3 Replies Latest reply: Nov 28, 2012 9:00 PM by Steven L. Gotz RSS

I create files so big I can't play them?

StaceeJaxx

I just can't wrap my head around this idea.

How come, when I render out a video file (and it doesn't have to be a long movie) in 1920 X 1080 - H264, I end up with a MULTI-Gigabyte file that is so large I can't play it on my Apple TV, can't even watch it on my computer. It seems the hardware just isn't fast enough (or powerful enough) to play it.

When I render it out in 1280 X 720 format (using the Vimeo preset/H264) it plays just fine; but, of course, it isn't 1920 X 1080. And it doesn't have that crystal clear resolution I see in HD.

I've read some stuff about outputting projects to suit the customer's "playback" requirements, but who can play such huge files? Do you need a Cray SuperComputer (which they don't even make anymore) to play these files back?

If you could point me to some docs on this topic, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

John

• 1. Re: I create files so big I can't play them?
          J. Simon Community Member

What are your media, sequence and export settings?  Be detailed.

• 2. Re: I create files so big I can't play them?
            StaceeJaxx

I shoot only AVCHD video and I use the trick I learned on Video2Brain where you set the sequence settings by selecting the video clip. So I'm shooting my video at 1920 X 1080 - at least that's what it says in the project window. So I know that my video clips and sequences are the same.

It doesn't make an difference what the export settings are, the only ones that seem to work are the Vimeo presets. In fact, I don't use any presets except the Vimeo 720P anymore.

But, as I recall, I used the Quicktime preset, and I'm pretty sure I used H264

Well...I'll be dammed...I just rendered out two pieces of footage. One was rendered out using the Vimeo settings and the other rendered out H264 - HD 1080p 29.97 - square pixels. Of course this file is 5X the size of the first one. But it played just fine. OK, now I've rendered out another one in Quicktime Format - Preset = HD 1080i 29.97 (that seemed to get picked automatically when I selected Quicktime). This time, instead of an .mp4 it's rendering out as a .mov file.

You know, as I think about it, this problem was at least two revisions of Premier ago when there were no presets, or at least not like there are now. In fact I KNOW there was no Vimeo preset - so when was that? CS4??

Hells Bells, this is rendering out pretty fast, so far. I recall it taking 1/2 hour the last time.

OK, so shut my mouth! The .mov file runs @ 1920 X 1080 and looks freaking FANTASTIC!

I'm embarrassed.

Now I DO have this same problem with After Effects but that's for another forum. I guess I need to look at the export settings for AE. For example, I'm rendering out a 5 SECOND clip from AE, it's almost 750MB and absolutely will not run in real time. I'll post that issue over there.

But for now Premiere is working just fantastic.

• 3. Re: I create files so big I can't play them?
              Steven L. Gotz Community Member

If you like the Vimeo presets, just limit the AE export to 5Mb/s. That should be the same as the Premiere Pro export.