11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 29, 2012 6:01 AM by TLL...

PhaseOne iXA in Camera Raw?

TLL... Level 3

Does anyone know if the PhaseOne iXA (industrial sensor) 80mp system is compatable with Camera Raw/ Bridge workflow?

• 1. Re: PhaseOne iXA in Camera Raw?
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I just checked on the Adobe download site, and none of the lists include that camera.  There is no way for you to find out when/if it will be supported in the future, other than to simply wait and see.

• 2. Re: PhaseOne iXA in Camera Raw?
            TLL... Level 3

Yeah, I looked too and didn't see anything. Was hoping that maybe I'd get an idea whether we would be forced to integrate PhaseOne's post proccessing software rather than our current investment in Adobe if we pull the pin on a iXA purchase. Thanks for the reply!

• 3. Re: PhaseOne iXA in Camera Raw?
              ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Do you have a sample image from that camera you could upload to DropBox or similar and provide a download link for? 

If they are DNGs then they might be supported immediately w/o having to have a specific profile created by Adobe…since that is the idea of camera’s producing DNGs instead of proprietary raw files.

• 4. Re: PhaseOne iXA in Camera Raw?
                TLL... Level 3

Sorry I don't have anything @the moment. The camera is designed for aerial acquisition and we are comparing it to a similar system from Leica. We had the Leica in one of our aircraft some time back and had some image quality issues and I suggested PhaseOne because of their traditional photography leadership. I've requested access to some camera files and will get back here if they comply (you'd think they wouldn't snub a potential customer )

• 5. Re: PhaseOne iXA in Camera Raw?

This specs page for the iXA 180 camera says it outputs Phase One Raw which I think are IIQ extension files, so answer is likely No, you cannot use Adobe products with this camera’s images:

http://industrial.phaseone.com/en/Aerial-Camera-Systems/iXA/iXA-180-specs.aspx

• 6. Re: PhaseOne iXA in Camera Raw?

Even if you could process the files in ACR, there might still be problems, that require some Photoshop tricks to minimize:

http://www.davidebarranca.com/2012/04/phase-one-digital-back-adobe-camera-raw-7-cs6-paneli ng-bug/

(This article references ACR 7.0 which did not have CA-correction built in.  This feature was added to more recent versions of ACR 7 so that comments about it not transferring across are not applicable, anymore.)

• 7. Re: PhaseOne iXA in Camera Raw?
                      Jeff Schewe Level 5

TLL... wrote:

Does anyone know if the PhaseOne iXA (industrial sensor) 80mp system is compatable with Camera Raw/ Bridge workflow?

As far as I can tell, the back on the camera appears to be an IQ 180 camera back (there's also a 160 version). Unless Phase has done something weird to the back, I think the raw files would be compatible with ACR 7.x and LR 4.x. I also suspect the lenses listed are thae same lenses used on the 645 camera and made by Schneider, so there should be lens profiles. I think the big thing with the iXA camera is the custom camera body that allows remore placement and triggering...but you should prolly call Phase One to confirm that

US: +1 (631) 547-8900

• 8. Re: PhaseOne iXA in Camera Raw?
                        Jeff Schewe Level 5

ssprengel wrote:

Even if you could process the files in ACR, there might still be problems, that require some Photoshop tricks to minimize:

http://www.davidebarranca.com/2012/04/phase-one-digital-back-adobe-cam era-raw-7-cs6-paneling-bug/

Actually, that article references an issue (that the author mistakenly calls a paneling bug) that "some" backs may have. Not all backs mind you–my IQ 180 and my previous P65+ didn't. I have seen some backs have the issue of inaccurate stitching of the sub-sensor arrays (what he calls panels) and in my experience, that means the back should go into Phase One for service. Adobe worked hard with Phase One to add the ability to make use of the sub-sensor array calibration to help eliminate the issue but some backs are gonna be worse than others. If the calibration file doesn't match the actual sensor (or the sensor somehow changed) the only alternative is to have it serviced...

• 9. Re: PhaseOne iXA in Camera Raw?

It’s good to hear that Adobe interprets the sub-sensor calibration data because the article’s author didn’t give that impression.  I agree if that data doesn’t match reality, then there’ll be issues with any raw processor.

Assuming that the IQ180 and the iXA cameras use the same sensor, as long as the metadata in the raw files from each camera don’t contain different values for what Adobe uses to identify the camera then there shouldn’t be a problem, but it would be nice to see an actual raw from an iXA to verify this.

• 10. Re: PhaseOne iXA in Camera Raw?
                            TLL... Level 3

Hey thanks Jeff

I was thinking the same thing regarding the actual sensors being used - P1 is basically 'ruggedizing' their ground based cameras for aerial use.

Re calling them: I haven't heard from them on a web inquiry so that looks like the next thing to do. Need a tactful was of saying "I don't want to use your software, but does Adobe's work?"

Oh, and if you're still out there Jeff, as an owner of the P1's do you think its possible to overlay, pixel for pixel as an alpha channel an image captured with a IR filtered P1 sensor onto an RGB image simultaneously captured with a second P1 - given that a mounting system provides the same nadir point for the lenses?

A medium format aerial camera system by Hexagon/Leica Geosystems (RCD30) does this with a beam splitter and two sensors using a single lens, however the image quality of the system (not to mention a 400k pricetag) we tested left a bit to be desired. So our engineers are looking @ using a couple P1 camera to accomplish a similar task more economically.

• 11. Re: PhaseOne iXA in Camera Raw?
                              TLL... Level 3

"but it would be nice to see an actual raw from an iXA to verify this."

That's what I'm trying to get @ the moment - I'll look at the article link though, thanks for your reply!