13 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2012 11:54 AM by Lewiz Branched from an earlier discussion.

Premiere Pro Crashing On Windows

Lewiz Level 1

PC's are also being struck by the mysteries of CUDA in Premiere CS6.  I have literally tried everything to get Premiere CS6 working, including a full erase and reformat the C drive, installing Windows 7 again with as little drivers as possible, and right after that installing THE PREMIERE FAMILY only, but it still crashes immediately when I switch the MPE to "GPU accelerated", with any kind of footage in the timeline, that is.

So even on a clean system this CUDA stuff isn't working, I wonder if I will ever get it to work. By the way, CS5 goes great with the CUDA enabled, so there MUST have been a GREAT change that Adobe made in the CS6 MPE, they simply won't admit this and keep saying it's a setting. But as said, CS 5 DOES work so what setting could that for heaven's sake be?

Sigh... I am starting to hate Premiere.

• 1. Re: The Mac CS6 "Serious Error" thread
          Charles832 Level 1

I tried this today after my system got to the point where I couldn't even get CS6 open without a crash...so far so good.....

I know this doesn't mean much to Mac users but there may be a similar issue out there....

In VISTA and WIN7 there is a known issue with Timeout detection of recovery in the registry.......I avoided this until I found a fix I could download from microsoft to make the adjustment...here are the notes I sent to the nvidia tech today.....

I have uninstalled and let windows install the basic driver, I have not updated that driver yet.

I had read about this TDR below last week and decided to give it a try, rather than adjusting the registry myself there was a download on this page for windows to fix it. I am going to try this now for a day and see if I still crash......You should both read this all over...it is related to two errors, both of the ones I sent you earlier.... Open GL and the other one about the driver.... Display driver stopped responding and has recovered.” lets see what happens....Ill let you know.

Charlie

Method 1: Increase the GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) processing time by adjusting the Timeout Detection and Recovery registry value

Timeout Detection and Recovery is a Windows feature that can detect when video adapter hardware or a driver on your PC has taken longer than expected to complete an operation. When this happens, Windows attempts to recover and reset the graphics hardware. If the GPU is unable to recover and reset the graphics hardware in the time permitted (2 seconds), your system may become unresponsive, and display the error “Display driver stopped responding and has recovered.”

Giving the Timeout Detection and Recovery feature more time to complete this operation by adjusting the registry value, may resolve this issue.

Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up the registry in Windows 7, see Back up the registry <http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Back-up-the-registry>

To have us modify the registry value for you, go to the "Fix it for me <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2665946#FixItForMeAlways> " section. If you prefer to modify the registry value yourself, go to the "Let me fix it myself <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2665946#LetMeFixItMyselfAlways> " section.

Fix it for me

To fix this problem automatically, click the Fix it button or link. Then click Run in the File Download dialog box, and follow the steps in the Fix it wizard.

Fix this problem <http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9805447

Microsoft Fix it 50848

I downloaded and ran the file and uninstalled my driver in device manager rebooted and let windows choose an older driver for my 285 ge force card...its all been working smoothly tonight, although I have said that many times for months....

PS it drives me crazy but for those who saw the post about adobe constantly re conforming audio files...the fix in Windows was to go to %appdata% in the search bar, under adobe / under Premier Pro eliminate or rename the cs6 folder, restart and let all the files re conform one time and then I am good for a few weeks.....what drives me nuts is that I have to do this kind of crap at all!!!!

thanks all

Charlie

• 2. Re: The Mac CS6 "Serious Error" thread
            Lewiz Level 1

Hi Charlie,

thanks for your last post. I tried the registry tweak a couple of times with different time values and encouraged by your message I tried again -to no avail- but I did find something pretty strange:

I run WINDOWS 7 and as we all know, it's 64-bit. One would therefore expect a Q-WORD in the register, which is for 64-bit operating systems, instead of a D-WORD (for 32-bit OS's) to define TdrDelay.

In fact, the auto-modifying link from Microsoft, which you used, did exactly that: enter a Q-WORD in ControlSet002 with a value of 8 (both hexadecimal and decimal).

Because it didn't solve the constant Premiere crashes, I played around with values and the D-WORD variant as well... and I came up with the following:

THE D-WORD causes Premiere to WAIT before it HANGS for EXACTLY the amount of seconds entered. I used a stopwatch to check this. The Q-WORD does NOT give any noticeable difference in behaviour AT ALL.

This comes to me as totally weird, because my Windows 7 OS seems not to react to 64-bit registry entries, whereas it DOES react in a very EXACT manner to 32-bit entries...???????????

I'm puzzled, but it brings me to suspect that there is some kind of 32-bit vs. 64-bit conflict going on.

Now I seem to remember having read somewhere that when Adobe first launched CS5, the entire package was known to be 64-bit, but in fact some components were still 32-bit. One of them was Premiere (rumour). We all know Photoshop, Illustrator and Bridge are STILL included in the Master Collection as both 32- and 64-bit. Premiere offers no such choice and is presumed to be 64-bit, according to both Adobe and the company that built my computer.

