11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 27, 2012 3:54 PM by Alexbie

Help setting up AE & PremPro CS6 on iMAC

Alexbie Level 1

Hi there.  I am new to setting up AE and Premiere Pro on my system and I would like a recommendation on setting them up on recently purchased iMAC to run CS6 After Effects and Premiere Pro.  Specs on MAC are:  3.4Ghz Quad Core Intel i7 I7-2600 processor (2 threads per core) with a dedicated 256k level 2 cache for each core and 8MB shared level 3 cache.  Direct Media Interface in lieu of a system bus, , 2TB SATA HDD @ 7200RPM where OS 10.8.2 and applications are currently installed, AMD Radeon HD 6970M w/ 2GB dedicated GDDR5 memory. 2 Thunderbolt ports. 

Question is, for best performance, do I run my OS & CS6 applications (and all other applications) on an external ELGATO SSD 120GB Thunderbolt, and reformat the internal 2TB HDD 7200 RPM as my SCRATCH DISK?  And then use a separate external  1TB Seagate HDD 7200 Thunderbolt to store/work with all my media?  Would this setup be stable for the apps and OS?  Would it be the most efficient for renders and 3D processing? 

In addition, for the SCRATCH DRIVE (sorry, this is a separate question, sort of), do I redirect BOTH the After Effect Disk Cache AND the After Effects CONFORMED MEDIA CACHE to the scratch drive, or do I leave the CONFORMED MEDIA CACHE in the default location on the running OS & apps disk (wherever I configure that internal or external)? 

Many thanks for your help!

• 1. Re: Help setting up AE & PremPro CS6 on iMAC
          Jeff A Wright Adobe Employee

I have moved this discussion to the Premiere Pro CS5, CS5.5, & CS6 forum.  This users in this forum can likely answer your question regarding scratch disk settings.

In regards to the installation while you will receive a performance increase by installing the OS and applications on the external SSD I would not recommend installing on an external drive.  Mainly due to the nature of using an external drive.  I always prefer to run my OS from an internally mounted drive so I would recommend installing the OS and application on that drive.  You can then use the SSD for storage of any files where the read/write rate is particularly important.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Help setting up AE & PremPro CS6 on iMAC
            Alexbie Level 1

Hi Jeff,

Thanks so much for your answer.  That helps me narrow down my choices about how to configure my system, and what kind of external devices to buy.  That being said, I have not yet purchased the SSD drive, which is rather expensive for the amount of storage ($300 for only 120 gigs), and I'm on a really tight budget:  $600 total for 2 external drives:  1 for scratch, 1 for media. 

That being said, would you recommend that for the external scratch disk:  use a 120 GB SSD external w/ thunderbolt? (for combined disk cache use with Avid MC 6.5, CS6: AE, PremPro, Photoshop, Illustrator (but not using them all at the same time).  Would 120GB's be enough space for disk cache of all of those programs?

Secondly, for Media on current projects, if I buy the SSD 120G for scratch, that leaves me $300 out of my $600 budget to get the best possible media solution.  That being said, on After Effects how important is read/write rate?  Is it so crucial that I'd be better off running the media on a separate partition on my one internal drive to take advantage of the space+speed 7200RPM @ 6G/s? (i.e. 1 partition of 1TB for Adobe Media and Avid Media, the other partition of 1TB for OS and all program files) and risk slower performance of my OS and applications..... OR.... Am I better off sacrificing that internal disk speed and buying a firewire 800 external device with a 7200RPM disk @ 1TB (since I can't seem to find any that are Thunderbolt under $300, and since my computer has no eSATA port)?  Nevermind the 10,000 RPM external drives - those are unfortunately way out of my price range, as much as I'd love to have one.  I've also read, by the way, that some people have rigged the Seagate GoFlex thunderbolt port with an INTERNAL 7200RPM disk to save money and gain data speed, but I'm not sure how stable that would be.  I wouldn't want to risk frying all my media.  What do you think?

Any additional suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you!!!!!

• 3. Re: Help setting up AE & PremPro CS6 on iMAC

Alexbie the users in the Premiere Pro CS5, CS5.5, & CS6, which I have already moved your discussion too, should be better able to answer your question as they use After Effects and Premiere Pro on a regular basis.

You may also want to search both the After Effects and Premiere Pro forums to see if these topics have already been brought up previously.  You can find them at the following URLs:

Premiere Pro CS5, CS5.5, & CS6 forum - http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere/premierepro_current

After Effects forum - http://forums.adobe.com/community/aftereffects_general_discussion

• 4. Re: Help setting up AE & PremPro CS6 on iMAC
                Alexbie Level 1

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your help.  Can you also please move my discussion to the Premiere Pro Hardware forum?  I would like someone to answer my hardware setup questions.

