4 Replies Latest reply: Jan 28, 2013 7:26 AM by Alex.Dawson RSS

exporting layers of audio from After Effects  cs6 to Premiere / or Audition? Is this possible?

Alex.Dawson Community Member

exporting layers of audio from After Effects  cs6 to Premiere / or Audition? Is this possible?

Help - I have an After effects project with multiple layered files and want to copy these to Premiere / Audition. For example I know if you select multiple video files from After Effects these can be pasted straight into Premiere intact - but this does not work with audio. I want to take existing layered audio files from After Effects to Audition / or Premiere but can't copy and paste - is there a simple solution for this?

• 1. Re: exporting layers of audio from After Effects  cs6 to Premiere / or Audition? Is this possible?
          Dave LaRonde Community Member

Export either a wav or aiff file of the desired audio.  As long as there are no mp3 or ac3 files (i.e. compressed audio), the resulting audio file will be fine. 

• 2. Re: exporting layers of audio from After Effects  cs6 to Premiere / or Audition? Is this possible?

Hi thanks Dave for responding - yes that could work as a 'workaround' -  I was hoping there would be a way I can keep the existing independent audio layers and corresponding audio levels from After Effects- in the same way I can copy and paste video files from After Effects to Premiere - rather than exporting a flattened AIFF /WAV from After Effects.

This would then allow me a lot more control working on the final edit - especially as currently a lot of the audio layers overlap. It does seem there is no simple solution for this, so  otherwise I can do what you suggest - and 'stagger all the audio files' in sequence so they do not overlap on the timeline and then when I import the flattened exported AIFF file into Audition/ Premeire / I then can cut it up again and recreate the overlaps. Was hoping there might be a simple copy + paste method or other 'export method' but I guess this is simply not possible. It would save me about 7 hours of work, but not the end of the world I guess

One final point - some of the audio clips are .mp3s but the majority are WAVS, hopefully this should not create any issues on the export.

thanks again for your help, if you or anyone has any other solution pls let me know

Best

Alex

• 3. Re: exporting layers of audio from After Effects  cs6 to Premiere / or Audition? Is this possible?
              Dave LaRonde Community Member

Technology has not yet progressed to the point where you can keep changing your mind about the cut right up to final delivery.  The term "Picture Lock" is most certainly very much alive and well... or in your case, "Sound Lock", I suppose.

But why even mess with audio AT ALL?  is it absolutely necessary?  Didn't you use the audio in AE as simple references and aids to animation?  Don't the audio tracks exist in Premiere already?

• 4. Re: exporting layers of audio from After Effects  cs6 to Premiere / or Audition? Is this possible?

actually there is a really simple solution for this

1)- in After Effects : File_Export_Premiere_pro_project

2) Then Open this premiere project - Edit _Edit in Audition_Sequence

(note don't select any single audio layers and thus it forces the entire sequence to be transferred to audition when selection sequence here)

Quite a simple solution and it saved me loads of time!