7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2012 3:05 PM by the_wine_snob

Editing problem

MS.Tundo

hello

I just imported some video's in adobe premiere CS5, but when i wanted to edit them, they seemed to be damaged.

I tried everything, but the files didn't seem to work.

the thing is, when i play the files in VLC player, there is nothing wrong with them,

does anyone have an idea what i'm doing wrong ?

btw sorry for my bad language i'm from the netherlands, my english isn't so good

• 1. Re: Editing problem
          Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Your English is just fine.

Run the file through Media info and post a screendump of the analyses.

http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/nl

Do you have all the codecs available. (shown in the New Sequence tab, there about 16)

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Editing problem
            MS.Tundo Level 1

i have al the codecs, i need to purchase the media info app first i'll post a.s.a.p. a screendump

• 3. Re: Editing problem
              the_wine_snob Level 9

MediaInfo is a free utility, so no purchase. Just click on the link that Ann provided - it's for the Dutch version too.

When we can see what the CODEC is, inside the file format, that will probably tell the tale. Some CODEC's are for playback only (some players, like VLC also have their own CODEC's, but just for playback). Some will also work as Encoders, and a very small sub-set will work with editing programs, like PrPro. Also, some NLE (Non Linear Editor) programs can work with some CODEC's, that others cannot - it depends on how the program is written.

For more background on AV files, and CODEC's, see this article: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/440037?tstart=0

Good luck, and let us know more about those files.

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Editing problem
                Jim_Simon Level 8

the files didn't seem to work.

Can you elaborate on what that means exactly?

• 5. Re: Editing problem
                  Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

MS.Tundo wrote:

i have al the codecs, i need to purchase the media info app first i'll post a.s.a.p. a screendump

No need to buy its free.

What error message do you get when importing the files.

• 6. Re: Editing problem
                    MS.Tundo Level 1

heey everyone

thanks for the comments, but i found oud what the problem was

my teacher gave me the wrong files.

before he gave me this project, an other student worked at it, and those files had been "edited" by him.

my teaacher tought there were no problems with them, but he was wrong

he gave me the good files now, and everything is working fine, thanks for the help.

although the help was of no use with this project, i learned that there are some things i need to check before i start with a project.

so thank you very much everyone

• 7. Re: Editing problem
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Great news, and good luck with the project. Thanks for sharing what the problem was.

Hunt