3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2012 7:27 AM by Dave LaRonde

Trial version of After Effects - which do I choose?

Pollyjesters18

I currently own the Design and Web Premium pacakge, but wanted a trial version of After Effects to complete a motion graphic I am creating.

The trial offer includes the choice of; a free trial download or to join the Creative Cloud and download now (Recommended - it's free).

I am a little confused as to what it means, to my knowledge the Creative Cloud is through subscription only and isn't offered for free. So I just wondered what it meant?
      If I choose to join and download that trial will I then have to pay an annual subscription? - When I clicked this option no card details were requested and I do not have any linked to my Adobe ID.

Somebody help please?

• 1. Re: Trial version of After Effects - which do I choose?
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

I currently own the Design and Web Premium pacakge, but wanted a trial version of After Effects to complete a motion graphic I am creating... If I choose to join and download that trial will I then have to pay an annual subscription?

First things first: you say you want AE to complete a motion graphic.  This would lead people to believe that you've used AE before.  Have you?  It's a yes/no question, and a "How tough can it be to learn?" response counts as a no.

Second question: if you DO download the 30-day trial, do you intend to continue using AE, assuming you already know how to use it?

The reasons for the questions:

AE contains many, many hidden pitfalls for the uninitiated that obliterate the tight deadlines of those who think, "How tough can it be to learn?", and those same pitfalls easily can extend a reasonable learning period beyond 30 days for busy individuals.

• 2. Re: Trial version of After Effects - which do I choose?
            Pollyjesters18 Level 1

I am a student and have project to create a motion graphic portfolio.

So I have a set deadline, that is the 11th December, and within the 30 days of the trial period. I have also learnt parts of the program at college, and know (roughly) what I need to do with the software.

I have created different elements of the motion graphic in Flash Pro already, anf have some stills I need to add into the video.

I have acces to the program at my college, and just wanted the software on my laptop so I can work from home too.

• 3. Re: Trial version of After Effects - which do I choose?
              Dave LaRonde Level 6

To use the same AE project file at school AND at home, the versions have to match.  No way around it.

The current trial version is CS6.  What version is at school?  If it isn't CS6, it's time to re-think when and where you both learn and work with AE.