9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 12, 2013 10:39 AM by lbsimpson

How do I migrate metadata from Final Cut Server for use in Premiere?

mike_ritchie

We're one of many companies looking to move to Premiere Pro from Final Cut.

We have thousands of tagged clips in Final Cut Server and I'm trying to find a way to export all that metadata so it can be used, and searched for, within Premiere Pro.

Does anyone know if/how this could be achieved?

The only thing I've found online that seems to be relevant is this:

http://www.andre-aulich.de/en/perm/export-asset-metadata-from-final-cut-server-using-built in-tools-only

This seems to explain how to export the metadata (although I don't fully understand it) but not how to make it useful for Premiere.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• 1. Re: How do I migrate metadata from Final Cut Server for use in Premiere?
          jstrawn Adobe Employee

There are ways to bring final projects in prpro (which I can outline if needed). But Final Cut Server is a different situation. From what I've gathered from some of my peers, I'd say that the link you found is the best thing to try. We (he PrPro dev/qa) would actually like to know what happens when you try to bring metadata into prPro that way. (you should be able to bring the xml in and it shoudl have SOME metadat attached) So if you feel like giving it a go and letting us know what happens that would be great.

I would try it myself but I don;t have a fcp server workflow accessible to me and don't have the bandwidth to set it up. Sorry, I wish I could jsut tell you how to make it work perfectly, but I didn;t know anyone was even using FCP server still...

Thanks a lot for your insightful inquiry.

• 2. Re: How do I migrate metadata from Final Cut Server for use in Premiere?
            mike_ritchie Level 1

Thanks for your reply. I'll do a bit more investigation, try some things out and keep this post updated if I can find a solution.

• 3. Re: How do I migrate metadata from Final Cut Server for use in Premiere?
              Allynn Wilkinson Level 2

We, too, are a former FC Server house.  I'd like to make a plug for the server we **should** have bought! 

Looks like Cat-DV has an FC Server migration tool:

http://www.squarebox.co.uk/fcsimport.html

Cat-DV is a great file organization system.  Not quite what FC Server was (may it rest in pieces) but veryful featured and flexible.

It also has a nice workflow with Premiere:

http://www.squarebox.co.uk/premiere.html

Definitely worth downloading the free trial and reading up on their website

• 4. Re: How do I migrate metadata from Final Cut Server for use in Premiere?
                mike_ritchie Level 1

Is something like CatDV even necessary with the metadata tagging/searching tools built into Premiere Pro?

We never use the proxy files generated by FCSvr and recently have found a better workflow for checking projects in/out. So CatDV seems very expensive for what we need, which is essentially a robust and easy-to-use way to edit and search for metadata.

Or am I missing something about CatDV?

Looking further ahead, Adobe Anywhere sounds like it might completely blow software like CatDV out of the water. But maybe that's going too far off topic

• 5. Re: How do I migrate metadata from Final Cut Server for use in Premiere?
                  Allynn Wilkinson Level 2

Well... I'm a librarian by training so I use Cat-DV a little differently.

I use it to make a searchable archive of proxy files for entire hard drives.  I hook up a hard drive (say an old external) and point Cat-DV at it.  It makes a catalog (locally) that has all the metadata (most importantly "date created") and a small proxy or thumbnail if it's a still.  Then I unplug the drive, label it and put it on a shelf.  When I need to find something all I have to do is consult the local catalog.  I can search it (if I included any metadata) or, most likely, I'll just scrub around for date created.  Cat-DV will display the exact path to where the asset is.  I can search across multiple catalogs of drives without ever having to plug one in,  Once I find the file I want, I just plug in that drive to retreive the file.

I use it mostly for stills and some b-roll that gets used over and over.  For a variety of reasons, we never opted to make it a full replacement for FC Server. 

And another thing... you can do a heck of a lot with the $99 or $300 version.  You don't need to go the full enterprise server route (though you do have to do that to use the server functions). 

You might also want to try Adobe Bridge for searching and editing metadata.  In my experience, it's always been slow with video but that may well have changed.  I haven't played with it in a while

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: How do I migrate metadata from Final Cut Server for use in Premiere?
                    mike_ritchie Level 1

Thanks for the insight, makes a sense and I can see how CatDV would be useful in certain situations.

I initially thought about Adobe Bridge for managing metadata but from the tests we've done with Premiere Pro, I think the bult-in metadata tools there are excellent. Just trying to find a way to save all our precious metadata that we've spent hours and hours tagging in FCSvr!

• 7. Re: How do I migrate metadata from Final Cut Server for use in Premiere?
                      jstrawn Adobe Employee

For video, PrPro will make the most relevant metadata the most accessible to you. Prelude will have all the same plus some great tagging/marker options. So if PrPro doesn't have all that you need I recommend Prelude over Bridge... for VIDEO. (for photos/vector graphics, etc... Bridge is better, I think) ...but like all of our products, you can usually find a way to do what you want in several different ways, and one is not necessarily better... it's just what works best for YOU.

But that still doesn't totally solve the issue of how to bring all your metadata over to PrPro from FC Server with 100% accuracy and ease of access to it. I still haven't found anything better than the link you first presented. Hopefully someone else can shed some light. We just need another FP Server ---> PrPro user to show up, which is probably a pretty small pool of people.

• 8. Re: How do I migrate metadata from Final Cut Server for use in Premiere?
                        Andre Aulich

You can migrate your Final Cut Server environment to Cantemo Portal http://www.cantemo.com/portal.html using the CP Migration Tool http://moosystems.com/products/moofs-migration-tool/

Portal has a Premiere Pro plugin, which allows to search for items within your Premiere application: http://www.cantemo.com/premiereprocs6.html

• 9. Re: How do I migrate metadata from Final Cut Server for use in Premiere?
                          lbsimpson Level 1

Thanks for sharing this link about CatDV>>PPro integration.  I am working to establish that workflow myself, but am workign with CatDV v.9 which does not feature the handy "send ot PPro CS6" command. 

Is anyone familiar with CatDV9 and PPro metadata integration?  I have tried using FCP7 XML files exported/imported to CatDV and PPro (I've tried going both directions) but have experienced some hiccups. 

Please read this CreativeCow post linked below for more details:

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/278/3169

Any thoughts or suggestiosn will be greatly appreciated1  I'm trying to get upgraded to CatDV v10, but it is not to happen any time soon.

Lindsay