6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 27, 2012 2:00 PM by Glitchdog

Simple audio "mapping" has me stumped

Glitchdog Level 1

I have mono audio recorded on Ch 1 & 2 of my source video and want Premiere to "map" Ch1 to Ch1 and Ch2 to Ch2. The default seems to be both to Ch1 (see pic). I know it's simple, have tried searching for the settings, but I'm stumped

Premiere modify audio.jpg

• 1. Re: Simple audio "mapping" has me stumped
          Jim_Simon Level 8

If you have two channels, it's not mono, it's stereo.  They will naturally come out Left/Right.

• 2. Re: Simple audio "mapping" has me stumped
            Glitchdog Level 1

Premiere is reading both mono channels and playing them out channel 1 from the source monitor in Premiere CS6. I'm trying to get channel 2 audio to play on the right channel. These clips are definately mono, according to Premiere (see screen grab above). Video ingested from GoPro, Panasonic AVCCAM, DSLR footage all comes in as stereo and plays fine, but not the HDV. I could manually change all the clips to stereo, but I figured I could just re-route channel 2.

I assumed based on the screen grab above that "Channel in track" was also verifying that Premiere would only play audio out channel 1, so I figured if I could change channel 2 to 2 all would be right. Maybe I"m misunderstanding the "Modify Clip" panel in Premiere.

I'm on the latest Mountian Lion release with all the other latest updates and using a Kona LHi to output audio/video. At first I thought it was a Kona problem, but it looks to me like its Premiere. I've spent the day doing tests and interacting with AJA.

• 3. Re: Simple audio "mapping" has me stumped
              Jim_Simon Level 8

but not the HDV.

From what camera?

On a side note, genuine mono audio will come out both speakers by default.  If it's only coming out one speaker, then either it's not mono, or you have a Pan/Balance setting on that clip/track somewhere.

• 4. Re: Simple audio "mapping" has me stumped
                Glitchdog Level 1

The HDV was originally recorded on a Sony Z1U a few years ago and digitized via FCP7. I"ve been happily editing with the footage in Premiere 5.5 with no audio issues. So after some sluthing I guessed I still didn't understand all the subtle nuances with the new audio in CS6.

Yesterday I did a test and routed the audio directly through the MacPro line out and it plays on both channels, but combines both, rather than keeping the left/right seperate. When I play the clip in the source monitor in Premiere the meters in Premiere show correctly, not combining them, with one channel being hotter than the other. Yet the audio when routed out the LHi, both analogue and SDI are Channel 1 only.

I also tested changing one (of hundreds of HDV clips) to stereo and then it plays correctly. From the best I can tell the LHi card is simple doing what Premiere is telling it to do.

Thanks for taking the time to post Jim! I'll look at the pan/balance and see, but I'll have to see if I can change all the clips in one go. I guess this is done in the audio mixer panel, at least that's the only way I've seen to do it (and frankly keep forgetting its there). My brain still thinks some like FCP

• 5. Re: Simple audio "mapping" has me stumped
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

digitized via FCP7.

Ah, there's the issue.  I'd recommend recapturing with PP.  This puts things back to where they should be.

• 6. Re: Simple audio "mapping" has me stumped
                    Glitchdog Level 1

Since everything else is fine, if I can find a work around, even if I have to change the clips to stereo I'd go that route first. I've used "Modify clip" in the past to change a whack of clips before. That seems the simplest route. CS6 must be dealing with the same clips differently, like I said, I had no problems with audio in 5.5 and that's from the same HDV footage digitized w/FCP7.