIK), but when it comes, it would have it's own AIR layer (interface) that in turn would interface with the different OS specific 3D layers (and hereby hardware).
              • 4. Re: What is AIR not appropriate for?
                dan_hin
                would Director be able to handle these sorts of things?
                • 5. Re: What is AIR not appropriate for?
                  KPE3000 Level 1
                  AFAIK Director comes with 3D support and requires ShockWave on the end user system.
                  • 6. Re: What is AIR not appropriate for?
                    rinse Level 1
                    Director files exported as projectors do not require the shockwave plug in.
                    • 7. What is AIR not appropriate for?
                      Steveorevo
                      AIR apparently is not appropriate for Value Added Resale either. M$ makes a fortune allowing you to extend and build upon their Office Application suite by using there development tools to tack on custom functionality, provide solutions and build useful applications.

AIR is apparently not in that ballpark. AIR cannot be used to extend the CS3 application suite. There are no interfaces for accessing any of CS3's imaging, or other functionality or to build any VAR solutions with any Adobe applications. Each Adobe application uses similar but not fully compatible interfaces to expose and extend functionality. There is some support for PDF files but not in the sense of building value added functionality.

For instance, if you intend to build a medical imaging and reporting application for a workstation using features of photoshop for enhancement and InDesign to automate custom report generation, you can do this using Microsoft high level development tools like Visual Basic to interface with Adobe's products than you are with Adobe AIR development tools to interface with their own products.
                      • 8. Re: What is AIR not appropriate for?
                        rinse Level 1
                        scarroll, an excellent post and a topic I hope is addressed for version 2.0 of AIR.
                        • 9. Re: What is AIR not appropriate for?
                          peterevensen Level 1
                          I really wish I could use AIR, but I cannot, because it requires an install on every workstation. That is not acceptable in our environment. Our users do not want to have to install a runtime on every machine.

It is very frustrating. Adobe could have made AIR a great solution for deploying Flash to the desktop. Instead they went with a 90's runtime model.