6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 4, 2008 1:56 PM by Newsgroup_User

Director, Vista, QuickTime 7

BSpero Level 1
      Hey all,
      I know the simple answer to this question, and that is to wait until the new version comes out, which is officially certified for Vista, but I want to know... I have a CD that was created on XP with Director MX2004. It contains a number of QuickTime files with captioning and encoded with H.264 in QuickTime 7. These fail to play on Vista, but work fine on XP. Can I attribute this to a lack of an updated QuickTime Xtra? I assume it is the combination of everything, but maybe someone had some work arounds?

- B
        • 1. Re: Director, Vista, QuickTime 7
          Level 7
          Is quicktime installed on the Vista machine?
          • 2. Director, Vista, QuickTime 7
            BSpero Level 1
            Yes, it is installed. Also, other QuickTime movies can be played with Director, ones created for 6 and below for example.
            • 3. Re: Director, Vista, QuickTime 7
              mozgomedia Level 1
              Since Director MX 2004 is now 4 yrs old. It's safe to assume the Quicktime Xtra is not updated enough to work with Vista and the latest versions of Quicktime. Your only option at this point may be to convert your videos to WMV and use those instead of QT.
              • 4. Re: Director, Vista, QuickTime 7
                Level 7
                Do the movies play outside of Director on that machine? I have not used
                that codec, but I have done a few projects recently with QT in Dir MX 04
                and they all worked without a hitch.
                • 5. Re: Director, Vista, QuickTime 7
                  BSpero Level 1
                  The movies play outside of Director. I would convert them to WMV, but they already exist and have a caption track. I am doing updates to an existing project, so any departure from the previous standards could also be testy, since all CDs would have to be updated regardless of changes, etc...
                  • 6. Re: Director, Vista, QuickTime 7
                    Level 7
                    I have only one laptop with Vista on it and it crashes on h264 Quicktimes
                    too. I can't say h264 is 100% perfect on XP Pro either. On one PC with dual
                    outputs, the h264 in QT in Director crashed the instant it was dragged to
                    the 2nd screen on XP Pro, it was fine in Sorensen.

"BSpero" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                    news:fqjipf$mbp$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    > Hey all,
                    > I know the simple answer to this question, and that is to wait until
                    > the
                    > new version comes out, which is officially certified for Vista, but I want
                    > to
                    > know... I have a CD that was created on XP with Director MX2004. It
                    > contains a
                    > number of QuickTime files with captioning and encoded with H.264 in
                    > QuickTime
                    > 7. These fail to play on Vista, but work fine on XP. Can I attribute this
                    > to a
                    > lack of an updated QuickTime Xtra? I assume it is the combination of
                    > everything, but maybe someone had some work arounds?
                    >
                    > - B
                    >