4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 29, 2012 2:07 AM by JFPhoton

Hard drive / SSD in new notebook for CS6

waynecollier

I am thinking of purchasing a Lenovo W530 with:

i7-3820QM

16GB mSATA Solid State Cache Drive

Win7

It has an option for a hot-swappable drive bay

I've read that SSD is ideal for the OS and programs and that an independent drive for files and scratch drive is a good idea. Lenovo says that it will not offer an SSD in the removable drive bay. Memory seems to be a lot cheaper elsewhere and I could buy an SSD and insert it later as the main drive.

What drive (HD or SSD) and what capacity should the main internal drive be?  Brand?

Is a separate scratch drive needed?  Can it be set up in the removable bay?  HD or SSD?  Capacity?

Where should files be stored?

How should the drive or drives be configured?

Also, it comes with 2 DIMM for a total of 8GB of RAM. Any suggestions about the optimum amount and what type to purchase?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Hard drive / SSD in new notebook for CS6
          Alex - DV411 Level 2

What drive (HD or SSD) and what capacity should the main internal drive be?  Brand?

The sweet spot (value for the money) is 500GB 7200rpm drive, I believe.  I'd use Lenovo's HD plus mSATA SSD; or get the cheapest they offer, and swap it for a 256GB Samsung 840 or Intel 520 SSD.

Is a separate scratch drive needed?

Not to my knowledge.

Where should files be stored?

OS and apps - on the boot (main) drive.  Media - on a dedicated volume - either a 2nd drive on the W530 or a fast external volume (e.g. an external USB 3.0 array or 7200rpm drive).

Also, it comes with 2 DIMM for a total of 8GB of RAM. Any suggestions about the optimum amount and what type to purchase?

16GB is good; 32GB may be better if your projects are complex and/or you dynamic-link a lot to AE.  There are multiple sources of 3rd party RAM, I believe Kingston modules mentioned here are compatible.

• 2. Re: Hard drive / SSD in new notebook for CS6
            waynecollier Level 1

Thanks for such a comprehensive response.  It would be less expensive to order an SSD drive and replace the 500GB 7200rpm drive that comes with the unit.  What capacity SSD drive would you recommend?

As for external volumes, do they run much slower than using a HD in a drive bay?

• 3. Re: Hard drive / SSD in new notebook for CS6
              Alex - DV411 Level 2

What capacity SSD drive would you recommend?

240-256GB is the "sweet spot".

As for external volumes, do they run much slower than using a HD in a drive bay?

Depends on a variety of factors: number of drives, connection type and speed, RAID controller (if any).

No significant difference if it's a single (mechanical) drive over eSATA or USB 3.0.  Speeds are in the range of 120-160MB/s (when empty).

An external volume with two drives in RAID0 running on a USB 3.0 or eSATA 3G port will be quite a bit faster than a single internal mechanical drive - over 200MB/s vs. under 160MB/s.

• 4. Re: Hard drive / SSD in new notebook for CS6
                JFPhoton Level 3

......here's something I learned from experience, and from someone on the web :

Concerning USB3.........I was not getting more than 105MB/sec. transfer speed using a SATA II Corsair SSD in a USB3 external dock......should have been around 200 MB/sec.    AND, the drive kept "disappearing" and going off-line repeatedly.

I first located a newer driver for the USB3 controller on my PC and installed it.....voila!.......new speeds of over 200MB/sec.!!!!

Then,  to solve the "disappearing" issue.....I went into device manager, found all the USB3 "root hubs"...and made sure none of them had the box checked that says : " Let Windows Shut Off Device when not in use".....that fixed it!!!

Bottom line....you CAN get a fast speed on USB3 of over 200MB/sec. using an SSD.   Single HDD would top out at 135 to 150, ( 3.5" in a dock)