3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2012 12:07 AM by thislooksgreat

Q for Med-Adv user: Change complex shape color

thislooksgreat Level 1

Hi, I have a client which wants me to change the color of his products - from bronze to chrome and vice versa. I'm specialized in web design in Photoshop, I tried different techniques but didn't manage to get a good enough result. I have to add that it's not only 1 product, but up to 100. Here are the images:

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/8894/p1013c.jpg

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/2013/p0975z.jpg

What do you guys suggest?

• 1. Re: Q for Med-Adv user: Change complex shape color
          JJMack Most Valuable Participant

One way would be to use the quick selection tool to create a selection of the product areas like the bronze and chrome area. With the selection active add a hue and saturation adjustment layer. Them use the properties to colorize it.

• 2. Re: Q for Med-Adv user: Change complex shape color
            c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

Adding to JJMack’s advice on using Adjustment Layers:

The images you posted are poorly fitted to automating the task in a significant way, I’m afraid.

You will likely have to do considerable manual masking because the chrome armature does not separate from the white ceramic very well.

And changing the image with the black product with the matt finish to a reflective-surface-appearance would probably be a pretty time intensive task.

Should your customers dare say something like »but to achieve this effect in Photoshop you just have to …«: Beware – your cutomers might not be willing to pay for the time the work actually takes because they don’t comprehend the task.

In any case getting the RAW images (or 16bit images from that originak data) might help as with extreme color adjustments working in 16bit can be beneficial. 

colorTest2Scr.jpg

• 3. Re: Q for Med-Adv user: Change complex shape color
              thislooksgreat Level 1

Thank you for the reply. Automating the process seemed very unlikely for the get go. I wanted to see at least how to achieve this efffect and in what time frame. Your result is pretty good thou still not presentable as you know. I will play with it some more. As I understand, the client is willing to pay the cost, but I'd have to take it one step at a time.