17 Replies Latest reply: Nov 27, 2012 12:18 AM by fincaman2 RSS

Page colour

fincaman2 Community Member

Hello all, Ihave just completed my first page in dreamweaver and as the tutorial said it really was WYSIWYG worked first time. The only thing I can't figure out is how to add colour or an image to the right and left of my page on the net. I have used 1 cloumn fixd centered.

Regards

Kevin

• 1. Re: Page colour
          sudarshan.t CommunityMVP

Kevin, can we see your code?

I understand you've mentioned you've created your 'first page' in DW. But, are you using CSS to style your webpage? Based on this, we can advice on how you can achieve what your original question states.

-ST

• 2. Re: Page colour

Hello and thanks for your reply, I needed to get the webpage up and running so I watched a few tutorials and ploughd in, I now intend to learn about style sheets but in this case all I did was choose 1 cloumn fixed centered then added my header image at the top, some text then six photos in a table. It all looks fine but I would like to fill in the two sides on the net with colour or images.

Regards

Kevin

• 3. Re: Page colour
              hans-g. CommunityMVP

Hi Kevin,

did you "play" already with (translated from my German DW) insert > image  (or STRG+ALT+I) AND/OR with the background color of your "page properties"?

And in addition to Sudarshan Thiagarajan's hint, I think so too you should load up your pages to your server, no matter how they look like. And this means that you had to work out a precise logical concept.

Hans-Günter

• 4. Re: Page colour

Thanks Hans that cured it, I just right clicked on the background went to properties where you can select a colour or an Image for the background. I'm just annoyed that I didn't find it myself

Regards

Kevin

• 5. Re: Page colour
                  sudarshan.t CommunityMVP

Kevin, Glad you've found a way to do that.

If you need any further assistance with CSS, do not hesitate to post back.

Happy to help

• 6. Re: Page colour

Thank's for your reply, I do have one unrelated question, when I replace a page on my server (I always delete then upload) it takes anything fron three hours to three days to change, is that correct ? or should I contact my provider

• 7. Re: Page colour
                      Nancy O. CommunityMVP

That's not a good thing.

Did you refresh your browser cache?

Are you using free hosting?

Nancy O.

• 8. Re: Page colour
                        sudarshan.t CommunityMVP

You don't have to delete and re-upload. You can choose to overwrite.

But if it takes 3hours or 3days I'd suspect it is to do with your browser cookies. Try clearing your browser cache and reload the page.

• 9. Re: Page colour
                          hans-g. CommunityMVP

Hi Kevin,

in addition  I would like put in my two cents too:

In all these cases I'm not a friend of a detailed troubleshooting. It is one of the reasons why I prefer an external FTP program. The difficulties with which you have to fight encourage me in this opinion, not least because we always search for experts, we don't charge a "jack of all trades".

For this reason, to manage, for example, several websites or to upload my files and sometimes for the opposite way, for a necessary download from my server or to use a "a site-wide synch", I'm using FileZilla. It simply looks easier for me to keep track of all operations precisely and generate or reflect easily the desired tree structure. AND I never had a problem with cache or overwriting.

Above all, FileZilla has a feature (translation from my German FileZilla) called "compare file list". Here it's possible to use file size or modification time as a criterion. There is also the possibility to "hide identical files", so that only these files which you want to redact remain visible.

And even if it means you have to install a new program, I am convinced that there is an advantage. Here is the link to get it and where you can read informations about how it works:

http://filezilla-project.org/ and http://wiki.filezilla-project.org/Tutorial#Using_the_site_manager

Mac: Mac OS X
                          http://filezilla-project.org/download.php

Of course, you also need all the access data to reach your server.

Good luck!
                          Hans-Günter

• 10. Re: Page colour

Hello again, this is a reply to you both I have five domains but only one is really active, how do I refresh my browser cache ? do you mean Explorer ?

Regards

Kevin

• 11. Re: Page colour

Dear Hans ,thanks for your help I too use Filezilla to upload

Regards

Kevin

• 12. Re: Page colour

Hello again, I have deleted my browser cookies and one page that wasn't showing did but others didn't. I have something really wierd going on I have just been to one of my unimportant websites and deleted the index page, guess what ? it still shows on the web. I would have thought this was impossible !!!

Regards

Kevin

• 13. Re: Page colour
                                  Nancy O. CommunityMVP

Kevin,

You are probably seeing a cached version of the site that was stored in your browser's memory.   Use Ctrl+R or Ctrl+F5 to refresh your browser.

Also try using a different browser (Firefox, Chrome, Safari or Opera) that doesn't have cached versions of your site.

Failing that, contact your host & ask them why it takes so long to see updates on your site.  They may be doing something at their end.

Nancy O.

• 14. Re: Page colour

Dear Nancy, this has completely cured my problem but what is worrying is that I was on my providers helpline for a solid two and a half hours

yesterday and they didn't come up with this very worrying

Regards

Kevin

• 15. Re: Page colour
                                      Nancy O. CommunityMVP

Providers are rarely helpful.  Their job is to provide you with hosting. That's all they do.

Nancy O.

• 16. Re: Page colour
                                        sudarshan.t CommunityMVP

Kevin, who is your web hosting provider? Little different to what Nancy said, small-size web hosting providers can be more reliable and offer more support that the giants like GoMommy and so on..

• 17. Re: Page colour

Dear All, I have been very stressed out by the troubles I was having but all is well now. My Internet provider is Dataflame and in truth they were very helpful but I don't understand why in two and a half hours on the chatline and a further two hours by e-mail they didn't sus what my problem was, I kept saying "when I change or even delete a file on the server it is still there on the internet" It's a good job I tried this forum because I found the answer in minutes. Lots of studying now need to learn about CSS

Regards

Kevin