Many thanks-

• 5. Re: Help setting up AE & PremPro CS6 on iMAC
                  Jeff Bellune Level 5

Please start a new discussion in the Hardware Forum to discuss hardware issues.  Posting the same discussion in different places creates confusion both now and in the future.

• 6. Re: Help setting up AE & PremPro CS6 on iMAC

Moved this discussion to the Hardware forum.  Alexbie you may want to remove your post in the After Effects forum.

• 7. Re: Help setting up AE & PremPro CS6 on iMAC
                      ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

I would suggest you skip the complexity and get the 4TB version of this:

Keep OSX on the 2TB drive until you can afford to replace it with an SSD.

Put all the media and Cache files on the WD 4TB Storage and that performance will be enough to handle what an IMac with a 2600 CPU in it can handle. Remember the Drive speed will only help so much. The CPU, Ram, and GPU have to get the data from and to the drive.

• 8. Re: Help setting up AE & PremPro CS6 on iMAC
                        Alexbie Level 1

Okay, thanks.  I deleted the After Effects post. 

I read through those other forum links provided in reply #3, which are helpful.  Thank you for that. 

After taking the advice above into consideration and also researching for a about two weeks and reading the forums, I am now leaning toward this new configuration below:  (I am new to Adobe programs --and rather overwhelmed by all of the information out there-- so I would really welcome any additional input as to whether this system setup looks like the most optimal within a limited budget and given my degree of proposed usage, which I'll explain a bit below)

I.  Partition the Internal Drive:

1st. partition=1TB:  OS & All applications & Project Files

(Including Avid MC6.5- for heaviest use, CS6 After Effects - next heaviest use, CS6 Prem Pro - next heaviest use, CS6 Illustrator & Photoshop - next heaviest, in addition to apple programs...)

Keeping in mind, I do all of this editing/grahics as freelance work on the side - so I am not (yet) considered a 'heavy user' ...and most likely won't be for the next year or two, at which point I could be in a position to further upgrade my system with more external devices.

2nd. partition=1TB:  Disk Cache/Scratch Disk for all above applications

Keeping in mind I work mostly on short-form projects-- promos for broadcast mostly & some trailers, and mainly in 1080i 60 format.  I also might be working on a documentary for broadcast TV (potentially) in HD.  I will work with effects but not heavy-user level as I am still learning.

II.  Purchase a portable external thunderbolt HDD to keep all MEDIA used by all above programs.

Note, I am considering buying either:

a) first choice: Lacie Rugged 1TB 5400RPM HDD - which I like best because it also has a USB 3 port which I can use to connect to an      OWC HDD I already own (for backups) which does not have a Thunderbolt port, and the price at $250 makes it affordable to me right now.

b) second choice, which I will also consider if choice a will mean really poor performace:  Lacie 1TB Little Big Disk 7200 RAID0 for      $350 - this is at the higher end of my budget, and because it has no other type of port other than Thunderbolt, I won't be able to back up to      any existing External HDD's I already own, requiring me to spend extra $ to buy another thunderbolt external device to back up to.

Again, thanks in advance to anyone with more expertise than me who can take a look at my proposed setup and offer any changes/recommendations or approval!

• 9. Re: Help setting up AE & PremPro CS6 on iMAC
                          Alexbie Level 1

Awesome - thanks for your expertly suggestion!  This looks like a simple, fast and affordable solution.  (sighs of relief) 

Now, if I buy this WD 4TB DUO and go with a RAID 0 configuration (looks like that's the best option?), can you also recommend as a cost effective backup solution for my media?  (looks like I would need to connect to another external that has a thunderbolt port, unless there is another way to back up the media?)

Many thanks!!

• 10. Re: Help setting up AE & PremPro CS6 on iMAC
                            ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

I would suggest a USB3 Dock referenced below where you can use any Standard Sata HDD you want or a WD USB3 drive.

USB Dock - http://www.siig.com/it-products/controllers-storage/hard-drive-storage/drive-docking/super speed-usb-usb-3-0-to-sata-3gb-s-hard-drive-docking-with-fan.html

WD USB3 Drives - http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=870

• 11. Re: Help setting up AE & PremPro CS6 on iMAC
                              Alexbie Level 1

Okay, super.  Thanks very much for your help.