2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2012 4:19 AM by Colin Flashman

Creating a Script to put text in InHouse Style

DoJoDan

Hi

Was thinking about this, but does anyone use a Script in InDesign to make text go into an inhouse style? For example you lay copy out, run the script and the script checks the copy for date styles, use of ampersands, capitalisation etc. A bit like a spell checker...

Thanks

DoJoDan

• 1. Re: Creating a Script to put text in InHouse Style
          DoJoDan Level 1

Has anyone done this before? Or any ideas on how it could be done? Thanks

• 2. Re: Creating a Script to put text in InHouse Style
            Colin Flashman Adobe Community Professional

If I'm reading the post right, is there a post that checks files for consistency in styles for, say, appearance of

• dollar values (e.g. $25, $25.00, $25-00);
            • time (e.g. 3pm, 3.00pm, 3.00 pm, 3:00pm, 3:00 pm, 3:00 PM)
            • use of dashes (e.g. 1-2, 1 - 2, 1 – 2, 1–2)

Personally, no... but it is a great idea and somewhat doable, provided the target style of everything is known. It would be a case of using the FindChangebyList.jsx and then making GREP changes which would find the above (and other) values and successfully change them to the desired formats. The values which FindChangebyList.jsx fixes are normally double spaces, -- to –, etc. What this script "hunts down" can be added to, but obtaining the correct GREPS to appropriately search – and target accurately the appropriate formats is the next matter.

This would be my first port of call:

http://indesignsecrets.com/grep

otherwise, multi find/change by automatication.com is effectively the same thing BUT has a better user interface and doesn't require the knowledge of scripting.

in terms of "is there one already floating about and made for me to use"... then I don't think there is.