What if Premiere CS5 was still 32-bit and Premiere CS6 is 64-bit all of a sudden? Wouldn't that mean a great difference for the MPE as well? Or maybe Premiere is still 32-bit but the MPE software isn't, it's 64-bit. And in that case, should all the nVidia drivers not be 64-bit either? I think the entire CUDA card is working on a 32-bit base, because a 32-bit D-WORD clearly affects the timing of the error, so the display drivers HAVE TO BE 32-bit as well. And if so, how come it DOES work on most PCs? And why aren't there any 64-bit drivers for nVidia yet? Or could this bit-problem be a thing that can be solved by a Windows setting or motherboard tweak?

I think I am getting nearer to the answer that no-one seems to be able to give. Thanks and good luck anyway!

• 3. Re: The Mac CS6 "Serious Error" thread
              Charles832 Level 1

Please stay in touch and let me know how it turns out for you because my experience this past 18 months is it is not over till its over, and it probably still isnt over....thanks

• 4. Re: The Mac CS6 "Serious Error" thread
                Charles832 Level 1

Well it lasted one night...lost an hour of work this morning.,.....The nvidia openGL driver detected a problem with the display driver and is unable to continue. The application must close.....here we go again.....

Please let me know in detail how you adjusted this fix and the steps you took...Thanks

• 5. Re: The Mac CS6 "Serious Error" thread
                  SteveHoeg Adobe Employee

What driver version are you running? There are currently problems with 300 series drives and we suggest 297.

• 6. Re: Premiere Pro Crashing On Windows
                    Charles832 Level 1

• 7. Re: Premiere Pro Crashing On Windows
                      Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

[Branched to a new discussion]

• 8. Re: Premiere Pro Crashing On Windows
                        Charles832 Level 1

Can everyone who is having this OPEN GL Driver crash in Premier Pro let us know what NVIDIA card you are using and which driver?

I am using GEFORCE 285

Replaced card once, and have tried just about every trick in the book and still get this crash several times per day. Just lost a good hour of work this morning...Save Save Save...Learn

• 9. Re: Premiere Pro Crashing On Windows
                          Charles832 Level 1

Has anyone called tech support recently about this issue to see if there is a patch or if they even acknowledge the issue?

• 10. Re: Premiere Pro Crashing On Windows
                            Lewiz Level 1

Hi Charles,

I have contacted tech support of both nVidia and Adobe and the issue has been called `unique` by each technician and can therefore hardly be called acknowledged, IMHO.

By the way: I haven't fixed the issue yet, tried EVERY nVidia driver between 276.45 and 310.something, tried more tweaking on the TdrDelay registry key, but it seems hopeless. I will be working with Premiere CS6 with CUDA acceleration switched OFF for the coming time; it is still pretty fast without. But a solution, nope.

• 11. Re: Premiere Pro Crashing On Windows
                              Lewiz Level 1

Hi Charles,

I forgot to answer this one: i have an nVidia Quadro 4000 card and as said, tried every nVidia driver between 276.42 and the (beta) 310.something driver. The latest one for me at the moment is the 307.45. There are hardly any noticeable differences in effect comparing the drivers. Some of them, the older ones, make the entire system crash and most of them simply crash Premiere.

The 64bit registry tweaking seems to have no effect at all, at least not on the timing of the crash, whereas the 32bit tweaks DO. Weird, eh?

Actually I hope nVidia will finally bring out partner certified drivers for the Quadro 4000 very, very soon; they still only support Premiere up to version CS5... but I think we are already getting nearer to CS7 in the bl**dy meanwhile.

Anyway, I'll keep an eye on this forum.

• 12. Re: Premiere Pro Crashing On Windows
                                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>using GEFORCE 285

There is a known problem with driver 306.97 (maybe others)

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1084197

• 13. Re: Premiere Pro Crashing On Windows
                                  Lewiz Level 1

Dear, dear people: The endless quest has come to an end.

It seems now that some of you have been pointing in the right direction, although the very details of the cause of this problem are still a little mysterious to me.

Today I received a parcel from the company that built my system. The contents: a brand new Quadro 4000 card. I swapped it with my old Quadro 4000 and everything works like a charm now.

I am still puzzled how it can be possible that, at any given moment, I could start up Premiere CS FIVE and experience no CUDA problems at all, while working with Premiere CS SIX appeared impossible - seemingly due to a proven hardware problem now. But then, the CUDA was still powerful enough for older versions of Premiere? I am still amazed that a graph card can be partially broken... and the defect only becomes visible with newer software... weird.

Anyway, I wish to thank all of you here for helping me with the best of your knowledge and ideas. I am sorry to have wasted so much of your time with something that was as simple as replacing the hardware.... shame on me.

I'd like to take this opportunity to wish you all an incredibly merry Christmas and a very inspiring, creative New Year ! So long!

Regards,

Tom Verweij